• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

I think we end up with only 3 TEs this year. Philips likely starts the year on the PUP list (at least that's what they should do). Byrnes still has PS eligibility and you can stash him there in case of injury. We keep 6 WRs. Johnson really fills two roles as a FB/TE.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
      I think you can add Inman to that list in front of Reese too, since all the pub so far is the club has really high hopes for him and trying to make him a return guy- so 6 guys. Tutu isn't going anywhere and could actually count against the 53 man as a ST guy like Osgood used to- so back to 5 guys in front. I think past history shows its really unlikely ALL the 6 WRs will make it all the way to final roster cuts healthy, so if 1 goes on a PUP list or something Reese's chances improve for this year, but I'd like him to spend a year on the PS learning and bulking up some.
      I think Grice could easily replace Tutu on STs if Inmann and Resse look better than him. Grice was a gunner in college.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Yep. Grice, Tutu, Inman, Reese, all these back end guys need to show they can fill multiple roles, and a guy like Tutu who's been here is gonna have to show he's more than a STer - how well does he know, and can execute, the playbook as well as cover kicks. Injuries happen, gotta produce in the O.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

This is good news. Not that Liuget has dropped weight but that we plan on going with a more Texans style 1 gap 34. Something ive mentioned quite a bit in regards to Lissemore. I really think it will open up our front three to make more plays. I really like Lissemore in a 1 gap and i think Reyes and Liuget combined can put up bigger numbers if they both break out. I think they can both be 8-10 sack DEs in a 1 gap. Of course our LBs will have more of a load to take on.

Chargers RE Corey Liuget plans to play at 290 pounds this season.
          He's dropped over ten pounds from last year, when Liuget turned in a disappointing campaign, dipping from 7.0 sacks to 5.5, and nine pass breakups to two. Still only 24 years old, Liuget could have a breakout season if DC John Pagano makes good on his promise to utilize more one-gap concepts in 2014.

Comment

• thelightningwill
            Go Aztecs and Pads
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

I vote we keep Tutu this time.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The addition of a true NT body type in Careathers will make the oline think hard about who to double team.
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                The addition of a true NT body type in Careathers will make the oline think hard about who to double team.
                I think he has the athleticism to flourish in a 1 gap as well as a 2 gap. 1 gap would probably be easier for him. Hes pretty damn athletic for a guy his size.

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  This is good news. Not that Liuget has dropped weight but that we plan on going with a more Texans style 1 gap 34. Something ive mentioned quite a bit in regards to Lissemore. I really think it will open up our front three to make more plays. I really like Lissemore in a 1 gap and i think Reyes and Liuget combined can put up bigger numbers if they both break out. I think they can both be 8-10 sack DEs in a 1 gap. Of course our LBs will have more of a load to take on.

Chargers RE Corey Liuget plans to play at 290 pounds this season.
                  He's dropped over ten pounds from last year, when Liuget turned in a disappointing campaign, dipping from 7.0 sacks to 5.5, and nine pass breakups to two. Still only 24 years old, Liuget could have a breakout season if DC John Pagano makes good on his promise to utilize more one-gap concepts in 2014.
                  I thought he was too heavy last year as well. I've always preferred a 1 gap scheme and considering our penetrating DE's, it makes sense to just let them hunt. It's not like they were doing great defending the run anyways. Let them just attack and go upfield.

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                    Yep. Grice, Tutu, Inman, Reese, all these back end guys need to show they can fill multiple roles, and a guy like Tutu who's been here is gonna have to show he's more than a STer - how well does he know, and can execute, the playbook as well as cover kicks. Injuries happen, gotta produce in the O.

