• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I'm counting the final roster with Okung and James...55 names. There is no more room...and when Okung and James return(or IF) we lose 2 more.
    Gordon is on the DNP list though be is on the roster. Won't count til be shows up. Okung is not a part of the roster

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

I'm counting the final roster with Okung and James...55 names. There is no more room...and when Okung and James return(or IF) we lose 2 more.
      I'm not sure what you're counting. James is on their official LAC roster posted on their website. I didn't actually count all the names - give me a minute to check

It lists 53 players. James is on the list. Okung is not. They will move James off after the first game, and they can use that roster spot "(not required to but why not). When James comes back, someone has to drop off. When Okung comes back, someone else has to drop off. I would look at the S and OL groups to guess who but thats not a guarantee either, they could expand that group by 1 and drop something else.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
        Glibert Manzano -

Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt had finally seen the results he wanted from quarterback Cardale Jones, but there was still disappointment in his tone.
        "I would have liked to have seen that two years ago," Whisenthunt said on Aug. 21.
        That was a telling sign that Jones' drastic improvements had arrived too late. On Saturday, the Chargers pulled the plug on their quarterback project.
        Jones was one of many players who were released by the Chargers before the 1 p.m. deadline to trim the roster from 90 to 53 players.
        Jones thanked the Chargers on social media and quickly moved on by changing the profile picture he had of him wearing a Chargers uniform. It probably won't be long before he's sporting another uniform because of the standout summer he's had.
        "No setbacks, just setups," Jones tweeted. "Thanks Chargers for a great two years."
        This was the second time the Chargers have waived Jones. He was let go last year but brought back for the practice squad after going unclaimed on waivers.
        Jones received plenty of opportunities to prove it to the Chargers after they sent a seventh-round pick to the Buffalo Bills to get him in 2017. The 6-foot-5 Ohio State product with a strong arm received another opportunity this year, but not without competition.
        The Chargers drafted quarterback Easton Stick in the fifth-round of this year's draft and it appeared Jones' days were numbered with the team before his sudden surge.
        Jones started the preseason with a shaky outing before finishing with three impressive performances. He also showed signs of progress off the field in his maturity and work ethic, according to the coaching staff.
        "Not anything against Cardale, I'm extremely excited about the way that he's performed in our camp," Whisenhunt said this month when asked about Jones' progress. "Maybe it's just the process of growing up a little bit. He came out young. I think maybe it's being in the same system for a couple of years.
        "It has been different (this year) and that's a credit to him. He worked hard. You could see it early in the spring. It's nice to see him perform the way that he has on the field. He did a really nice job."
        In the end, the Chargers went with Stick's upside despite a few shaky preseason performances.

The Chargers rarely cut ties this soon with players they've drafted in the middle rounds, but with starter Philip Rivers and backup Tyrod Taylor atop the depth chart, Stick had to prove he belonged on the roster. He flashed enough that the Chargers didn't want to risk putting him on waivers with the possibility of stashing him on their practice squad.
        Receivers let go
        With the return of veteran Dontrelle Inman, it appeared there was one wide receiver spot available for Artavis Scott and Andre Patton to compete for. Neither wideout made the 53-man roster.
        Scott and Patton made receiving plays in the preseason, but the Chargers likely wanted to see more from them on special teams, which is why they kept wide receiver Geremy Davis, a vital contributor on special teams the past two years.
        Scott was the Chargers' receiving leader during the exhibition season and Patton showed big-play ability with two preseason touchdowns. The Chargers might be hoping to bring them back for the practice squad, but by the way they performed, it's likely that at least one will be claimed on waivers.
        The Chargers will move on with their four-man receiving group of Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Travis Benjamin and Inman, who was recruited by Rivers after he was granted his release from the New England Patriots this month. Inman played with the Chargers from 2014 to 2017.
        Pope, Peace make roster; Watkins left off
        It wasn't that long ago that Troymaine Pope was starting a new job building tanks because he had no NFL interest.
        Three years later, Pope earned the Chargers' interest in the preseason with his playmaking ability as a running back and punt returner. The Chargers chose Pope over running back Detrez Newsome for their 53-man roster.
        In a battle of defensive ends, the Chargers went with undrafted rookie Chris Peace instead of veteran Anthony Lanier.
        Jaylen Watkins was arguably the biggest surprise on cutdown day. The defensive back appeared as a safe choice to make the roster because he can play cornerback and safety. Perhaps the team is optimistic that they can bring him back after star safety Derwin James is placed on injured reserve. James is sidelined because of a right foot injury.
        Okung to miss six weeks
        Left tackle Russell Okung was kept on the non-football illness list, which will sideline him for at least the first six weeks of the regular season. Okung has been out since June because of a pulmonary embolism that was caused by blood clots.
        Trent Scott is the likely candidate to replace Okung for the start of the regular season.
        Gordon allowed to seek trade
        Days after Chargers general manager Tom Telesco expressed disappointment for not having a resolution with holdout running back Melvin Gordon, reports emerged Saturday that the team has allowed Gordon's agents to seek a trade.
        The star running back missed all of training camp and the preseason with hopes of landing his desired contract extension. Gordon's holdout will reach its 40th day on Sunday.
        Notable roster cuts
        Cardale Jones, QB
        Artavis Scott, WR
        Andre Patton, WR
        T.Y. McGill, DT
        Anthony Lanier, DE
        Detrez Newsome, RB
        Jaylen Watkins, DB
        Adarius Pickett (UCLA), DB
        Final roster
        Quarterbacks: Philip Rivers, Tyrod Taylor, Easton Stick
        Running backs: Melvin Gordon (Did not report list), Austin Ekeler, Justin Jackson, Troymaine Pope
        Fullback: Derek Watt
        Offensive line: Russell Okung (NFI), Trent Scott, Forrest Lamp, Mike Pouncey, Michael Schofield, Sam Tevi, Dan Feeney, Trey Pipkins, Scott Quessenberry
        Wide receivers: Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Travis Benjamin, Dontrelle Inman, Geremy Davis
        Tight ends: Hunter Henry, Virgil Green, Sean Culkin
        Defensive line: Joey Bosa, Justin Jones, Brandon Mebane, Melvin Ingram, Jerry Tillery, Isaac Rochell, Damion Square, Chris Peace, Cortez Broughton
        Linebackers: Uchenna Nwosu, Denzel Perryman, Thomas Davis, Kyzir White, Jatavis Brown, Drue Tranquill, Nick Dzubnar, Emeke Egbule
        Cornerbacks: Casey Hayward, Michael Davis, Desmond King, Trevor Williams, Brandon Facyson
        Safeties: Derwin James (IR), Rayshawn Jenkins, Adrian Phillips, Nasir Adderley, Roderic Teamer
        Kicker: Michael Badgley
        Punter: Ty Long
        Long Snapper: Cole Mazza

