• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
    Justin Herbert has a montain to climb to be the greatest QB of the Chargers.
    D. Fouts and P. Rivers gave us big moments for a long time without a title.
    The mountain is to do the same with a Super Bowl !
    Way too early to say that about Herbert, but…he is obviously off to a way better start than either Fouts or Rivers did in their careers. If he can stay healthy he will blow by both of them. If he wins. SB in the next year or two, he does deserve that title in my opinion.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Nunc Coepi View Post

Tbe front office lacks vision and understanding. Worse yet, I don't even think that its members care that much
      Until Staley came along. I'd like to see how Rivers does with him.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Herbert has played two seasons. He of course he hasn't compiled Rivers' stats. But as for pure talent, it's obvious to anyone who is objective that Herbert is superior to Rivers. He is already breaking Rivers' single season records, in year two.

In all the measurables, Herbert has out-performed Rivers in his rookie and sophomore seasons. Then there is the dimension that Herbert has that Rivers never had - the ability to run. Herbert has 536 yards rushing in two seasons and has scored 8 times with this legs. Rivers totaled 600 yards rushing in his entire career and scored 3 TDs. One season he had -2 yards rushing. The most rushing yards ever had in a single season was 102.

Herbert also has a far superior arm than Rivers ever had. So many of Herbert's throws that have gone for long gains or TDs Rivers would never have even attempted because he never had the kind of arm strength.

Herbert is a multi-dimensional QB with maybe the strongest arm in the league. Rivers was never this. Herbert is also cool and calm and performs his best under pressure. Rivers was high-strung, a trash talker, who tended to get excited when the pressure was on and make mistakes.

Any objective person evaluating Herbert and Rivers comes to the easy conclusion that Herbert is the superior talent in every aspect of a QB's game.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Herbert has played two seasons. He of course he hasn't compiled Rivers' stats. But as for pure talent, it's obvious to anyone who is objective that Herbert is superior to Rivers. He is already breaking Rivers' single season records, in year two.

In all the measurables, Herbert has out-performed Rivers in his rookie and sophomore seasons. Then there is the dimension that Herbert has that Rivers never had - the ability to run. Herbert has 536 yards rushing in two seasons and has scored 8 times with this legs. Rivers totaled 600 yards rushing in his entire career and scored 3 TDs. One season he had -2 yards rushing. The most rushing yards ever had in a single season was 102.

Herbert also has a far superior arm than Rivers ever had. So many of Herbert's throws that have gone for long gains or TDs Rivers would never have even attempted because he never had the kind of arm strength.

Herbert is a multi-dimensional QB with maybe the strongest arm in the league. Rivers was never this. Herbert is also cool and calm and performs his best under pressure. Rivers was high-strung, a trash talker, who tended to get excited when the pressure was on and make mistakes.

Any objective person evaluating Herbert and Rivers comes to the easy conclusion that Herbert is the superior talent in every aspect of a QB's game.
          He isn't on Rivers level yet no matter what you want to say.

When he gets the mental part down then he will be. But to say he is better in every aspect is just wrong and you are the one not being objective imo. But yes no doubt he is a better athlete but running the ball to me isn't about being a better QB it's just another element he has.

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Herbert is not better than Rivers… Yet. He has all the ability but let’s see where he ends. This isn’t a sprint it’s a marathon.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He isn't on Rivers level yet no matter what you want to say.

When he gets the mental part down then he will be. But to say he is better in every aspect is just wrong and you are the one not being objective imo. But yes no doubt he is a better athlete but running the ball to me isn't about being a better QB it's just another element he has.

When he gets the mental part down? lol Have you been watching the same QB as I have? Herbert has the mental part down much better than Rivers had. And you can't name one aspect of a QB's game where Herbert has not already exceeded Rivers. Herbert has a higher career completion percentage, his TD pass ratio is better. His INT ratio is better (lower). His yards per game is better. And that's before we even get into Herbert's mobility and ability to score with his legs.

I get that you have a lot of affection for Rivers and that you are nostalgic and loyal to him. That is admirable. But you can't tell me with a straight face that Herbert has not reached Rivers' level. Herbert has been playing at a higher level than Rivers from the moment he took the field against KC in September 2020. Anybody who is objective knows this.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

When he gets the mental part down? lol Have you been watching the same QB as I have? Herbert has the mental part down much better than Rivers had. And you can't name one aspect of a QB's game where Herbert has not already exceeded Rivers. Herbert has a higher career completion percentage, his TD pass ratio is better. His INT ratio is better (lower). His yards per game is better. And that's before we even get into Herbert's mobility and ability to score with his legs.

I get that you have a lot of affection for Rivers and that you are nostalgic and loyal to him. That is admirable. But you can't tell me with a straight face that Herbert has not reached Rivers' level. Herbert has been playing at a higher level than Rivers from the moment he took the field against KC in September 2020. Anybody who is objective knows this.
                No he doesn't and to say that you just don't understand.

I have an affection for all our players and I do for Herbert but you are just a joker saying that. I also didn't know that you disliked Rivers because he was drafted to take over for Brees so I'll just call you a joker with an agenda.

This is no slight on Herbert but he has played in the NFL 2 seasons. There is much more to being a QB than throwing bombs and calling a play that was sent into you.

