• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say we have quite a bit of talent on the OL. We have 3 positions that need improvement, either by players stepping up a level or FA/draft.
    Tevi has had enough of the haters.
    Says so on social media.
    Sam's gonna break out.
    Something's gotta give.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      I actually thought Quessenberry looked promising. At this point, he is a more experienced pro than Lamp. That could be your second starter. Q @ OG. Lamp @ OT. Camp competition. And don't sleep on Trent Scott. There are plenty of scrubs who could surprise.
      I don't like moving Quessenberry around especially given Pouncey's injury history. He should stay as a versatile backup but the future at center if all goes well.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

'tis some intrigue to speculate as to where Risner ends up.... some have him as a solid in round one and whereas others have him day two ??

personally would love it if Brugler is right and Cajuste is a day three guy, and that we up and decide to preempt things @91.

http://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/3-prospect-fits-to-improve-chargers-offensive-line

my three Olinemen of choice atm are McCoy, Cajuste and Prince, albeit good to see the Chargers get some run here/above.
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don't like moving Quessenberry around especially given Pouncey's injury history. He should stay as a versatile backup but the future at center if all goes well.
          I guess you don't like Toner (hehe)

Qberry looked pretty good at OG in '18.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

It is a huge step forward for AL to announce
            that Forrest Lamp will get some consideration at OT.

Up to this point, it has been declared that he is strictly a Guard.

There are a few of us who have long projected Lamp to potentially be the successor to Russell Okung.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Any thoughts on Bobby Evans @ 60 ?

Joe Marino of The Draft Network just posted a column yesterday suggesting we do this.
              Greg Gabriel of Pro Football Weekly likes Evans too.

Long arms, powerful punch and good footwork stand out for me. Evans looks at ease at OLT, after switching over from ORT. A narrow base might be considered a negative, but there are plenty of tools here for Pat Meyer to work with.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Any thoughts on Bobby Evans @ 60 ?

Joe Marino of The Draft Network just posted a column yesterday suggesting we do this.
                Greg Gabriel of Pro Football Weekly likes Evans too.

Long arms, powerful punch and good footwork stand out for me. Evans looks at ease at OLT, after switching over from ORT. A narrow base might be considered a negative, but there are plenty of tools here for Pat Meyer to work with.
                I'm not seeing that...most of what I read is that he is a below average athlete with heavy feet, and I read somewhere else that he is already playing with a couple of bulky knee braces...

Now on the bright side, He had pretty good tape before he moved over to LT, and a lot of his evaluations on his athleticism are based on his athletic ability against premiere speed on the blind side. He may very well be a very good RT prospect, and that is where I would see him...as maybe an instant upgrade at that position. But I don't see him as a guy we may eventually develop into our starting LT.

At 60? Meh...why not? He isn't one of my favorites, but a decent prospect who has a chance to instantly upgrade a position in need of it...there are worse ways to spend a late 2nd.
                Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Evans has problems with footwork, specifically "slide shuffle."

Can that be coached up ?

His other skills fit Pat Meyer.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Tevi has had enough of the haters.
                    Says so on social media.
                    Sam's gonna break out.
                    Something's gotta give.
                    They knew Tevi was a project when they drafted him. He's grown by leaps and bounds since....starting in his 2nd year here. He was rock solid against Baltimore in the playoffs having seen them before. In college, Tevi's mistakes were errors of recognition due to his inexperience at the position.

They can roll with Tevi and succeed, particularly because their arch rivals don't present a lot of pressure off of the edge.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Tevi has grown leaps and bounds. I expect him to continue to improve. However, that has nothing to do with whether or not I draft an OL.

If I was TT I would be thinking.

Choices:
                      Leave Tevi at RT
                      Draft another RT and let them compete, with the idea that one or both could eventually move to LT.
                      Draft a RT and move Tevi inside to OG.

at this point, there is no way to choose or rule out any of those. They are just choices that I keep in my head every time I see the name of a possible FA or draft pick.

Similar issue with Feeney, Lamp and to a lesser degree Pouncey. I know that Lynn just said something about having Lamp play OT so he could potentially be active. That doesn't change anything. We are at the prep part of the season, those are all moves looking ahead, not decisions that have been made. We need to improve the RT and interior OL spots, so everything needs to be done to do that. We still have other needs, so they are probably going to have to do their best to improve on a budget. May not be the OL necessarily, but if we spend a lot of picks at OL, then we are going to need to find a DT, LB, FS, ...... somewhere.

Teams talked of Feeney as a potential OG and C, with some mentioned the depth he brings to OT, since he played there in college. Lamp had most teams talking about him across the board because his build is more of an interior OL type, but I had him as one of the best OT in college football his senior year. Pouncey probably isn't going anywhere this season, but his contract runs out at the end of the year, and a replacement makes it easy to save cap space for others.

As far as Bobby Evans goes, I don't think his kick slide and his footwork need that much work. He needs a lot of work on his flexibility and bending and maintaining a better base, but he actually does OK getting out into space and taking the angles away from rushers. He, like most of today's OT tends to like to engage the rushers really close to the line. That is nice if you can get your hands on them and neutralize the defender. But most of the time, that means you are giving the rusher a go past you. Better to take your time, and keep between the rusher and the QB. Engaging the edge rusher too quickly makes you too much like DJ Fluker. Great short set pass protector, horrible at taking the angles away. Bobby Evans can play the angles and defeat edge players, but he seems to like to set up close. Is that something he is coached to do, or just what he likes to do. Either way, he needs to learn to be an NFL OT.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Tijuana
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agreed. Steve.
                        In watching game tape as the 2018 season progressed.
                        , you could see what was happening at IOL.

It was a dance.
                        Intricate timing was everything.
                        At first it did not work
                        Then it clicked.
                        Then the unit was spent.
                        Then we had @ BAL.,
                        followed by @ NE..
                        What's needed is more consistency
                        and cohesion.

It is no surprise that Lamp did not get in,
                        for reasons independent of draft status
                        and bust factor.

This year, if Lamp dresses
                        and is a backup at several positions,
                        does that make him a bust ?

More significantly, does it make it reasonable
                        to declare him a bust
                        beginning half way through the 2018 season ?

C'mon, don't poison the well water
                        with this overly repetitive cheap talk.
                        Discern between Lamp and Tuerk/Watt.
                        Be patient.
                        Lamp im expecting to start at one of the OG spots. He is more talented than either Schofield or Feeney. He just don't have the reps[/QUOTE]

am I supposed to read this as a song or a poem?

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Tijuana
                          • Send PM

draft 2 OL, a RT in the first 3 rounds and a G/T project in later rounds, how about that guy fro SDSU Tyler Roemer?

Comment

Working...
                          X