Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Arian Foster
    Fred Jackson
    Priest Holmes...... three damn good RBs off the top of my head. None of them drafted.
    Yep...and if we want to include undrafted QBs, there's this group:
    Warren Moon
    Kurt Warner
    Tony Romo

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I know the RB position is "devalued" but you people who want to rely on 2 UDFA's and 7th rounder are taking it to the extreme.
      He is not even following LAC on Instagram anymore.

It's over.

The sadness is real.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

TT has ignored the interior of the defensive line for many years. Every year the same thing happens down the stretch and every year I complain about it lol. Bosa and Ingram get negated while QB's waltz up the pocket. Either that, or they are forced to play the run, because we get gashed up the middle. I would much rather have gone all in with a proven beast of a DT this year with some of our cap + the money we are wasting on Tyrod Taylor. What a missed opportunity IMO.

We will be very lucky if our DT draft acquisition(s) pan out. I am not confident about the position, but will gladly be surprised otherwise.

Having said that, the coaching in that game was horrendous. Great coaches overcome/mask weaknesses or injuries to key players. Lynn is a great motivator, but an X's and O's guy, he is not. Whiz is mediocre IMO - I think we could do a lot more on offense with a better OC. Bradley has shown promise, but boy the lack of adjustment in that Patriot game was enough to cast doubt. Chargers have a lot of talent, but the Pats are leaps and bounds ahead of the Chargers in the coaching department - it's more than enough to overcome a talent differential.
        All our DTs are TT hires since Liuget was released. You might not like the results. IMO they are an up & coming unit with Jones, Tillery and Broughton.Last year was solid overall on D, a top 10 unit. The end of the year looked bad with out top 3T & LBs out.
        LAC's defense is deeper & more talented across the board in 2019.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

I know the RB position is "devalued" but you people who want to rely on 2 UDFA's and 7th rounder are taking it to the extreme.
          If only draft position guaranteed profuction level. Out RB depth produced vs top reg season opponents.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Denver got by for years with late round picks and UDFA players. At the time, they were consistently among the best running games in football. Anthony Lynn was a product of that system.

Would it help if I told you the PFF grades for the 4 players (MG, JJ, DN and Ekeler) all had similar grades last season? The only skill grade that was substantially different was JJ had a very low pass protection grade, which is very common among young RB.

How many other top RB have been late round picks or UDFA? You think Lindsay is a waste as a starting RB in Denver? How about Terrell Davis (granted a late 6th round pick, not a 7th, but is a hall of fame RB). How about Adrian Foster? Priest Holmes? Fred Jackson for the Bills? Marion Motley is in the HOF? Joe Perry (49ers). And a hell of a lot of those players were in drafts that took a lot more players than in today's draft), so a lot more players got taken in front of them.

You are probably also forgetting back in the 70's, 80's and even into the 90's, a large proportion of the 1st round players are either bust's or underperformers. Gordon has been banged up and is rapidly approaching the age where backs start to fail. Who is to say that he is not going to fade sooner rather than later? There are no guarantees either way. But history is on the side of the lower round/UDFA RB.

Our RB have at least flashed big time ability in big games. Again, not a gaureentee of any sort, but a pretty good sign. And typically if you have 3 guys competeing for 1 spot, it works out pretty well for the team.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Charger fans have a charming trait. Loving to root for the underdog no matter what. I'm done with that. I want studs. Thoroughbreds. You wanna bet we found another Gates or other exception to the general rule? Go for it. We'll come up short again but god dang it we will have played our little hearts out.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Denver got by for years with late round picks and UDFA players. At the time, they were consistently among the best running games in football. Anthony Lynn was a product of that system.

Would it help if I told you the PFF grades for the 4 players (MG, JJ, DN and Ekeler) all had similar grades last season? The only skill grade that was substantially different was JJ had a very low pass protection grade, which is very common among young RB.

How many other top RB have been late round picks or UDFA? You think Lindsay is a waste as a starting RB in Denver? How about Terrell Davis (granted a late 6th round pick, not a 7th, but is a hall of fame RB). How about Adrian Foster? Priest Holmes? Fred Jackson for the Bills? Marion Motley is in the HOF? Joe Perry (49ers). And a hell of a lot of those players were in drafts that took a lot more players than in today's draft), so a lot more players got taken in front of them.

You are probably also forgetting back in the 70's, 80's and even into the 90's, a large proportion of the 1st round players are either bust's or underperformers. Gordon has been banged up and is rapidly approaching the age where backs start to fail. Who is to say that he is not going to fade sooner rather than later? There are no guarantees either way. But history is on the side of the lower round/UDFA RB.

Our RB have at least flashed big time ability in big games. Again, not a gaureentee of any sort, but a pretty good sign. And typically if you have 3 guys competeing for 1 spot, it works out pretty well for the team.
                I remember that Denver system and it was exceptional based on questionable blocking techniques. I'm not saying UDFa's can't turn out to be great but it's the exception. I do t like relying on the exception.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                  The Precious
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Charger fans have a charming trait. Loving to root for the underdog no matter what. I'm done with that. I want studs. Thoroughbreds. You wanna bet we found another Gates or other exception to the general rule? Go for it. We'll come up short again but god dang it we will have played our little hearts out.

Lol......

we we just want a ring. Just one. Before we die.

Comment

• SDBORN
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

All our DTs are TT hires since Liuget was released. You might not like the results. IMO they are an up & coming unit with Jones, Tillery and Broughton. Last year was solid overall on D, a top 10 unit. The end of the year looked bad with out top 3T & LBs out.
                    LAC's defense is deeper & more talented across the board in 2019.
                    My biggest problem is that no one on that list is proven. Is there potential there? Sure. They could be great, a mixed bag, or a total bust.

If they pan out great, but if they don't, we are in the same boat as we have been for years. We are pretty heavily relying on the draft for the interior line, which has been a weakness for years now. Would have been nice to at least have one proven FA at that position who isn't over the hill (like an aged Mebane was).

As always, I'm hoping for the best, but it doesn't make me confident.

Comment

• SDBORN
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

Lol......

we we just want a ring. Just one. Before we die.
                      I'm about 30 years in and waiting so far. I know there are many who have been waiting much longer.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

I don't think anyone here wants to rely on those players, we'd rather have Gordon honor his contract and come to camp. But since he waited until after free agency and the draft to try and squeeze the Chargers for more money while still under contract, that is what we are stuck with.

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Meh. Gordon has averaged 66yds rushing per game. HE has produced TDS, but has a lot of scoring chances. he has produced better as a receiver, but 1 year over 4 ypc is hardly irreplaceable production. Btw, the general rule now is you don't need to spend big money on RB.

Comment

Working...
                          X