Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Nice observation, Roo! It got me researching... this is what I found. Rushing attempts per game: # Passing attempts per game (#)

1. Ravens: 37.2 (27.5) 32nd
    2. 49ers: 31.1 (29.9) 29th
    3. Seahawks: 30.1 (32.3) 23rd
    4. Vikings: 29.8 (29.1) 30th
    6. Bills: 29.1 (32.1) 24th
    7. Eagles: 28.4 (38.3) 8th
    9. Patriots: 27.9 (38.8) 5th
    10. Titans: 27.8 (28.0) 31st
    12. Texans: 27.1 (33.4) 20th
    13. Packers: 25.7 (35.8) 16th
    17. Saints: 25.3 (36.3) 13th
    27. Chiefs: 23.4 (36.0) 15th

28. Chargers: 22.9 (37.3) 10th

Analysis: You're right, good teams still attempt to run the ball and stay balanced. Saints, Patriots, and Eagles were the least balanced and all lost today. Texans stayed balanced (33 rushes today) while the Bills did not (46 pass attempts today). As you can see, we were the least balanced of all teams listed.

If Chiefs and Packers go down this next weekend, then we're on to something here. Seahawks are in jeopardy with all of their RB injuries... they got a break today as Wentz went down (again).
    I have a feeling that the Chiefs are an exception because their QB is exceptional and their receivers are very good. Still, their inability to run out the clock late in a game could get them nipped.

PS - I appreciate all you guys that dig deep to find the facts. :cheers:
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I have a feeling that the Chiefs are an exception because their QB is exceptional and their receivers are very good. Still, their inability to run out the clock late in a game could get them nipped.

PS - I appreciate all you guys that dig deep to find the facts. :cheers:
      Chiefs made a big mistake when they cut Kareem Hunt

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post
        The Seahawks are having a season similar to ours last year. Overqualified 5th seed, all the lucky breaks in one score games..

I think 12-4 was an anomaly for us. So is 5-11. We’re realistically somewhere in between there.
        I don't buy the luck thing - they earned their wins by making one more play than their opponents did, same as we did last year. Just shows how narrow the margin is between winning and losing in most games and how quickly things can swing either way.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I don't buy the luck thing - they earned their wins by making one more play than their opponents did, same as we did last year. Just shows how narrow the margin is between winning and losing in most games and how quickly things can swing either way.
          I agree. Look at the four games this weekend - one lucky bounce of the ball could have changed the outcome. - Like when the QB fumbles the snap but he pounced on it before someone else can but if had bounced toward the opponents it could have been a disaster.

Teams that end up at 12-4 didn't get lucky so much as they made their own luck.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Midwestbolt
            • Feb 2019
            • Midwest
            • Local 150 operating engineer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Nice observation, Roo! It got me researching... this is what I found. Rushing attempts per game: # Passing attempts per game (#)

1. Ravens: 37.2 (27.5) 32nd
            2. 49ers: 31.1 (29.9) 29th
            3. Seahawks: 30.1 (32.3) 23rd
            4. Vikings: 29.8 (29.1) 30th
            6. Bills: 29.1 (32.1) 24th
            7. Eagles: 28.4 (38.3) 8th
            9. Patriots: 27.9 (38.8) 5th
            10. Titans: 27.8 (28.0) 31st
            12. Texans: 27.1 (33.4) 20th
            13. Packers: 25.7 (35.8) 16th
            17. Saints: 25.3 (36.3) 13th
            27. Chiefs: 23.4 (36.0) 15th

28. Chargers: 22.9 (37.3) 10th

Analysis: You're right, good teams still attempt to run the ball and stay balanced. Saints, Patriots, and Eagles were the least balanced and all lost today. Texans stayed balanced (33 rushes today) while the Bills did not (46 pass attempts today). As you can see, we were the least balanced of all teams listed.

If Chiefs and Packers go down this next weekend, then we're on to something here. Seahawks are in jeopardy with all of their RB injuries... they got a break today as Wentz went down (again).
            If you want to dig deeper, go beyond and look at the top Red Zone teams and where they rank in rushing attempts and rushing yards. You will find 10 out of 12 playoff teams in the top half of the league in RZ scoring, with 8 in the top 10. There's two outliers at #19 and #27 in RZ efficiency.

