• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nunc Coepi
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2020
    • Send PM

The Chargers organization is dysfunctional. Historically, it has not been enough for this team to have a great quarterback. It had Rivers and Brees, and it still could not make it to the Super Bowl. Spanos & Co. always find a way to fail. They never assemble a whole team. 2006-2010 was the closest we came to a consistent Super Bowl contender, but owners fired the coach in the midst of it all. This is the kind of self-defeating decision-making that has to be overcome. A quarterback, no matter how good, cannot change the front office.

Think about what Herbert might have gained, had he been Rivers understudy for two or three years. That was not allowed to happen. Why? Because the priorities of a shitty coach---- Anthony Lynn--- were more important. Spanos wanted to ensure that the BLM coach had. a BLM quarterback, Tyrod Taylor. As a result, Rivers was cut loose and Herbert lost access to that reservoir of knowledge and experience.

Tbe front office lacks vision and understanding. Worse yet, I don't even think that its members care that much

Comment

• ChargingBolts
      Superbowl?
      • Sep 2018
      • Los Angeles/Chicago
      • Send PM

Look at how Fouts hated on Rivers for breaking all of his records under the guise of being bias.

I don't see Rivers showing that envy due to his faith.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

I think some fans are getting carried away by saying Herbert is playing better than Rivers ever did. Rivers was a better quarterback in 2008 and a handful of other seasons than Herbert was the last two years. That comparison isn't fair, since Rivers was in his fifth season in 2008. I'm also not sure what we would have seen with Herbert playing for Norv Turner.

Rivers has mentioned he wants to retire a Charger. I think he hasn't had a presence around Herbert yet because he thought about returning last season, with the Colts and Saints showing interest at the end of the year. I think once his high school football season is over this fall we'll see Rivers come back and retire as a Charger.

On the the other hand, I have heard Herbert mention multiple times how much he admires Brees but have heard him say he was a fan of Rivers only once, when it seemed forced following his team record-breaking touchdown pass. I have always found that weird, since Herbert has mentioned he grew up a Chargers fan, and was quite young when Brees was our quarterback--and not good for much of that time.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

You guys have too much time on your hands.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
            I think some fans are getting carried away by saying Herbert is playing better than Rivers ever did. Rivers was a better quarterback in 2008 and a handful of other seasons than Herbert was the last two years. That comparison isn't fair, since Rivers was in his fifth season in 2008. I'm also not sure what we would have seen with Herbert playing for Norv Turner.

Rivers has mentioned he wants to retire a Charger. I think he hasn't had a presence around Herbert yet because he thought about returning last season, with the Colts and Saints showing interest at the end of the year. I think once his high school football season is over this fall we'll see Rivers come back and retire as a Charger.

On the the other hand, I have heard Herbert mention multiple times how much he admires Brees but have heard him say he was a fan of Rivers only once, when it seemed forced following his team record-breaking touchdown pass. I have always found that weird, since Herbert has mentioned he grew up a Chargers fan, and was quite young when Brees was our quarterback--and not good for much of that time.
            Rivers sat for two years behind a Pro Bowl, eventual HOF QB. When he became the starter, he had a HOF RB to take the pressure off of him. Herbert had none of that. Hardly any preparation what so ever. But he stepped in at a moment's notice as a rookie and immediately started playing at a level equal to Rivers at the height of his career, then the next season started breaking Rivers' single season records. In every measurable way, Herbert has out-performed Rivers. Herbert, simply put, is better right now than Rivers ever was.

Comment

• AFboltfan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2018
              • Balboa Park bench
              • Medical Simulation
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Rivers sat for two years behind a Pro Bowl, eventual HOF QB. When he became the starter, he had a HOF RB to take the pressure off of him. Herbert had none of that. Hardly any preparation what so ever. But he stepped in at a moment's notice as a rookie and immediately started playing at a level equal to Rivers at the height of his career, then the next season started breaking Rivers' single season records. In every measurable way, Herbert has out-performed Rivers. Herbert, simply put, is better right now than Rivers ever was.
              That's a bold statement for a guy who has NEVER been in a playoff game...

