• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    I know this is way to early, but I just don't see a UDFA making the initial 53 this year. And its a longevity string I hate to see broken. There is just too much returning talent plus all 7 draft picks look to make the team too.
    Punter out of ND has a shot.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

For anyone that has done any study on Dylan, it would be hard to miss his blocking prowess, on video or in write ups. That and his willingness to fight for the ball are his strengths. I'm excited to see what he brings and if he can earn a role in this loaded offense.
      I definitely think it was one of the reasons why we used a pick on him. He might have been a priority guy they didnt want to risk losing in UDFA. Another WR that made a huge impact for his team in the run game was Hines Ward.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

I believe they brought Cantrell back onto the active roster late last year specifically to protect him from being nabbed. I look forward to seeing him in TC and exhibition games.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          I believe they brought Cantrell back onto the active roster late last year specifically to protect him from being nabbed. I look forward to seeing him in TC and exhibition games.
          They waived Cantrell 3 or 4 times last year. That's not "protecting him". In fact just putting him on the PT made him available to be poached. They were obviously higher on Davis and he didn't really show a lot last year. I suspect that Scott will be the guy that turns out to be our #4 this year.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
            They waived Cantrell 3 or 4 times last year. That's not "protecting him". In fact just putting him on the PT made him available to be poached. They were obviously higher on Davis and he didn't really show a lot last year. I suspect that Scott will be the guy that turns out to be our #4 this year.
            I am a fan of Artavis Scott.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I am a fan of Artavis Scott.
              The all time leading receiver at Clemson? He may have something for us. Consistency if nothing else. With his modest size & speed I suspect he is precise on routes & timing and has good hands. I'm looking forward to seeing his game on the field.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

I dont think this is true. He spent the first 13 weeks on the PS and never got a call up that i know of. You cant waive somebody that never got called up.

Some info here
                https://www.rotoworld.com/football/n...dylan-cantrell

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn mentioned 2018 6th-round WR Dylan Cantrell as a player who needs to step up with Tyrell Williams gone.

Cantrell spent most of his rookie season on the practice squad, but the Chargers protected him by promoting him to the active roster in December. With 4.59 wheels, Cantrell is not a like-for-like replacement for Williams, but he flashed traits of a solid possession option at Texas Tech. It would not be a surprise if he worked his way into three-wide sets.

Source: Eric Williams on Twitter
                Apr 9, 2019, 10:41 AM ET

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  I dont think this is true. He spent the first 13 weeks on the PS and never got a call up that i know of. You cant waive somebody that never got called up.

Some info here
                  https://www.rotoworld.com/football/n...dylan-cantrell

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn mentioned 2018 6th-round WR Dylan Cantrell as a player who needs to step up with Tyrell Williams gone.

Cantrell spent most of his rookie season on the practice squad, but the Chargers protected him by promoting him to the active roster in December. With 4.59 wheels, Cantrell is not a like-for-like replacement for Williams, but he flashed traits of a solid possession option at Texas Tech. It would not be a surprise if he worked his way into three-wide sets.

Source: Eric Williams on Twitter
                  Apr 9, 2019, 10:41 AM ET
                  Transactions

• Transactions

December 3, 2018: Los Angeles Chargers activated WR Dylan Cantrell from the practice squad.
                  September 2, 2018: Los Angeles Chargers added WR Dylan Cantrell to the practice squad.
                  September 2, 2018: Los Angeles Chargers cut WR Dylan Cantrell.
                  September 1, 2018: Los Angeles Chargers waived WR Dylan Cantrell.
                  May 11, 2018: Los Angeles Chargers signed WR Dylan Cantrell.

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

We
                    Transactions
                    • Transactions

December 3, 2018: Los Angeles Chargers activated WR Dylan Cantrell from the practice squad.
                    September 2, 2018: Los Angeles Chargers added WR Dylan Cantrell to the practice squad.
                    September 2, 2018: Los Angeles Chargers cut WR Dylan Cantrell.
                    September 1, 2018: Los Angeles Chargers waived WR Dylan Cantrell.
                    May 11, 2018: Los Angeles Chargers signed WR Dylan Cantrell.
                    So cut the twice in a span of two days before the season. That's different than waived 3-4 times during the season.

I assume was never active when added to the roster.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-08-2019, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Wasn't Cantrell on some kind of injured list with a bone bruise in his knee for most of the season?
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

At the cutdown to 53, players that don't make it are either waived, or released (if they are have enough playing time), then signed back to a practice squad if they have eligibility. What protected Cantrell was that he was 'hurt' early in training camp, and had no playing tape on him in the preseason, and no other team was willing to sign him to their active squad with no indication of his pro playing ability. I don't think he was ever placed on IR. He's a question mark to all but the Chargers. I don't recall who was cut to bring him to the PS, but my guess is they brought him up as teams not making the playoffs could make space by getting rid of their dead weight.

Comment

• alex8080
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

play in the slot formation to block down on screens

Comment

Working...
                          X