I'm counting the names on the list above. 55. Though I see now that as long as Gordon doesn't report, when James goes to IR, then we would have room to bring one guy back. 55 names minus James, Okung, Gordon equals 52...room for one more...until one of them return.
        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I'm not sure what you're counting. James is on their official LAC roster posted on their website. I didn't actually count all the names - give me a minute to check

It lists 53 players. James is on the list. Okung is not. They will move James off after the first game, and they can use that roster spot "(not required to but why not). When James comes back, someone has to drop off. When Okung comes back, someone else has to drop off. I would look at the S and OL groups to guess who but thats not a guarantee either, they could expand that group by 1 and drop something else.
          Non-Football Injury (NFI)
          The non-football injury (NFI) list is reserved for players who suffer an injury outside of the NFL. That could mean they're in a car accident, suffer an injury at home or suffer an injury during college that carries over to the NFL. For example, when Cedric Ogbuehientered the NFL with a torn ACL, the Bengals started him on the NFI list in his rookie year. The NFI list prevents players from practicing or playing. The rules for the NFI list are the same as for the PUP list. If cleared from the NFI list, they can't go back on the list -- this is true of the PUP list, too.

Injured Reserve (IR)
          NFL teams are permitted to place any number of players on Injured Reserve at the start of the season. Any player on the IR list counts against the salary cap, but not against the 53-man roster limit. These players are ineligible to play again for the same team during the current season, but they can be cut and then go on to sign with another team. These players may not practice with their team at any time, but can attend team meetings and be around the team. Last year for the first time the NFL changed the IR rules to allow for two NFL players from each team to be eligible to come off IR after eight weeks of being on the list...

IR-Return Designation
          Not everyone who ends up on IR has to see their season end for good. Players must remain on IR for eight weeks before being eligible to rejoin their teams in Week 9 via the IR-Return Designation. The NFL changed the IR-return designation in 2017 so that teams are allowed to bring two players back from IR. Previously, the rule allowed just one player to return from the list.

This was a great change for teams as most clubs have more than one injured player capable of returning at some point in the season.

In 2016, the Bengals had an unfortunate situation in which running back Cedric Peerman and cornerback William Jackson III were both healthy enough to come off of IR, but Peerman ended up getting the one to get the only nod. Had this new IR-return rule been in place, both players would have been able to come off IR.

Last year, the NFL changed the IR with return designation so that you no longer have to designate the player who will get the designation at the time they are placed on the list. Now, teams can bring back any two players they've placed on IR at any time after the eight week mandate to be on the list has been met.

Previously, if a team wanted to use the one return designation spot, they had to declare it when the player was placed on IR. Now, they can just see who is getting healthy quickly, and take them off IR after they've been on the list for eight weeks (or more).

One constraint here is that a player must be on the 53-man roster in Week 1 to be eligible for the IR designation to return. That means, anyone who was placed on IR before roster cuts were made to trim the roster down to 53 players is not eligible.

For example, the Bengals used a roster spot on quarterback Jeff Driskel in 2017, but he was moved on IR two days later, making him eligible for the return designation. The Bengals did bring him back later on in the season once he was healthy.
          Last edited by like54ninjas; 08-31-2019, 05:48 PM.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Yea, Im tracking now...we were looking at 2 different lists, but I was forgetting Gordon isn't here.

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Send PM

Yea, Im tracking now...we were looking at 2 different lists, but I was forgetting Gordon isn't here.
              Good stuff, Ninja...clears up why they haven't placed James on IR yet...gotta wait for week 1 so James would be eligible to return this season.

Edit: Weird...didn't mean to quote myself...

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

My question is how is he going to be active to play STs?
                Who do you sit for Dzub the scrub?
                Ok, looking at the roster I see your point.
                Would have to be J.Brown or Tranquill, even with Egbule inactive.

So maybe Dzubs is just an emergency piece until he gets released... or J.Brown does?

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                  Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Palm Springs
                  • I know nothing
                  • Send PM

I don't think they have to wait until the actual game. I think they can IR James tomorrow.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Send PM

I forget...how many are active game day?

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Thats all i said.
                      Yup

I like that for the most part the bubble guys we kept were younger players with potentially higher ceilings. Our practice squad will be killer.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Good stuff, Ninja...clears up why they haven't placed James on IR yet...gotta wait for week 1 so James would be eligible to return this season.

Edit: Weird...didn't mean to quote myself...
                        Well probably cut down on arguments that way, lol.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

I forget...how many are active game day?
                          45 +QB3 is 46

Comment

Working...
                          X