• Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    Or even Brown and White really.
    I can somewhat see that since Brown replaced White at the WLB position last year. We seem to have actually lot of people who can play WLB this year with Davis, White, and Brown. Tranquill also has the ability though I believe he is the backup at MLB.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I can somewhat see that since Brown replaced White at the WLB position last year. We seem to have actually lot of people who can play WLB this year with Davis, White, and Brown. Tranquill also has the ability though I believe he is the backup at MLB.
      Can't help but think Tranquill will eventually,...possibly (2020) replace Phillips spot in the defense since he is actually faster but I'm speculating.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-29-2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I thought both White and Brown were on the field at the same time last season?

Maybe it was a matchup thing, which is good.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          I thought both White and Brown were on the field at the same time last season?

Maybe it was a matchup thing, which is good.
          No. Brown only showed up when White was injured.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Not sure what the first part means. Davis is not playing the same position as Perryman. Same thing with Tranquill and Egbule.
            my take from the article was that the author was ranking the first player listed ahead of the second one, and.... not sure I agree w/all of 'em ??
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

my take from the article was that the author was ranking the first player listed ahead of the second one, and.... not sure I agree w/all of 'em ??
              I don't know if that's what he was necessarily doing or if he was just confusing. If you read the rest of the article on LB:
              . Davis, Perryman, and Brown are likely the starters from day one with White and Tranquil in the rotation from the get-go, as well.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

At this point, they will have a designated 1st and 2nd team. I don't think it means much. Clearly, the point of the draft and FA was to bring in new bodies and have more competition. I think we will see that. Maybe all the starters will hold their jobs, maybe not. But if Davis (Will), Perryman (Mike), and Nwosu (OTTO) get too comfortable, they will find themselves on the bench.

I also think that the team will look for the best combination of starters and nickel/dime players. Last year, Brown and Perryman split some time inside at MIke, even in the dime. Brown and White probably did get some time in the nickel together. However, it will all be situational.

The unspoken players who will also push the LB are King and Phillips. Both have played and made a lot of plays vs the run and pass in the nickel and dime. If the LB are not playing well, there is no reason for the Chargers to leave LB on the field. Offenses are built around having 3 or 4 WR on the field most of the time, so unless we want LB chasing WR, the DB will get most of the playing time. And since they are on the feild when the other team throws the ball, they are the players in position to blitz or get turnovers, which are the impact plays that change the game.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

They used to say the same about Donnie Edwards and he had more speed. I always wonder where the heck is the rest of the team? More specifically, the free safety? If the LB doesn't get the PD, Int or an immediate tackle is the rest of the D just an audience?
                    Glad to see Adderley. (applause!) The healthy return of Perryman, Brown, White, addition of Davis & Tranquill. We at least have some decent 1's & 2's at Mike & Will. OTTO Nwosu, Egbule TBD.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

They used to say the same about Donnie Edwards and he had more speed. I always wonder where the heck is the rest of the team? More specifically, the free safety? If the LB doesn't get the PD, Int or an immediate tackle is the rest of the D just an audience?
                      Glad to see Adderley. (applause!) The healthy return of Perryman, Brown, White, addition of Davis & Tranquill. We at least have some decent 1's & 2's at Mike & Will. OTTO Nwosu, Egbule TBD.
                      You mean Downfield Donnie? I loved that nickname.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

You mean Downfield Donnie? I loved that nickname.
                        I liked Donnie a lot. He was one of our best ever pass defending LBs.
                        On this year's D I hope to see players not immediately involved swarming on the ball. Playing LB without a safety net sucks.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Melvin Gordon, Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson.

This is a quality trio. So how do you split their snaps? 30, 20 and 10? Wait for somebody to get hurt before bringing in Jackson?

This is a strength of the club. These are low risk, high reward yard gainers. I'm getting the ball in their hands early and often.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X