Success in the regular season, but especially in the playoffs, tends to (but not absolutely), revolve around an effective run game and a somewhat balanced offense, ie ravens top the list at over 57% rush to pass and are #2 in RZ efficiency. The chiefs at the bottom with 39% rush and are ranked #16 in the RZ. There's a correlation with rushing, balanced offenses, and RZ efficiency.

One outlier was beat last weekend (#27 NE). Next worst outlier #19 set to play this weekend. San Fran.

Super interested to see how this plays out, as the rushing numbers (#2 rushing team in att and yards) don't translate to much higher RZ rate. Could that mean problems down the stretch for SF?

Is a team like KC (#16) primed for a 1 and done?
            Last edited by Midwestbolt; 01-06-2020, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• OhioBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

All I can say is dam what a bad year for us to have injuries like we had and Rivers to have his worst year as a pro, we were expected to contend not just by diehard Charger fans, the national media was high on us. Look how the playoffs pan out makes me sick Patriots aren't the same Patriots, our bigest blocks to the Super Bowl would be the Ravens and Chiefs, I think we would of handle Tennesse, Tanyhill magic is coming to an end, and the Texans their O-line is worse as ours, but I feel we still could take them. If we played up to expectation one can only imagine we played KC close in both games, and I still think the Ravens can be had if you make Lamarr Jackson make plays from the pocket. Window of Opportunity at an opportune time we self destructed the whole 2019 season.

Comment

• Biggestfan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                All I can say is dam what a bad year for us to have injuries like we had and Rivers to have his worst year as a pro, we were expected to contend not just by diehard Charger fans, the national media was high on us. Look how the playoffs pan out makes me sick Patriots aren't the same Patriots, our bigest blocks to the Super Bowl would be the Ravens and Chiefs, I think we would of handle Tennesse, Tanyhill magic is coming to an end, and the Texans their O-line is worse as ours, but I feel we still could take them. If we played up to expectation one can only imagine we played KC close in both games, and I still think the Ravens can be had if you make Lamarr Jackson make plays from the pocket. Window of Opportunity at an opportune time we self destructed the whole 2019 season.
                A better oline and better dline would have translated to more wins.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Midwestbolt View Post

If you want to dig deeper, go beyond and look at the top Red Zone teams and where they rank in rushing attempts and rushing yards. You will find 10 out of 12 playoff teams in the top half of the league in RZ scoring, with 8 in the top 10. There's two outliers at #19 and #27 in RZ efficiency.

Success in the regular season, but especially in the playoffs, tends to (but not absolutely), revolve around an effective run game and a somewhat balanced offense, ie ravens top the list at over 57% rush to pass and are #2 in RZ efficiency. The chiefs at the bottom with 39% rush and are ranked #16 in the RZ. There's a correlation with rushing, balanced offenses, and RZ efficiency.

One outlier was beat last weekend (#27 NE). Next worst outlier #19 set to play this weekend. San Fran.

Super interested to see how this plays out, as the rushing numbers (#2 rushing team in att and yards) don't translate to much higher RZ rate. Could that mean problems down the stretch for SF?

Is a team like KC (#16) primed for a 1 and done?
                  TT said that the RZ offense was a major concern. Part of that was playcalling. Part of it was our inability to run in the RZ. RZ efficiency ha been a problem.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

Because of this o line plain n simple

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                      Because of this o line plain n simple
                      I would agree.... losing Okung hurt a lot, and then losing Pouncey on top of that...we lost our two best linemen pretty quickly. And then Tevi went down as well.
                      And we gained and then lost Lamp... It was a disaster of epic proportions on the offensive line.

I've got to believe that they will be better, just if we can have a consistent lineup. Even with a lack of talent, having cohesiveness is huge in O line play. We didn't have that from week to week.

Made it very hard to run.
                      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Partly agree.Lack of talent is lack of talent.Basically TT better sack up and replace Tevi,Scott,and Feeney and or Schofield.We need two tackles at least one guard and possibly a center.Go Team TommyJohn!

Comment

• RobH
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Tokyo, Japan
                          • University English Lecturer
                          • Send PM

I’d say that it’s less lack of talent and more lack of proper technique, coaching and situational awareness (coaching).

Most OL that come out of college need a lot of work on technique and how to prepare for their opponents. I would contend that our OL coach is not very good at teaching that. Just look at his resume.

Comment

Working...
                          X