• Show
Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

I got to see a few Az St games with my kid in Phoenix over the last 3 years. Grice has really good hands, and could've been a slot WR. Maybe should have.
    Darby is an UDFA steal. This kid will make our football team.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

3-4 Under Front

The 3-4 Under was a common front run by the Texans and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips during the 2013 season in Houston.

Another “1-gap” scheme that gives you protection to the closed side (four defenders) with the open-side Will ‘backer and defensive end in a position to clean up as cutback players.

9268b2e7dd84da22b7f299987f6ba68d_original.png
      Matt Bowen/Bleacher Report

To the closed side, the defense is protected with the nose tackle (N) in a 0-shade (or 1-technique) on the outside shoulder of the center (same as a 4-3 Under front), the defensive end (E) in a 5/6-technique and the Sam (S) is aligned outside of the tight end (Y) in a 7-technique.

And with the Mike (M) filling to the B-gap, the defense has every gap accounted for to the closed side of the formation.

To the open side, the Will (W) plays the cutback/boot from the 6-technique with the defensive end (E) aligned in either a 2- or 3-technique. The defense can align the end in a 3-technique (B-gap) with the Jack filling to the A-gap. Or, the defense can bump the end down to a 2-technique. This allows the end to “2-gap” the guard with the Jack (J) on a fill/scrape.

Let’s take a look at the 3-4 Under from the Texans versus the Raiders' Pro I formation out of Regular/21 personnel (2WR-1TE-2RB).

252a76f72c938eed61a8fa2582689207_original.png
      Credit: NFL Game Rewind

The first thing you should notice in this 3-4 front is the alignment of the nose tackle. Instead of being aligned head-up over the center (Okie front), the nose is now in a shade (or tilted) to the closed side of the formation with the defensive end (J.J. Watt) in a 5-technique and the Sam in a 7-technique.

The open-side defensive end is on the outside shoulder of the guard (3-technique) in the B-gap with the Will playing cutback/boot on the edge and the Jack filling inside to the A-gap.

However, as I said above, you can bump that open-side end down to a head-up position on the guard (2-technique) and allow him to “2-gap.” That gives the end a “two-way-go” with the Jack linebacker filling from the second level.
      Last edited by Formula 21; 06-23-2014, 01:26 PM.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
        3-4 Under Front

The 3-4 Under was a common front run by the Texans and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips during the 2013 season in Houston.

Another “1-gap” scheme that gives you protection to the closed side (four defenders) with the open-side Will ‘backer and defensive end in a position to clean up as cutback players.

[ATTACH]346[/ATTACH]
        Matt Bowen/Bleacher Report

To the closed side, the defense is protected with the nose tackle (N) in a 0-shade (or 1-technique) on the outside shoulder of the center (same as a 4-3 Under front), the defensive end (E) in a 5/6-technique and the Sam (S) is aligned outside of the tight end (Y) in a 7-technique.

And with the Mike (M) filling to the B-gap, the defense has every gap accounted for to the closed side of the formation.

To the open side, the Will (W) plays the cutback/boot from the 6-technique with the defensive end (E) aligned in either a 2- or 3-technique. The defense can align the end in a 3-technique (B-gap) with the Jack filling to the A-gap. Or, the defense can bump the end down to a 2-technique. This allows the end to “2-gap” the guard with the Jack (J) on a fill/scrape.

Let’s take a look at the 3-4 Under from the Texans versus the Raiders' Pro I formation out of Regular/21 personnel (2WR-1TE-2RB).

[ATTACH]347[/ATTACH]
        Credit: NFL Game Rewind

The first thing you should notice in this 3-4 front is the alignment of the nose tackle. Instead of being aligned head-up over the center (Okie front), the nose is now in a shade (or tilted) to the closed side of the formation with the defensive end (J.J. Watt) in a 5-technique and the Sam in a 7-technique.

The open-side defensive end is on the outside shoulder of the guard (3-technique) in the B-gap with the Will playing cutback/boot on the edge and the Jack filling inside to the A-gap.

However, as I said above, you can bump that open-side end down to a head-up position on the guard (2-technique) and allow him to “2-gap.” That gives the end a “two-way-go” with the Jack linebacker filling from the second level.
        WTF?

"To the closed side, the defense is protected with the nose tackle (N) in a 0-shade (or 1-technique) on the outside shoulder of the center (same as a 4-3 Under front), the defensive end (E) in a 5/6-technique and the Sam (S) is aligned outside of the tight end (Y) in a 7-technique."

LOL! That's just a bunch of gobbly-goop.

