Originally posted by Tol View Post
      Current OL
      LT - Okung, Pipkins
      LG - Feeney, Lamp
      C - Pouncey, Quessenberry
      RG - Schofield, Groy
      RT - Tevi

Draft RT @ #37
      Austin Jackson (too raw to start year 1)
      Josh Jones
      Prince Tega Wanogho (T-Rex arms) no thanks

New OL #1
      LT - Okung ($15.500,000.00), Pipkins
      LG - Thuney ($13,000,000.00-$16,000,000.00), Feeney
      C - Pouncey ($7,250,000.00) Quessenberry
      RG - Lamp, Schofield ($5,000,000.00-$7,500,000.00)
      RT - Conklin ($15,000,000.00-$17,000,000.00), Jackson

or

New OL #2
      LT - Castonzo , Pipkins
      LG - Feeney, Lamp
      C - Pouncey, Quessenberry
      RG - Scherff, Schofield
      RT - Jackson, Tevi
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Tol
        From Accounting
        • Mar 2019
        • Carlsbad
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
        Draft RT @ #37
        Austin Jackson (too raw to start year 1)
        Josh Jones
        Prince Tega Wanogho (T-Rex arms) no thanks
        While Wanogho is probably the most raw, since he comes from a basketball background, he may also have the highest ceiling.
        Having 33"+ arms means little to nothing in terms of OT performance. Having the speed to mirror bendy edge rushers is a lot more coveted.
        One scout says Jones is "such a long way off from being ready to see an NFL field." So that's why I prefer Jackson. If he beats out Tevi he starts, if not then he sits.
        But those are the 3 most likely Tackles to be on the board at the start of the 2nd.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Yeah, to bring in FA OL you'd have to cut some of the salary (Okung, Pouncey). But I do like Thuney and Conklin. Market value on those two is about $12 million and $15 million respectively. Cutting Okung and Pouncey would save $19 million against the cap, however. It would cost $8 million to make those moves... but would drastically improve two positions along the OL. You'd also have to dedicate to replacing LT and OC through the draft. We're certainly in that position this draft. Maybe Wills @#6 and Ruiz in the 3rd...?

OT's: Wills, Conklin, Pipkins
          OG's: Thuney... then Lamp, Feeney, and Tevi fight for 2 OG spots.
          OC: Ruiz, Quessenberry

That would be a solid OL with depth.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

While Wanogho is probably the most raw, since he comes from a basketball background, he may also have the highest ceiling.
            Having 33"+ arms means little to nothing in terms of OT performance. Having the speed to mirror bendy edge rushers is a lot more coveted.
            One scout says Jones is "such a long way off from being ready to see an NFL field." So that's why I prefer Jackson. If he beats out Tevi he starts, if not then he sits.
            But those are the 3 most likely Tackles to be on the board at the start of the 2nd.
            Jackson will go round 1, likely, because of his elite athleticism, length, and ceiling.

Athleticism, not speed, is a must for an OT,
            Length, not only arm but wingspan, is a huge physical advantage. It reduces opponent rush angles, ability to land punch strikes first, allows extension and helps maintain contact in both run/pass phases.

Pundit notes should be taken with a grain of salt. Trust what you see when you watch prospect game film.

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
              Yeah, to bring in FA OL you'd have to cut some of the salary (Okung, Pouncey). But I do like Thuney and Conklin. Market value on those two is about $12 million and $15 million respectively. Cutting Okung and Pouncey would save $19 million against the cap, however. It would cost $8 million to make those moves... but would drastically improve two positions along the OL. You'd also have to dedicate to replacing LT and OC through the draft. We're certainly in that position this draft. Maybe Wills @#6 and Ruiz in the 3rd...?

I think you’re gonna be a bit light on those two contracts.
              I’m in on Conklin and drafting Ruiz though.
              Our ideal/targets on the Oline depth chart/starters are damn simular.

