X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree and don't know why Washington wouldn't jump for him. They signed Fitzpatrick who always falters and isn't the future of any team. Rosen would replace him by or before mid season.
    Miami signed Fitzpatrick. You are right that he always seems to falter, but are the Dolphins actually trying to win games and be competitive in the 2019 season or are they tanking for Tua? Or do they have their eyes on someone in this year's draft (Haskins, Lock, Jones, Grier)?

I think there is value in trading for Rosen, but at the same time I can see why Miami would rather keep hold of their draft pick because Rosen isn't a sure fire franchise quarterback. And I'm biased when it comes to UCLA because that's my college team, but even I am willing to admit that Rosen comes with a bit of risk and depending on your style of quarterback he may or may not be a fit (i.e he's a pocket passer, if you want someone with athleticism to extend plays with their legs then Rosen isn't your guy).

Washington could be a good fit for him long term, as would New York with the Giants.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

This is just how the game is played. Any team that wants him is going to try to get him on the cheap. After the season you tell the Cards, he has potential but is flawed. It is just like telling a car dealer that your dream car is a nice ride, but you are kinda worried about..... something. You don't give a damn about the something, you just say it to make the salesmen think you are willing to walk and start making him think about how low he will go to make the sale. Trading for Rosen is no different. You play the game.

If some team was in love with Rosen, they would have offered a #1 for him already. No team wants to give up a #1 pick if they can help it. They don't really want to give up a quality pick, but at some point you have to realize that you have to give up something for a guy that has decent value as a player and is cheap. In my mind, the 1st and 2nd round picks we really want to add help and a couple of impact players to put us in a position to compete for the AFC West. If the Cards want a 1st, and don't want our 3rd, then fine, let them get it from someone else.

If the Cards aren't getting what they want, they are going to play the game by being unhurried. The value for Rosen is pretty flat until minicamps start. They will want to wait and see what a team get via the draft, and who might still need a QB. Those teams may rethink what they want to spend, and so AZ is going to wait. A team like Washington is not going to want to trade for Rosen if they can get a rookie they like via the draft, they will want to wait it out and see what they get. If they can add more help with their draft but can't get a QB, and then trade next years #1 (think 2nd round value), and AZ goes for it, it works out pretty well for Washinton. Same for the Giants and Dolphins. And NE looking for value at backup QB.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
        Interesting that even though Tyrod was a starter for over 3 years, and at 29, Lynn still sees him as learning from PR...kind of late to start grooming a replacement IMHO...I think Tyrod is a backup and bridge to the Bolt QB of the future...and for SURE a huge upgrade over Smith & Jones...

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          This is just how the game is played. Any team that wants him is going to try to get him on the cheap. After the season you tell the Cards, he has potential but is flawed. It is just like telling a car dealer that your dream car is a nice ride, but you are kinda worried about..... something. You don't give a damn about the something, you just say it to make the salesmen think you are willing to walk and start making him think about how low he will go to make the sale. Trading for Rosen is no different. You play the game.

If some team was in love with Rosen, they would have offered a #1 for him already. No team wants to give up a #1 pick if they can help it. They don't really want to give up a quality pick, but at some point you have to realize that you have to give up something for a guy that has decent value as a player and is cheap. In my mind, the 1st and 2nd round picks we really want to add help and a couple of impact players to put us in a position to compete for the AFC West. If the Cards want a 1st, and don't want our 3rd, then fine, let them get it from someone else.

If the Cards aren't getting what they want, they are going to play the game by being unhurried. The value for Rosen is pretty flat until minicamps start. They will want to wait and see what a team get via the draft, and who might still need a QB. Those teams may rethink what they want to spend, and so AZ is going to wait. A team like Washington is not going to want to trade for Rosen if they can get a rookie they like via the draft, they will want to wait it out and see what they get. If they can add more help with their draft but can't get a QB, and then trade next years #1 (think 2nd round value), and AZ goes for it, it works out pretty well for Washinton. Same for the Giants and Dolphins. And NE looking for value at backup QB.
          I'm still not sold on the Bolts making an offer on Rosen, even after the Cards offer a discounted price later on...they have Tyrod whom Lynn really clicks with, and do you really see the Chargers carrying THREE QB's?

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I still think the timing is poor for Rosen, so I am not really in favor of it. I think there is a very good chance that IF we did get Rosen, we develop him just in time to have him leave. Sort of a more successful Brock Osweiler. Just pointing out it can work, but the best way to make these situations work out is to make sure you don't pay too much. You always have to be willing to walk away.

