• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PR#1
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

I read yesterday that Okung is going to miss the first 6 games.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
      He has to now with his designation by the team. I can't remember which reporter wrote it, but I read somewhere yesterday that speaking with someone close to the team, the thought is he could miss the entire season.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
        At a bare minimum.
        Still think it is very unlikely he plays this season if ever.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

I thought I had read it as he would miss AT LEAST the 1st 6 games. Which means it could (probably will) be somewhat longer.

Comment

• Boltsfan70
            East Coast Chargers Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • PA transplant living in S. Carolina
            • Send PM

I said from day one his football career is over.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I thought I had read it as he would miss AT LEAST the 1st 6 games. Which means it could (probably will) be somewhat longer.
              That is as soon as he can be activated.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                I'd fire Pat Meyers before TT. Just not a fan of watching the all too often Chinese fire drill he calls Oline play.
                I brought this up in another thread but if you base it on PFF's rankings, how we did towards the end of the season, and the fact that Mike Munchak was available, then yeah sure we should have fired him and somehow gotten Munchak.

But since we didn't, I can only conclude that he's still here because of our overall record last year, the fact that we had one of the best offenses in the league, and our run blocking had substantially improved to the point where we were #5 last season according to Footballoutsider. The problem is that our sack total went up substantially in 2018 compared to 2017. Hence a problem. That is something that definitely needs to greatly improve this year. As well as the QB pressure rate. But as a whole, you have to take into account both pass blocking and run blocking when evaluating the OL and the coach. A good run game can help take pressure off of a QB (see the Rams and Jared Goff).

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...-pressure-2018

The irony is that according to another analytic breakdown, Meyers OL tend to be worse at run blocking than pass blocking (at least in terms of sacks):

Others, like Munchak and the Chargers' Pat Meyer, are historically good in Sack Value but historically poor in TFL Value.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

That is as soon as he can be activated.
                  Yeah that's correct. He has to wait at least 6 games since the NFI is similar to the PUP list.

Comment

• BearWithJetpack
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Add me to the list of people who do not expect Okung to ever step on a professional football field in a playing capacity ever again.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BearWithJetpack View Post
                      Add me to the list of people who do not expect Okung to ever step on a professional football field in a playing capacity ever again.
                      I would not be at all shocked. It's sad, really...both for Okung, and us. Even if he does come back, you have to figure shortened career...that is a best case scenario.

It is time to quit fucking around, once and for all. Next years offseason game plan needs to be centered around both the end of River's career, and a smooth start for whoever replaces him...that means oline. We have plenty of youth and depth on this team...so if we have to trade up to get the prospects we need, so be it.

Obviously, I would prefer that as the season plays out, some of the young guys we are throwing out there this year will rise to the challenge, and develop into solid or even really good offensive lineman...but I'm a Charger fan, folks.

Hope for the best....expect the worst...and see what happens.
                      The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• captaind
                        Cook This Pork Chops
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Mars
                        • Ball Holder
                        • Send PM

Have I just been oblivious to this, or is this a new trend? First Okung, then a lineman for the Patriots, now the below lineman at the University of Tennessee:

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...tt/2190695001/

Offensive lineman Trey Smith played 31 snaps during the season opener and probably could have handled a bigger workload, Pruitt said. It marked Smith's return to game action since he was sidelined the final five games of last season because of blood clots in his lungs.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Okung will play again...if he wants to. Does he want to take the chance? Will he psychologically be the same player or will he play scared? But he can definitely play again. It is just a matter of getting off the blood thinners.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X