OTs - Conklin, Becton, Pipkins
              IOL - Lamp, Tevi, Ruiz, Feeney, Qberry, TScott, Pouncey (If healthy) - let those 6/7 battle for 5 spots.

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

The solution is one mid priced UFA, one draft pick, player development and health.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

LOL...the audacity of making all these OL moves, after you run a beaten down, shell of a man Rivers out of town, having never made half that effort to protect him...but now we are gonna go all in on the line?

Somehow I doubt it.

I do like the idea of using FA to bring in some vets, so that the youngin's we have, and any we get in the draft, will have somebody to develop behind...and somebody to beat out to earn their spot...and hopefully not just get thrown in the fire by necessity before they are ripe.
                  Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                    • Send PM

I am glad you posted that little tidbit about arm length and tackle performance...however, there is one variable missing from his analysis that may skew the data a bit...he is analyzing tackles who have already won a job and are starting or playing significant snaps.You could argue that the short arm guys in that study are prospects who happen to have overcome their short arms with other traits...but we are examining unproven draft prospects. When we examine unproven (as far as pro play) prospects, we do have to look at all the traits, and weigh them in our decision on whether they will be successful. I would like to see a chart based on prospective draft prospects, and whether they become successful starters in the NFL...including the guys who never made it. To be fair, you may find a bunch of short arm guys in the trash bin...don't know for sure, just saying the study doesn't cover that possibility...meaning short arms may be an indicator...but even then, should not be the only factor considered.

In any event, short arms are not a deal killer for me...just one of many things to consider. Gotta do your filmwork, and work the guy out to see how he does with the sum of his parts....physical size/lengths + athleticism + technique + strength
                    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I think you’re gonna be a bit light on those two contracts.
                      I’m in on Conklin and drafting Ruiz though.
                      Our ideal/targets on the Oline depth chart/starters are damn simular.

OTs - Conklin, Becton, Pipkins
                      IOL - Lamp, Tevi, Ruiz, Feeney, Qberry, TScott, Pouncey (If healthy) - let those 6/7 battle for 5 spots.
                      Okung. Schofield. In.
                      Conklin. Becton. Out.

BTW I count 10, not 6/7.
                      We have other position groups to address
                      with draft capital and cap space.

Do not allow the pervasive Trenchers to poison your mind.

:coffee:
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I know the FA calculator on Sportrac says his market value (Conklin) is going to $15 mill. Maybe because of the injury thing, but he is going to be looking for Lane Johnson type money, and that is $18 mill per season. With the desperation on the OL, and the cap space teams have, I would be kinda surprised if he doesn't get it, or at least close.

If you are the top FA RT in an OL poor league with lots of teams having tons of cap space and a rising salary cap the top salary cap value keep rising. Lane Johnson is getting $18 mill per season, his agent is going to start with that.

Bring in more marginal players, but do it in bulk. Add the top players via the draft. Mid round draft players need to come in bulk too.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

The CBA will inhibit the kind of head knocking that is called for with this model.

Meyer settled in with his choices early.

I suspect TT/AL told Meyer he could look for work elsewhere, as one of the first orders of off season business.

New ideas, voices, urgency are needed here.

I mocked for grit at Oline.

It is very frustrating to watch say Feeney and Scott showing some good things but having a habit they cannot shake.

And I'm down...with a key vet UFA thrown in.
                          Only in the sense that Pouncey and Okung will cost anything. And Pouncey is not going to get the kind of deal he got last time. If he wants that kind of money, he can go be hurt and limp through the season for someone else.

Part of the point with the other guys is they are all still on their rookie deals. You can't get ANY FA for less that that.

The other thing to consider is that we probably are going #1 on a QB. That is the only thing that is reasonable about moving on from Rivers is acknowledging that we are unlikely to get another shot at a top QB next season. As bad as we have been in the recent past, we have only drafted top 10 in two of the last 15 drafts (Bosa and Williams).

All these rebuilding strategies need to account for that.

Comment

Working...
                          X