If we have a way of adding a guy we think is a QB of the future, I would be fine carrying 3 QB. On any given Sunday, one would be inactive, which would be Rosen to start with.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

I still think the timing is poor for Rosen, so I am not really in favor of it. I think there is a very good chance that IF we did get Rosen, we develop him just in time to have him leave. Sort of a more successful Brock Osweiler. Just pointing out it can work, but the best way to make these situations work out is to make sure you don't pay too much. You always have to be willing to walk away.

If we have a way of adding a guy we think is a QB of the future, I would be fine carrying 3 QB. On any given Sunday, one would be inactive, which would be Rosen to start with.
              If anything, Lynn prefers QB's with more mobility than Rosen, who is kind of Rivers-like in the pocket...so if the Bolts DO go QB, they would draft a mobile QB...but I'm guessing the Bolts extend Rivers 2 more years past this upcoming season, then draft his replacement when Phil has one year left...then after a 1-year groom, Rivers retires after the 2021 season...on the other hand, if the Bolts see one of the top 5-6 QB's still there at #28, it would be mighty tempting to pull the trigger, especially with that 5th year option...in that case it would be a one-year groom this season, then Rivers finishes up the last year on his current deal at the end of 2019, then retires...it would be surprising, but then, it COULD happen...and the $$$ they would pay a QB at #28 would be a LOT less than they would have to pay Rosen...
              Last edited by Topcat; 04-06-2019, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If anything, Lynn prefers QB's with more mobility than Rosen, who is kind of Rivers-like in the pocket...so if the Bolts DO go QB, they would draft a mobile QB...but I'm guessing the Bolts extend Rivers 2 more years past this upcoming season, then draft his replacement when Phil has one year left...then after a 1-year groom, Rivers retires after the 2021 season...on the other hand, if the Bolts see one of the top 5-6 QB's still there at #28, it would be mighty tempting to pull the trigger, especially with that 5th year option...in that case it would be a one-year groom this season, then Rivers finishes up the last year on his current deal at the end of 2019, then retires...it would be surprising, but then, it COULD happen...and the $$$ they would pay a QB at #28 would be a LOT less than they would have to pay Rosen...
                I don't think that is neccessary true. Geno wasn't all that mobile though more than Rivers but Rivers is also their guy and who isn't more mobile than Rivers lol. Cardale was a lug and wouldn't call him a mobile QB. More non mobile QBs have rings than mobile guys
                ​​​​​​

As for the QBs there isn't but 1maybe 2 that is worth a first round pick though 1 or 2 others may be. QBs are always a reach. Ain't happening for us.

It will be Haskins and Murray and crap shoots after that. And Murray imo is a crap shoot though more talented than Lock and the rest.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-06-2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

For most, I think it's who they end up playing with. Put a rookie QB on the Bolts and he will do better stastistically than on the Raiders. I know, obvious, but so hard to judge these guys coming out when they go to crap teams.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Geno and Cardale Jones both run better 40 times than Rivers. But Rivers is actually more mobile, because he is more instinctive and sees the field better. Mobility is about more than speed. If Geno Smith runs right into the guy that is trying to tackle him, then speed doesn't help him much.

As far as QB goes, the primary thing is to find a QB who can be an NFL passer. After you find one or more who can read defenses, and throw accurately, then you can start to worry about speed and mobility. It would be nice to add a player with some wheels. It adds to what we can do on offense. But there are so few guys who can do the passing, that you aren't going to eliminate everyone who can just throw. It shrinks the pool of potential candidates too much. You would like to get them, but you can't worry about it too much. Running QB cannot threaten enough of the field with their legs to emphasize that more than the throwing part. NFL coaches and QB know that, so they are not going to make the mistake of valuing running skills too much.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Geno and Cardale Jones both run better 40 times than Rivers. But Rivers is actually more mobile, because he is more instinctive and sees the field better. Mobility is about more than speed. If Geno Smith runs right into the guy that is trying to tackle him, then speed doesn't help him much.

As far as QB goes, the primary thing is to find a QB who can be an NFL passer. After you find one or more who can read defenses, and throw accurately, then you can start to worry about speed and mobility. It would be nice to add a player with some wheels. It adds to what we can do on offense. But there are so few guys who can do the passing, that you aren't going to eliminate everyone who can just throw. It shrinks the pool of potential candidates too much. You would like to get them, but you can't worry about it too much. Running QB cannot threaten enough of the field with their legs to emphasize that more than the throwing part. NFL coaches and QB know that, so they are not going to make the mistake of valuing running skills too much.
                      They do but they aren't what I'd call mobile QBs that run but they can. Most any QB runs better than Rivers asside from Peyton and Brady. Which goes to show you don't need to be a mobile QB.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Thank you!

the rock applause GIF
                        Last edited by Xenos; 04-06-2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

We actually have a GIPHY plug in. Simply type in clapping and it brings up all sorts of gifs.

Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 12.06.30 PM.png

Comment

Working...
                          X