Sorry, I don't agree but you and with a straight face I'm telling you don't get what it takes to be a QB is all I can say and Herbert isn't trusted 100% to change any play he wants right now.

I Love Herb but he will get better. That means he isn't a finished product and he isn't better than a future HOFer yet.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-21-2022, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

No he doesn't and to say that you just don't understand.

I have an affection for all our players and I do for Herbert but you are just a joker saying that. I also didn't know that you disliked Rivers because he was drafted to take over for Brees so I'll just call you a joker with an agenda.

This is no slight on Herbert but he has played in the NFL 2 seasons. There is much more to being a QB than throwing bombs and calling a play that was sent into you.

Sorry, I don't agree but you don't get what it takes to be a QB is all I can say and Herbert isn't trusted 100% to change any play he wants right now.
                  lol Whoever said I didn’t like Rivers because he was drafted to take over for Brees is just throwing stuff against the wall to see what will stick and is wildly misinformed.

I generally liked Rivers. I was never upset that he supplanted Brees. I have never said that. But Rivers had his limitations. He never won a division title after LT left. He had his spastic moments. He would get excited and trash talk the opponent. He would get happy feet under pressure and throw an INT into double coverage.

Herbert is none of that. The 4th quarter and overtime period of the Raider game, the way Herbert brought the team back, performing brilliantly with Mad Maxx in his face…that ought to tell you how much better he is in those situations than Rivers was.

I cited above the quarterback measurables that put Herbert above Rivers and you haven’t refuted that. That is objective information. You’re just arguing from emotion, which is unusual for you. But I get that you are very fond of Rivers and are loyal, and I respect that.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

lol Whoever said I didn’t like Rivers because he was drafted to take over for Brees is just throwing stuff against the wall to see what will stick and is wildly misinformed.

I generally liked Rivers. I was never upset that he supplanted Brees. I have never said that. But Rivers had his limitations. He never won a division title after LT left. He had his spastic moments. He would get excited and trash talk the opponent. He would get happy feet under pressure and throw an INT into double coverage.

Herbert is none of that. The 4th quarter and overtime period of the Raider game, the way Herbert brought the team back, performing brilliantly with Mad Maxx in his face…that ought to tell you how much better he is in those situations than Rivers was.

I cited above the quarterback measurables that put Herbert above Rivers and you haven’t refuted that. That is objective information. You’re just arguing from emotion, which is unusual for you. But I get that you are very fond of Rivers and are loyal, and I respect that.
                    Rivers did most of that was last two or so seasons. Early in his career he did not do that so comparing Herbert to Rivers early is ridiculous.

Rivers also had WRs off the street at times and a shit OL. As much as I liked Malcolm Floyd he was a poor man's number two WR.

He has brought this team back so many times only to have the defense give it back at the very end was terrible, It seems he always got the blame for it because he couldn't bring us back with limited time on the clock. So sure he threw up some passes hoping for a PI. It was our only hope on some occasions.

Again I love her but he's going to be great even better than he is now so I'm not ever going to bash him He's been way better than I anticipated. But he just doesn't have it all down to where Rivers did right now and I'm not going to argue with you about that.

You can think whatever you want.

You can use stats to make a point All like I said Rivers didn't even throw over 500 passes in a season til his 5th year as a starter and he had 17ngames this year.

I'll just say rivers was great and Herb is going to be great as well. No need to bash one to pump up another.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

[QUOTE=Velo;n1330389]Herbert has played two seasons. He of course he hasn't compiled Rivers' stats. But as for pure talent, it's obvious to anyone who is objective that Herbert is superior to Rivers. He is already breaking Rivers' single season records, in year two.

/QUOTE]

Herbert threw 37 touchdown passes in 672 attempts this season. Rivers had 34 touchdown passes in 478 attempts in 2008. Rivers was a better quarterback in 2008 than Herbert was last season. That's not a shot at Herbert. He was great last year. Rivers was better in 2008, when he was in his fifth season, third as a starter. Herbert still has plenty of time and will most likely have a better career than Rivers. Hopefully that results in Super Bowl championships. If not, who cares?

The fact you previously said in another thread that Rivers' best season was 2015 (which wasn't even in his top five) just goes to show you either don't know what you're talking about, or you're just trying to make him look worse to make Herbert look better. I also think it's weak to point to Rivers not winning a division title after LaDainian Tomlinson left. Tomlinson was not a great player in 2008 or 2009. Rivers was a much bigger reason for us winning the AFC West those two years. And most years you go 12-4, as we did in 2018, result in division championships. We just so happened to be in the same division with the Chiefs, who went 13-3 that year.

Also, I don't even know why you brought up how Rivers feels about Herbert in this thread. This thread shows appreciation for Rivers. Speculating that he might be bitter about Herbert's early success in this thread is ridiculous.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2022
                        • Send PM

On another note, the Colts just traded for Matt Ryan. I think those fans are going to appreciate what Rivers did in his final season a lot more. It's too bad he retired before last season, but I get his commitment to the high school football team he's coaching.

Comment

• Budsman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

I honestly think Rivers could be a better color commentator than he was a quarterback. He has the type down to earth way of talking combined with a superior understanding of the game and energy level that’s off the charts. He could be the next amazing nfl color guy in the shoes of a John Madden.

Comment

Working...
                          X