• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

How many #6 and #7 picks are people blown away by? They're long shots at best. Grice over Mathews? I think not.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
      I think there's a greater chance we resign Woodhead than Matthews. To begin with, next years crop of RBs are pretty awesome. Second, Mathews is already fairly old. Lastly his injury history. Just don't think it's prudent to give him more than a 2 year deal and he will be looking for 4 years I suspect. It's just not smart to spend big on RBs anymore. Gone are the 10 mil per year for RBs. If he comes back for a contract similar to Browns, sure. I doubt he will though.
      What? Mathews is 26 and only has 849 rushes. Woodhead is 29. Id give him a 3 year deal if he has another good season.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-23-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        Im not blown away by Grice either and didnt really like the pick but ill ive saying is Tutu is replacable because Grice can do what he does on STs if there is a WR they like as a WR better. There are many possibilitys. Tutu isnt some rock solid player we need to keep is my point. I like Tutu but keep the best players.
        it's yet to be proven if Grice can do ANYTHING at the NFL level- let alone better than a guy that has been good on STs a couple years already. Also, WR is 1 of those spots we're going to need to keep more guys than you would ideally (OLB is another) because you have a history of injuries among many of the players you are counting on to contribute. What Tutu is- is a solid NFL veteran contributor in a position of need. He likely won't be pushing his way up the depth chart on merit (just injury), but I don't think his spot is in jeopardy either from challenges by Inman or Grice. More likely it comes down to those last 2 fighting for the final WR spot IMO.
        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

On guard: While Jeromey Clary was on crutches, Johnnie Troutman remained the first-team right guard. Troutman played well for most of his 628 snaps last year, save for a few major missteps in crucial situations. Given that third-round pick Chris Watt is a lock, Troutman might not make the team

Red alert: At least at three-quarters speed, you had to like what you saw out of the offensive line and Ryan Mathews in the red zone. I saw Mathews do an LT jump cut through the same kind of hole LT used to see in actual games.

Worth more: Watch for defensive tackle Tenny Palepoi to move up the depth chart during training camp. The undrafted rookie is quick and strong. The Chargers need depth in the front. Maybe just a practice squad guy, but watch him.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
            What? Mathews is 26 and only has 849 rushes. Woodhead is 29. Id give him a 3 year deal if he has another good season.
            Matthews turns 27 in Oct. His first extension year would be year 28, which is close to when a lot of RBs breakdown. Not to mention power backs in general break down quicker. I just don't see Matthews living up to the type of extension he would want.

Like I said if it's a Brown type contract, sure. Just not sure he will settle for that type of deal. They have to play hardball with him. Rbs are a dime a dozen.
            Last edited by Beerman; 06-23-2014, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Troutman got his first taste of playing last year. I can't see him getting cut either unless he really sucks during TC.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                it's yet to be proven if Grice can do ANYTHING at the NFL level- let alone better than a guy that has been good on STs a couple years already. Also, WR is 1 of those spots we're going to need to keep more guys than you would ideally (OLB is another) because you have a history of injuries among many of the players you are counting on to contribute. What Tutu is- is a solid NFL veteran contributor in a position of need. He likely won't be pushing his way up the depth chart on merit (just injury), but I don't think his spot is in jeopardy either from challenges by Inman or Grice. More likely it comes down to those last 2 fighting for the final WR spot IMO.
                He's been cut how many times? Been a street signing how many times?

I like Tutu, he's a great story and I think it's great he's come on as a STer, but he's another Osgood out there as a WR (at least to date), not somebody we - or any team - is trying real hard to keep. His roster spot will always be at risk to another WR with better innate talent until Tutu shows he's more than just a 5th WR. If he was the Cesaire of backup WRs, that'd be something else, and maybe he still can be. But that's his (maybe) ceiling, IMHO. Reese's may be higher, remains to be seen but there's a talent separation already in Reese's speed and open field running.

Likely as not, Tutu keeps his roster spot and Reese goes to the PS, but would not surprise me if Reese finds a spot on the 53, and at the expense of Tutu.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                  Go Aztecs and Pads
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                  The addition of a
                  true NT body type in Careathers will make the oline think hard about who to double team.
                  Originally posted by blueman View Post
                  He's been cut how many times? Been a street signing how many times?

I like Tutu, he's a great story and I think it's great he's come on as a STer, but he's another Osgood out there as a WR (at least to date), not somebody we - or any team - is trying real hard to keep. His roster spot will always be at risk to another WR with better innate talent until Tutu shows he's more than just a 5th WR. If he was the Cesaire of backup WRs, that'd be something else, and maybe he still can be. But that's his (maybe) ceiling, IMHO. Reese's may be higher, remains to be seen but there's a talent separation already in Reese's speed and open field running.

Likely as not, Tutu keeps his roster spot and Reese goes to the PS, but would not surprise me if Reese finds a spot on the 53, and at the expense of Tutu.
                  Tutu did make the biggest catch of the season.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                    Matthews turns 27 in Oct. His first extension year would be year 28, which is close to when a lot of RBs breakdown. Not to mention power backs in general break down quicker. I just don't see Matthews living up to the type of extension he would want.

Like I said if it's a Brown type contract, sure. Just not sure he will settle for that type of deal. They have to play hardball with him. Rbs are a dime a dozen.
                    If we sign him to a three year deal he will be 29 going into the last hear of that deal.
                    Woodhead is 29. A guy you said they should resign after this season.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-23-2014, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Rivers likes Tutu's talent. That says a lot to me.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

As for Tutu, in not hoping he gets cut. I'm for who the best players are. I just think it is a joke to call him a lock to make this team. He had a really great catch to win a game but that was one of only a few he had all year with all the injuries we had.

Wired via Nexus 5
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-23-2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Let me know when River's says something negative about anyone. He probably liked Cox too.

Comment

Working...
                          X