• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PR#1
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

MGIII is still under his 5th year option in his contract. The 5th year doesn't go away if he simply decides not to play. He must report by week 10 to get credit for the season and for filling his contract. If he doesn't he will still be under the Chargers control on his contract. This could include all fines occurred during this season.
    According to the article from CBS Sports (not a hack site) he already has 4 years of service and has already accrued enough service to be a FA.

I'm just passing along what I read. If the article is correct according to the rules of the current CBA, Gordon won't show this year at all.

Did you read the article ?

Comment

• maurile
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

MGIII is still under his 5th year option in his contract. The 5th year doesn't go away if he simply decides not to play. He must report by week 10 to get credit for the season and for filling his contract. If he doesn't he will still be under the Chargers control on his contract. This could include all fines occurred during this season.
      The week 10 thing is wrong. The rest is right.

Comment

• maurile
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

According to the article from CBS Sports (not a hack site) he already has 4 years of service and has already accrued enough service to be a FA.

I'm just passing along what I read. If the article is correct according to the rules of the current CBA, Gordon won't show this year at all.

There's no such thing as "accruing enough seasons to become a free agent." You can be a free agent with zero years if you go undrafted. Tom Brady has accrued like 27 years and yet he's not a free agent.

Accruing years doesn't make you a free agent. It determines what kind of free agent you'll be whenever you become a free agent by virtue of not being under contract.

Gordon already has four accrued seasons, so whenever he becomes a free agent, he'll be unrestricted.

But he won't ever become a free agent by not playing.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

The guy that wrote the article is wrong. Hey he is a journalist and probably don't know all the stipulations of 5th year options and contracts.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by maurile View Post

Not it isn't. He must report by week 10. If he reports week 11, he won't get credit for this season. He can report before week 10 though

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I wonder, are MGs agents reading articles like that and advising him accordingly, and they're all sitting back thinking, "Woohoo, sit out all season ala Bell, then big money in free agency next year!"... Nah, those guys are geniuses, sure, MG is in good hands.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by maurile View Post

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Not it isn't. He must report by week 10. If he reports week 11, he won't get credit for this season. He can report before week 10 though
                What he said

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• PR#1
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

The guy that wrote the article is wrong. Hey he is a journalist and probably don't know all the stipulations of 5th year options and contracts.
                  And we as message board posters do ?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Apparently better than him lol. It's also been reported many times about the status of his situation with his contract and why he will report later.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Last edited by Panamamike; 09-11-2019, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• SYB
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

I know that I pretty regularly find inaccuracies in articles I read. A lot of these "journalists" are/were nothing more than message board posters themselves. The internet has made it really easy for random folks to suddenly become "reporters". Not that that is generally the case with CBS, but they're still capable of being wrong. And this guy is.

Comment

• maurile
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Week 10 is when players not under contract (e.g., franchise-tagged players) must report in order to earn an Accrued Season.

That's completely irrelevant to Gordon's situation because he doesn't need an Accrued Season and he's not under contract. (If he did need an Accrued Season, he'd have had to report by August 6, the date for players who are under contract.)
                          Last edited by maurile; 09-11-2019, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X