• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    I just think he will be used more than just a backup MLB which I'm not sure even fits him best.
    agree, and agree again in that will not be surprised to see him usurp AP in the rotation come 2020 ?? and.... dude is not so much in the way of run D (sorry).

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Interesting. Did not expect him to practice at Mike since he was the starter at Will last year. But versatility is key due to injury concerns with Perryman.
      Gus is maybe thinking every able LB needs to learn every position after last year's carnage.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Regardless of where a player like White lines up, good things were happening last season when he was on the field for us. Very geeked to see him play this season.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

I have high hopes for him.
          He will be great. I listen to almost every podcast the chargers put out. The day after we drafted White Chris Hayre interviewed a few of the players coaches. Its a good listen. Because our discussion here in regards to the way we would use White and Cantrell were covered by the coaches. And confirmed. You hear Kingsbury say Cantrell can be a movement piece. H back. Maybe even a Joker type TE. Slot. Insane blocker with crazy speed and strength. And Holgerson mentions that White can beef up to 240# and not lose much athleticism. But that he can be a mauling LB who can cover. Its a good listen.

​​​​​​https://www.chargers.com/audio/dana-...icki-jh-165856

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

He will be great. I listen to almost every podcast the chargers put out. The day after we drafted White Chris Hayre interviewed a few of the players coaches. Its a good listen. Because our discussion here in regards to the way we would use White and Cantrell were covered by the coaches. And confirmed. You hear Kingsbury say Cantrell can be a movement piece. H back. Maybe even a Joker type TE. Slot. Insane blocker with crazy speed and strength. And Holgerson mentions that White can beef up to 240# and not lose much athleticism. But that he can be a mauling LB who can cover. Its a good listen.

thanx for the recap.... for those of us who rarely make time to listen to (extended) podcasts,
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              Regardless of where a player like White lines up, good things were happening last season when he was on the field for us. Very geeked to see him play this season.
              I remember quite a few times last year i got upset at some of the tackles he was making. I love hard hits. But im a rugby guy. So proper tackling technique will go a long ways in keeping a player healthy. And like i always say a players best ability is his availability. White and Perryman need to maybe think about tackling smarter not harder. I think Adderly is a guy who might struggle with this.

I was a football player. And my son a rugby guy at an all american level. But he played football first. And never shed that tackling form. He is a solid winger at 6'2 220# but went up against a Baylor centre who had 25 pounds on him. Made a tackle on the guy....kept his head in front and was knocked out. Last game he ever played. All because he wasnt willing to tackle smarter and not harder.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

I think the idea is that Denzel comes off the field on 3rd downs. Before Davis was added i floated the idea of White playing weak on early downs and in sub packages sliding inside. Which gets a better coverage lb in the middle. And keeps Denzels snaps down. He was on pace for a massive amount of snaps before he got hurt last year. And i dont think he can tolerate it.

One thing is for sure...most players on this D can play another position. Extreme versatility. Big fan of that.
                Kyzir is going to be a big part of the D.
                Starter at Will / Mike in .05.
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Since Cantrell is such a great blocker, how about if we use him at FB at times? Cut Watt, which frees up an extra roster spot...but Steve almost has me convinced to keep Watt...

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

ahead of Davis, and.... you're taking Denzel off the field ??

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Cant wait. We have a lot of interchangeable pieces.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Since Cantrell is such a great blocker, how about if we use him at FB at times? Cut Watt, which frees up an extra roster spot...but Steve almost has me convinced to keep Watt...
                        An H-Back can do some of that stuff. Off the top of my head i think the H back was created to block guys like Lawrence Taylor. He forced teams to have to use a TE to block him. Not a RB or FB a TE. I dont think Cantrell in that way would be a huge success. But we dont have to face an LT type. But he could be groomed to take over Watts spot and have sone success in the passing game for us. As a smaller H back type with an emphasis in the passing game. He has amazing hands. Good football IQ. Excited to see what his roll will be.

We showed interest in Pierre Garcon. And many were not pleased because they were viewing him just as a receiver. But Garcon is a really good downfeild and blocker. And even at the LOS on run plays. He moves guys around very well. I think Cantrell will be able to do that for us if he makes the team. He might even be a mismatch on some defenders. Hes built like a smaller TE.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Why is Cantrell deemed a great blocker? He blocked B and C-level College CBs and was decent at it as a WR out blocking isolated outside Corners off a play. That doesn't mean he can block A-grade DEs and OLBs from an H-back spot. I'm gonna need to see that before I start cutting other players. Maybe a year gives him the experience to step up, that would be cool as he's a big body. I just haven't seen him able to get open vs NFL DBs yet.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X