Underrated Players - Desmond King (and Tyrell Williams)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Keeping Twill would have meant shelling out big bucks for a player in a position where we are still deep, even losing him. Benji still has a year left on his deal. I'm guessing after this season is over, they let Benji walk and promote who's tops among Cantrell, Davis and Scott. Need to save $$$ to re-sign Bosa and others...
    Consider this when you say we are deep at WR. Scott and Cantrell both missed the season with injuries. Davis only caught a few passes all year. Is that the kind of depth that makes you warm and fuzzy?
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• SYB
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Consider this when you say we are deep at WR. Scott and Cantrell both missed the season with injuries. Davis only caught a few passes all year. Is that the kind of depth that makes you warm and fuzzy?
      Does paying Keenan Allen money to your 4th option, while also losing your cap space for our future FA's make you feel warm and fuzzy?

Funny that TW's fan club don't like to address his new salary. Just that we may need him at some point, so he should have been signed, regardless if he could be afforded.
      Last edited by SYB; 06-06-2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

I get we couldn't Afford to keep Tyrell but he wasn't going to be our 4th WR. I think they want MW to be the #2 and Tyrell would be in there at 3 or fill in if an injury so yeah you don't pay that guy 11 mil a year.
        Pretty sure they knew Cantrell would be PS bound so they IR'd him to avoid a poach. He wasn't badly injured.

Comment

• SYB
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
          I get we couldn't Afford to keep Tyrell but he wasn't going to be our 4th WR. I think they want MW to be the #2 and Tyrell would be in there at 3 or fill in if an injury so yeah you don't pay that guy 11 mil a year.
          Pretty sure they knew Cantrell would be PS bound so they IR'd him to avoid a poach. He wasn't badly injured.
          Just to make things clear, I never said TW was WR #4, just the 4th option. KA, MW, HH and then TW.

And yeah, I thought that IR'ing Cantrell seemed like a bit of maneuvering to shield him from waiver claims.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

IMHO nobody has shown anything solid at WR past the first three. Wide open competition, best players in TC and preseason stick. Makes us better.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

We have KA, Mike Will and Benji PLUS Cantrell, Scott and Davis. Cantrell is still unproven at the pro level, but both Scott and Davis have had outstanding preseasons. I would say we're pretty deep at wideout...

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

We have KA, Mike Will and Benji PLUS Cantrell, Scott and Davis. Cantrell is still unproven at the pro level, but both Scott and Davis have had outstanding preseasons. I would say we're pretty deep at wideout...
                ^^^THIS^^^ Agreed........

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Hmm well don't know if I would say deep either. I'm not a big fan of Davis but I like Scott and hope Cantrell will be what Kingsbury sees.
                  Benjamin is meh and nothing more.

I'd say our WRs when healthy is very good along with Henry added in the mix. If two go down I'm kinda skeptical but i like the potential, just haven't see much of it yet.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Hmm well don't know if I would say deep either. I'm not a big fan of Davis but I like Scott and hope Cantrell will be what Kingsbury sees.
                    Benjamin is meh and nothing more.

I'd say our WRs when healthy is very good along with Henry added in the mix. If two go down I'm kinda skeptical but i like the potential, just haven't see much of it yet.
                    One more factor in the equation is that Rivers is so talented and accurate, he makes even an average wideout look good. Rivers made journeymen like Inman and Tutu look pretty decent.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

One more factor in the equation is that Rivers is so talented and accurate, he makes even an average wideout look good. Rivers made journeymen like Inman and Tutu look pretty decent.
                      And vice versa. A good WR makes Rivers look great

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

Does paying Keenan Allen money to your 4th option, while also losing your cap space for our future FA's make you feel warm and fuzzy?

Funny that TW's fan club don't like to address his new salary. Just that we may need him at some point, so he should have been signed, regardless if he could be afforded.
                        I didn't mean to say they should have kept TWill in spite of salary cost. I never advocated paying him as a #1. I didn't know how much money they are paying Benjamin and I assumed it was plenty because they signed him as a free agent. So, I thought let Benjamin go and pay that amount to TW. I don't expect any of the young WR's to put up the kind of numbers TWill did. The saving factor is getting HH back.

As for all of you saying Rivers can turn any of them into a good WR. I'll point out neither Inman or Tutu ever but up the numbers Twill did. The thing is - the WR needs to be able to get open, then Rivers will put it on him, but the question is -who can do it? Can any of them take the top of the defense off with their speed.?
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• SYB
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

I didn't mean to say they should have kept TWill in spite of salary cost. I never advocated paying him as a #1. I didn't know how much money they are paying Benjamin and I assumed it was plenty because they signed him as a free agent. So, I thought let Benjamin go and pay that amount to TW. I don't expect any of the young WR's to put up the kind of numbers TWill did. The saving factor is getting HH back.

As for all of you saying Rivers can turn any of them into a good WR. I'll point out neither Inman or Tutu ever but up the numbers Twill did. The thing is - the WR needs to be able to get open, then Rivers will put it on him, but the question is -who can do it? Can any of them take the top of the defense off with their speed.?
                          Letting Benji walk and keeping TWill woulda been wonderful, except that Benji makes just over a quarter of what TWill will make annually.

And yes, Benji is the guy to take the top off of the D. It's basically his only redeeming quality.

Comment

Working...
                          X