Its waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy to early for these comparisons...

:wtfc:

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

I mentioned that the comparison between Rivers in 2008 and Herbert is not fair. But no, Herbert is not better now than Rivers ever was. And LaDainian was in decline when Rivers took off and had his best seasons. Herbert probably will be the best quarterback in Chargers history, but currently he is not as great as #17 when Rivers was at his best. I've already posted stats that prove it for you to see. It seems you choose to ignore them.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

And by the way, through no fault of his own, if Herbert had entered the NFL in 2004 he would not have started under Marty Schottenheimer his first two seasons, either. Nor would Herbert have thrown 30+ plus touchdown passes with LaDainian Tomlinson putting up one of the greatest seasons a running back has ever had in 2006. That's why these comparisons are unfair.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

I wasn't going to get into this conversation but I'll just point some things out.

Herbert as a rookie threw 595 passes and 672 last year.

Rivers has only thrown over 600 passes ONCE in his career which was in 2015 and it still was short of 672.
                    He didn't throw over 500 passes til his 7th season which was his 5th year as a starter.

Herbert's rookie pass attempts is more than Rivers second highest attempts total.

Look I am glad we have Herbert and he is going to be elite real soon but why are we taking shots at Rivers? Better than Rivers ever was? I'll be glad to say that one day but I'm not ready to say that quite yet.

He can sling that ball but he don't have the defense reading part down and ability to take control of the offense yet the way Rivers did. When he does the sky is the limit with that arm.
                    It's just too early to say this imo, but I'm sure he will surpass him. Herbert isnt a finished product yet.

Comment

• PR#1
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I wasn't going to get into this conversation but I'll just point some things out.

Herbert as a rookie threw 595 passes and 672 last year.

Rivers has only thrown over 600 passes ONCE in his career which was in 2015 and it still was short of 672.
                      He didn't throw over 500 passes til his 7th season which was his 5th year as a starter.

Herbert's rookie pass attempts is more than Rivers second highest attempts total.

Look I am glad we have Herbert and he is going to be elite real soon but why are we taking shots at Rivers? Better than Rivers ever was? I'll be glad to say that one day but I'm not ready to say that quite yet.

He can sling that ball but he don't have the defense reading part down and ability to take control of the offense yet the way Rivers did. When he does the sky is the limit with that arm.
                      It's just too early to say this imo, but I'm sure he will surpass him. Herbert isnt a finished product yet.
                      Humbrees has always loved Brees and hated Rivers. In his sick and twisted mind he blames Rivers for pushing Brees out of town. His hates goes all the way back to the UT board.

Herbert certainly has a stronger arm but better than Rivers ever was ?

Look at his complete lack of respect for Rivers, the qb that played his heart out for San Diego for 17 years.

It's completely disgusting

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

Humbrees has always loved Brees and hated Rivers. In his sick and twisted mind he blames Rivers for pushing Brees out of town. His hates goes all the way back to the UT board.

Herbert certainly has a stronger arm but better than Rivers ever was ?

Look at his complete lack of respect for Rivers, the qb that played his heart out for San Diego for 17 years.

It's completely disgusting
                        Who is Humbrees? Velo?

Whoever it is, it isn't Rivers fault that Brees stunk the year before AJ drafted Rivers.

I also wanted to keep Brees and wanted a OT ,OL to help him out and only when it was apparent they were going to draft a QB did I pine for Rivers over Eli and I don't regret them picking him.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

Justin Herbert has a montain to climb to be the greatest QB of the Chargers.
                          D. Fouts and P. Rivers gave us big moments for a long time without a title.
                          The mountain is to do the same with a Super Bowl !

Comment

Working...
                          X