uh, no. Tutu has several years NFL experience, including production on offense the other guys don't have- and he's cheap. Him and Stuckey are the backbone of our ST squad. Not that I believe everything written by the puppets at SDUT- but there was an article the other day summarizing events from Mini-camp & OTAs that said Tutu is a LOCK for the 53 man as the 5th WR based on what he's shown so far. I expect Grice to be an early cut- those guys are dime a dozen- remember all the hoopla about Fozzy this time last year? He had the Wiz connection and we had less talent at RB then, but he got cut as the offense settled in, then got signed elsewhere and is currently out on the street. The team seems VERY high on Inman's chances too. Injury to our WRs will sort out the numbers game at the bottom of roster.
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Disagre on Grice, he is a post Mathews prospect who provides us leverage against RM getting to free agency.
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                        Disagre on Grice, he is a post Mathews prospect who provides us leverage against RM getting to free agency.
                        And/or Woodhead.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Football 101: Bridging the Gap Between 3-4 and 4-3 Fronts
                          By Alen Dumonjic , Contributor
                          Mar 16, 2012

Gaps and techniques are two different things along the defensive line, but they both help make up a strong and powerful front. Gaps are the areas in between the offensive linemen and outside of them in which a defensive lineman is responsible for, while techniques are the alignments in which the defender lines up at.

With defenses playing a significant amount of 1-gap concepts, defenses are using more shaded techniques opposed to head-up techniques that are typically associated with 2-gap concepts. A 1-gap concept gives a defensive lineman a single gap to be responsible for, which allows him to be more aggressive downhill, and one of the techniques that is nowadays common in 3-4 and 4-3 1-gap schemes is the 3 technique.

A 3 technique defensive lineman has become one of the most interesting positions in 3-4 and 4-3 schemes. The defensive lineman in the 3 technique alignment requires him to line up across the outside shoulder of the offensive guard, and what this alignment has done is bridge the gap between 3-4 and 4-3 1-gap schemes.

08idp_figure_0_original.gif
                          Image courtesy of Jene Bramel of Footballguys.com.

In a 4-3 front, the 3 technique is long known for being a fixture as the pass-rushing maven of the two interior defensive lineman. One of the most well-known pass rush demons at the alignment was former Tampa Bay Buccaneer and Oakland Raider Warren Sapp, a dominant defensive tackle with great initial quickness that jolted blockers at the snap of the ball.

However, in a 3-4 front, the 3 technique defensive lineman was not once as popular as it is today. Not too long ago, 3-4 defenses were known for their 2-gap schematic style that saw a 0 technique nose tackle that was head up on the offensive center while two 4 techniques aligned across the offensive tackles.

Although the 2-gap concept is still in use today, it is not as popular, as teams have shifted toward the 1-gap concept that enables them to use shaded techniques such as the 3 technique.

In the 3-4 defense, the 3 technique serves essentially as a reduced end because of the three down linemen, and is not often viewed in the same light as the 3 technique in the 4-3 defense. However, it is similar after the snap.

Despite the 3-4 defense having a difference in numbers in a two- and three-point stance, the 1-gap scheme operates as essentially a 4-3 defense after the snap due to the way the techniques, such as the 3 and 5, are played. This is particularly noticeable in the adjustment from the 4-3 and 3-4 Under fronts.

Slide3_original.jpg
                          Diagram courtesy of trojanfootballanalysis.com

The 4-3 Under front utilizes a 1 technique on the strong side of the formation (to the tight end) and a 3 technique on the weak side (away from the tight end) as well as a strong side linebacker lined up head up on the tight end. Along with these three are two 5 technique defensive ends to each side, strong and weak, of the defensive line.

In the 3-4 Under front, it is the same thing with the exception of the weak side end (away from the tight end) in a stand-up 5 technique, which is often called an "overhang" or "ghost" rusher.

Because of these two fronts similarities, defenses are able to slide in and out of them with a simple hand down, man down or hand up, stand up thinking. This also creates more flexibility within the defensive front and enables the defense to offer more exotic looks to the offense, potentially confusing the offense's blockers and quarterback, as was seen this season by the New England Patriots and Houston Texans' defenses.
                          Last edited by Formula 21; 06-23-2014, 12:41 PM.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X