Attached Files

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
      who do you like this offseason ??

personally would spend that $20m on Whitworth ($7.5m) and Conklin ($12.5m)…. would also follow that up w/Quinton Spain @OG.

not gonna happen, and.... if Andrew gets beat out in camp you can cut him.... otherwise am pretty certain he'll sign for a similar term to Rivers.... 2 years that's really a one year swan song contract.

and guessin' you'd have to sign Conklin to a three year deal, albeit hopefully there would be a reasonable out after the second year.

would also jettison Feeney for a draft pick and not sure Scott sticks around ?? ….also don't see the merits in resigning an avg Scho ??

and just don't follow/get the hope & pray logic (or lack thereof) for Russ 'n Mike ?? why would you derail a season a second time in a row, knowing not only what you know from just this last season, but from the get go when you signed the both of 'em…. they were both notable injury concerns/risks upon signing initial contracts here.

do see Pip as our swing tackle, Groy as the backup OC unless unseated by a new arrival.... hopefully Lamp can figure it out @LG, and hopefully Q takes that proverbial next step @the OC ??

LT * Whitworth (name your better tackle if you're one of the AW complainers/ranters, and yes.... would love AT too)
      LG * Forrest
      OC * Q, Groy
      RG * Q Spain, Sam
      RT * Jack, Pip

my guy in the draft, Trey Smith, just announced he is returning to school, so as of now have no prospect that am backing in the draft.... outside of the improbable drafting of Thomas @6.

and yes, would invite Scott to camp.... just not sure he makes the grade ??
      whitworth is done
      here is the thing in free agency - nobody over 30 o n the downside of their career. and if you do sign somebody like that over 30, its a one year vet minimum deal
      Conklin, Scherff, Glasnow - thats fine

Feeney doesn't have enough value for a draft pick
      Tevi and Scott - move them to OG and if they don't stick, they are at best your bench

Chargers should get OT in the draft no problem

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Overall OL salaries (Over the cap 1/11/2020)
        Attached Files

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Just a quick look at the OL values, a FA interior guy is probably going to cost $11+ mill per season, and OT something like $14+ mill. That's a guess, but probably a bit on the low side given how much cap space teams have and how much they overpay for guys with warts.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

OR.......

We could be active early in FA, if the players available merit it, and sign younger vets heading into their prime.

Example. Graham Glasgow (OC/OG) on a 4-5 year $9-$12 million annually and Jack Conklin on a 4-6 year $13-$16 million annually deals.

This would solidify 2 positions going forward with guys that logged 58 & 57 starts over their first 4 years.

We could then cut, restructure contracts, or trade Russ and Mike. Pouncey cap hit is not bad so he can easily be retained within our cap structure.
            Our starting Oline right now, Okung-Feeney-Pouncey-Lamp-Tevi, all have their contracts expiring in 2021. Horrible idea to go into the 2020 season like that.

I do not see how these contracts are a problem.

Okung: wait and see, do a restructure/extension in camp, once it is determined he is ok. This should be a team friendly deal based upon circumstances.

Tevi: resign at a decent price.

Pouncey: wait and see how his neck is holding up. Do an extension in season if prudent.

Feeney/Lamp: I am not losing any sleep whatsoever, about the prospect of trying to match the offers these dudes will receive.

Manufactured crisis...panic in Inglewood...SMH.

The Trenchers make me vomit.

Trust in TT.
            Faith in McGuire.
            Let the draft come to us.
            Build this D.
            Convince Joey to stay.

JMO.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

whitworth is done
              here is the thing in free agency - nobody over 30 o n the downside of their career. and if you do sign somebody like that over 30, its a one year vet minimum deal

Tevi and Scott - move them to OG and if they don't stick, they are at best your bench

I study the shit out of Oline, development, UFAs, scheme fit, and draft slotting.

Y'all are gonna get an argument from me about this.

I've been dealing with you Trencher types for years.

Essay coming soon ...

:coffee:

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

whitworth is done

Many OL are still very competent into their mid 30's. If they could add a good OL that had 4/5 years left in him, why not?
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Many OL are still very competent into their mid 30's. If they could add a good OL that had 4/5 years left in him, why not?
                  Roo, I would consider that, IF the player doesn't have a bad injury history, and IF he'll agree to a team friendly deal with an "out" after about 2 years...and IF the deal doesn't break the bank...so, those are 3 mighty big "if's"...

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

So has the herd shifted back to the O line was a problem? I thought everything was Rivers fault and the O line was comprised of all stars.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Jason from OTC has done good work on teams and snaps by age. The older the team by snaps played-, the worse the team historically. Of course you can have one off teams here and there. I just think NFL is about players on that second contract 25-27 through young 30's.

I do get OL is a position that might age better than RB or CB. But I just think better - all things equal - to get the younger player who more likely will decline slower than an older player. Of course, give me the two players, give me the contracts, etc - I might have a different answer. I am not shutting the door on anybody. Just my preference.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I do not see how these contracts are a problem.

Okung: wait and see, do a restructure/extension in camp, once it is determined he is ok. This should be a team friendly deal based upon circumstances.

Tevi: resign at a decent price.

Pouncey: wait and see how his neck is holding up. Do an extension in season if prudent.

Feeney/Lamp: I am not losing any sleep whatsoever, about the prospect of trying to match the offers these dudes will receive.

Manufactured crisis...panic in Inglewood...SMH.

The Trenchers make me vomit.

Trust in TT.
                        Faith in McGuire.
                        Let the draft come to us.
                        Build this D.
                        Convince Joey to stay.

JMO.
                        I don;'t worry about the cap. The cap is all about cash and a good accountant. The Chargers can make room for players "under the cap." Its just historically, players from the Pro Bowl are not obtained in free agency. But Free Agency can be used to augment your roster and get solid dependable NFL players that fill a role, play a lot of snaps and are positive players.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

I don;'t worry about the cap. The cap is all about cash and a good accountant. The Chargers can make room for players "under the cap." Its just historically, players from the Pro Bowl are not obtained in free agency. But Free Agency can be used to augment your roster and get solid dependable NFL players that fill a role, play a lot of snaps and are positive players.
                          Nice fantasy

Comment

Working...
                          X