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
          And/or Woodhead.
          what makes you guys think Woodhead or Mathews wouldn't want to re-sign in San Diego? Especially if we go deep into playoffs. Remember we'll have a lot more free $ to work with next year and this regime has shown they pay guys what they are worth instead of the low balling and take-it-or-leave-it approach. RBs don't cost what they used to either. Our offense is custom made for Woodhead and if he has another good year I doubt they let him just walk without negotiating, and Rivers will be in their ears reminding TT & MM what happened to our offense after we failed to replace Sproles. If Mathews has a good year he'll get a big new contract, but if he overprices himself here we have Donald Brown ready to step in AND another draft to find someone for the rotation.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
            uh, no. Tutu has several years NFL experience, including production on offense the other guys don't have- and he's cheap. Him and Stuckey are the backbone of our ST squad. Not that I believe everything written by the puppets at SDUT- but there was an article the other day summarizing events from Mini-camp & OTAs that said Tutu is a LOCK for the 53 man as the 5th WR based on what he's shown so far. I expect Grice to be an early cut- those guys are dime a dozen- remember all the hoopla about Fozzy this time last year? He had the Wiz connection and we had less talent at RB then, but he got cut as the offense settled in, then got signed elsewhere and is currently out on the street. The team seems VERY high on Inman's chances too. Injury to our WRs will sort out the numbers game at the bottom of roster.
            Sorry, Tutu has been let go a couple times from here. He is nothing more than Osgood was and isnt as good a ST's player so if Grice or Inmann can play his STs role and Imann or Resse show more potentual as a WR, ...then he is toast. Grice was a gunner at AZ.
            There is not benefit to keeping him if others can do what he can and do it better other than he has been here before. First time in Norvs system which we dont run any longer so he has one year in this system.

That said, i like Tutu's potentual. Im just saying he is expendible if the other guys show better. To call Tutu a lock imo is just wrong.

Who had hoopla for Fozzy? That guy was nothing special either and he isnt even as good as Grice.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

what makes you guys think Woodhead or Mathews wouldn't want to re-sign in San Diego? Especially if we go deep into playoffs. Remember we'll have a lot more free $ to work with next year and this regime has shown they pay guys what they are worth instead of the low balling and take-it-or-leave-it approach. RBs don't cost what they used to either. Our offense is custom made for Woodhead and if he has another good year I doubt they let him just walk without negotiating, and Rivers will be in their ears reminding TT & MM what happened to our offense after we failed to replace Sproles. If Mathews has a good year he'll get a big new contract, but if he overprices himself here we have Donald Brown ready to step in AND another draft to find someone for the rotation.
              You know as well as anyone that players go with the team that shells out the biggest bucks. Sure, they MAY take a LITTLE less money playing for one team if they feel that might give them a better chance of winning a Super Bowl. But really...how often does that happen? And yeah, we'll have a lot more 'free' money available, but who says we'd be using that on Mathews and/or Woodhead to meet what they might be demanding next year?

I agree with you about Woodhead; one of the best FA signings this team has even made, IMO. In fact, I think they should be trying to extend him NOW.

However, I think there's a good chance (assuming they avoid injury and produce number similar to what they did last year) that at least one of them could/will be gone because we're unwilling to dump so much cash into one position.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                Go Aztecs and Pads
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                The addition of a
                true NT body type in Careathers will make the oline think hard about who to double team.
                Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                Sorry, Tutu has been let go a couple times from here. He is nothing more than Osgood was and isnt as good a ST's player so if Grice or Inmann can play his STs role and Imann or Resse show more potentual as a WR, ...then he is toast. Grice was a gunner at AZ.
                There is not benefit to keeping him if others can do what he can and do it better other than he has been here before. First time in Norvs system which we dont run any longer so he has one year in this system.

That said, i like Tutu's potentual. Im just saying he is expendible if the other guys show better. To call Tutu a lock imo is just wrong.

Who had hoopla for Fozzy? That guy was nothing special either and he isnt even as good as Grice.
                If Tutu is nothing more than Osgood, let's keep him.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                  If Tutu is nothing more than Osgood, let's keep him.
                  Nothing more and not as good a ST player but if Tutu beats them out then great. I'm just saying he can be expendible and certainly shouldn't be a lock.
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-23-2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

I think there's a greater chance we resign Woodhead than Matthews. To begin with, next years crop of RBs are pretty awesome. Second, Mathews is already fairly old. Lastly his injury history. Just don't think it's prudent to give him more than a 2 year deal and he will be looking for 4 years I suspect. It's just not smart to spend big on RBs anymore. Gone are the 10 mil per year for RBs. If he comes back for a contract similar to Browns, sure. I doubt he will though.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I also wouldn't judge TT/MM's player decisions based on what AJ/Norv did.

I don't put anybody ahead of anybody right now for these backup spots, although I like Grice's hands and one-cut move, and Reese's speed and open field running. If they can get the playbook down in one off-season, they have higher ceilings than some of the guys ahead of them IMHO.

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Opera singer and web developer.
                        • Send PM

I'm with SDfan on this one. I'm not blown away by Grice. Guys like him are always available. And I think it likely Mathews and Woodhead will both want to re-sign in San Diego.
                        Adipose

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                          I'm with SDfan on this one. I'm not blown away by Grice. Guys like him are always available. And I think it likely Mathews and Woodhead will both want to re-sign in San Diego.
                          Im not blown away by Grice either and didnt really like the pick but ill ive saying is Tutu is replacable because Grice can do what he does on STs if there is a WR they like as a WR better. There are many possibilitys. Tutu isnt some rock solid player we need to keep is my point. I like Tutu but keep the best players.

Comment

Working...
                          X