Shortstop!
    Adipose

Comment

• Yubaking
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
      Riddle me this. If Clary is as dogshit as his grades say he is, why the hell wasn't he cut long ago to upgrade, especially at his ridiculous salary? They're basically saying he's only better than about 10% of the guards out there. If he's that bad, they shouldn't want him at all even as a backup at the vet minimum. There are guys on the streets that graded higher and would be much cheaper.

Or maybe TT, MM and Coach D know infinitely more about the intricacies about OL play over some dudes who compile stats on a website and some guys who like to post on message boards. You know, because they've studied, played, coached, scouted this for their entire career.
      Emphatically, it is not the case that a player is automatically good if he is kept by an NFL team. Sometimes, there are reasons why they choose to keep a more marginal player as opposed to doing something else.

Further, teams make personnel mistakes all the time, probably at least one or two every single year and sometimes more. Just last year, we added Cox and got rid of Phillips. Both of those moves turned out to be detrimental to our team's success. The most accurate word to describe each of those two transactions is "mistake". The notion that they have to be right because they are professionals is simply not correct 100% of the time even if they are right the vast majority of the time.

In addition, I do not agree with your breakdown of PFF's analysis of Clary. If he is ranked 62nd among 71 qualifying OGs and there are 64 starting OGs in the NFL, doesn't that make Clary a marginal NFL starting OG? And isn't that exactly what he is? My view of Clary for years has been that I really would like him as a reserve (for reserve money) and that he does not represent much value as a starter. To me, that 62nd ranking (or whatever the exact ranking was) kind of says that. Seriously, does anyone think that Clary is anything significantly better than a marginal NFL starter? So what is so controversial about what PFF is saying?

Finally, there may be significance to the fact that the team has not approached Clary to extend him or restructure his deal. If they think they can make the moves that they want to make already, they may just want to let Clary finish off his deal so that they have more options (and are not necessarily tied to him) going forward. That would be one reason to ride it out with him this year. I am not saying that is what is happening, just that quality of performance is not necessarily the only factor involved in whether a player stays or goes.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
        Riddle me this. If Clary is as dogshit as his grades say he is, why the hell wasn't he cut long ago to upgrade, especially at his ridiculous salary? They're basically saying he's only better than about 10% of the guards out there. If he's that bad, they shouldn't want him at all even as a backup at the vet minimum. There are guys on the streets that graded higher and would be much cheaper.

Or maybe TT, MM and Coach D know infinitely more about the intricacies about OL play over some dudes who compile stats on a website and some guys who like to post on message boards. You know, because they've studied, played, coached, scouted this for their entire career.
        I don't want him cut but I do think his cap hit and the money to replace him would factor in. As well as the possibility that he will improve in his second season at Guard. He has played well before. Plus as the article mentions leadership, versatility and durability.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Opera singer and web developer.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
          Just last year, we added Cox and got rid of Phillips. Both of those moves turned out to be detrimental to our team's success.
          How was getting rid of Phillips detrimental to our team's success. By all accounts, team chemistry was as good as ever last season, and that's one of the biggest reasons we succeeded. Phillips seems not to have been a fit.
          Adipose

Comment

• Yubaking
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
            How was getting rid of Phillips detrimental to our team's success. By all accounts, team chemistry was as good as ever last season, and that's one of the biggest reasons we succeeded. Phillips seems not to have been a fit.
            Our pass rush was not very good last year. Phillips is a good pass rusher that got better results than anyone on our team last year in that area. To borrow from Charles Barkley, winning is a great deodorant. It tends to produce its own chemistry for the team. Phillips would have helped us to win and his absence from the Broncos would have really hurt them with Miller's issues. We screwed ourselves both ways (made us worse and the Broncos better) by not keeping him.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
              Our pass rush was not very good last year. Phillips is a good pass rusher that got better results than anyone on our team last year in that area. To borrow from Charles Barkley, winning is a great deodorant. It tends to produce its own chemistry for the team. Phillips would have helped us to win and his absence from the Broncos would have really hurt them with Miller's issues. We screwed ourselves both ways (made us worse and the Broncos better) by not keeping him.
              No. You can't just go back and assume Philips would have been equally effective in our defense and you can't assume he would have had the same impact. You also can't assume that the Donkeys wouldn't have signed someone else that would have potentially of had a superior impact than Philips for them.

And what about Keiser's INT vs. Manning? Maybe that doesn't happen and we don't make the playoffs. Maybe Philips gets hurt just like Freeney and English did. You can't just assume a player would have had the same effect. Shit maybe Ingram is IR'd and he's not even given the opportunity to come back.

Going back and reliving past decisions is just a waste of time because there are always a multitude of variables you can't even begin to account for.
              Last edited by Beerman; 03-29-2014, 08:15 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Heres come another 50 pages of Shaun Phillips mistake discussions now. Jesus Fucking Christ.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  Heres come another 50 pages of Shaun Phillips mistake discussions now. Jesus Fucking Christ.
                  I'm pretty sure this message board was covered in Dante's Inferno. I just can't remember which ring. Certainly one of the lower levels where the deceivers and hypocrites reside.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Send PM

Circle eight, bolgia nine.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      No. You can't just go back and assume Philips would have been equally effective in our defense and you can't assume he would have had the same impact. You also can't assume that the Donkeys wouldn't have signed someone else that would have potentially of had a superior impact than Philips for them.

And what about Keiser's INT vs. Manning? Maybe that doesn't happen and we don't make the playoffs. Maybe Philips gets hurt just like Freeney and English did. You can't just assume a player would have had the same effect. Shit maybe Ingram is IR'd and he's not even given the opportunity to come back.

Going back and reliving past decisions is just a waste of time because there are always a multitude of variables you can't even begin to account for.
                      There is no assuming of what Yubba cant assume...
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blahblahblah View Post
                        I'm pretty sure this message board was covered in Dante's Inferno. I just can't remember which ring. Certainly one of the lower levels where the deceivers and hypocrites reside.
                        Time to count this rings
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                          No Sir, I Dont Like It
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Section 457
                          • Migrant Film Worker
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blahblahblah View Post
                          Circle eight, bolgia nine.
                          Halftime or Final?
                          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X