• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

The guy wanted to be paid like a #1. Maybe he takes less with the Chargers, but they moved on from him.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Good point. Here's what it's about for me. It's not really Tyrell v. Mike. It's about letting Tyrell walk, and justifying that decision by saying Mike Williams is the obviously superior player. It is obvious he is not. I'm kind of disgusted TT didn't find a way to keep Tyrell, instead of letting him walk. That would have given Rivers the best trio of WRs in the league, and HH. Wow!

To me, Tyrell belongs in the class of Gates, Dielman, Floyd and Ekeler. Guys the team signed as no-name UDFAs who became legit and in some cases elite NFL talent. I'm just pizzed off a little that you develop a talent like Tyrell, who has developed to be every bit as good as the teammate you invested a No. overall pick in, and then let him walk, without even trying to keep him. Then he signs with your antichrist arch rival and is scoring a TD per game! It's classic Chargering IMO. I know, TT couldn't match what TW got from the Raiders. But if TT had approached his agent in the middle of last season - after the Browns game where he was an absolute stud - and said, "hey we want to make Tyrell a part of future, let's talk about a 3-year extension," the team could have locked up Tyrell for significantly less than what he got once he became a free agent. One thing about Tyrell we all knew is his ability to stay on the field, even when he is slowed by injury. He got banged up last season and didn't miss a game. He suffered a hip pointer in Week 2 this season and hasn't missed a game. Not saying that MW is pussying out by not playing with his back, I am sure it's a legit injury that is forced him to miss the Miami game. Probably they figured they wouldn't need him against a weak opponent, and it was more prudent to let him heal. That is a prudent decision. But that said, Tyrell is one of those guys who seems to be able to avoid injury or play through it, like Rivers. And I'm going to remain PO'd for a while that he is not a Charger anymore.
      All that said, I'd have liked to keep him too but the reality is we can't keep everyone. The cap wont let us and you have to look ahead. Melvin Ingram we can let go IMO but that just helps to resign Bosa and Rivers. I was ok with letting Tyrell go but they didn't draft a WR which I thought they should. Patton seems ok but Benjamin and Davis can go. Scott is always hurt.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-01-2019, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

this is kinda similar to the year where the bell cow rb Ryan Mathews made all the yards only to have Tolbert steal all the TDs. Tyrell is getting not many yards but TDs to go with the few yards he gets.

Comment

• OhioBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I think the point being missed it has nothing to do with Raider love it is a point of we drafted a player who we didn't need at that time. Keenan Allen i the #1 reciever here period and if Tyrell Williams was here he would be the #2 currently Mike Williams is the #2 problem is our #2 can't stay on the field, our #2 was the number 7 pick of the draft and he should be an impact player. Was

Mike Williams breakout season last year was a result of several factors

1. Health when your available your able to put up numbers
          2. Keenan Allen was the #1, Tyrell was #2A or 2B who you had to respect his speed left so KA & TW drew a lot of the coverages allowing Mike Williams with the one with the opponents lesser Corner covering

Reason of why we have M. Williams vs T. Williams post
          1. M. Williams #7 Pick can't stay on the field
          2. High expectations based on last year, not seeing productivity yet
          3. We knew Tyrell could be an #2, and we are seeing if M.Williams can be #2 he isn't getting the same coverages as last year (KA, T Will, and M.Williams)
          4. Bigger needs could of been filled with #7 pick this year

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
            I think the point being missed it has nothing to do with Raider love it is a point of we drafted a player who we didn't need at that time. Keenan Allen i the #1 reciever here period and if Tyrell Williams was here he would be the #2 currently Mike Williams is the #2 problem is our #2 can't stay on the field, our #2 was the number 7 pick of the draft and he should be an impact player. Was

2. Keenan Allen was the #1, Tyrell was #2A or 2B who you had to respect his speed left so KA & TW drew a lot of the coverages allowing Mike Williams with the one with the opponents lesser Corner covering

3. We knew Tyrell could be an #2, and we are seeing if M.Williams can be #2 he isn't getting the same coverages as last year (KA, T Will, and M.Williams)
            Great post. Thank you. You covered all the relevant points from my perspective.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

Once again, not sure where you're getting that MW was getting the third corner coverage last year. Tyrell had a great game against the Browns and had another decent game against the Titans. But he pretty much disappeared before and after those two games. Additionally, TW didn't exactly light it up when he was the #2 in 2017. One of the reasons I was down on him was because he didn't show the necessary improvements from 2016 to 2017. His shitty route running in particular caused some of River's interceptions that year.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                Once again, not sure where you're getting that MW was getting the third corner coverage last year. Tyrell had a great game against the Browns and had another decent game against the Titans. But he pretty much disappeared before and after those two games. Additionally, TW didn't exactly light it up when he was the #2 in 2017. One of the reasons I was down on him was because he didn't show the necessary improvements from 2016 to 2017. His shitty route running in particular caused some of River's interceptions that year.
                The major reason Tyrell Williams production dropped off in 2017 was due to the fact that Keenan Allen came back and had a monster year - 102 receptions and 1400 yards - and Hunter Henry joined the team and had 45 receptions and 579 yards. There are only so many passes Rivers can throw in a season. In 2016, in the absence of dynamic pass-catchers such as Keenan Allen and Hunter Henry, Tyrell established himself as Rivers top receiver over veteran receivers in Dontrelle Inman and Travis Benjamin, in his first full year on the roster after having been a udfa from a small school. Even in 2017 he was still learning, developing. In 2017, Keenan and Tyrell were the third-best wide receiver duo in the league.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

The major reason Tyrell Williams production dropped off in 2017 was due to the fact that Keenan Allen came back and had a monster year - 102 receptions and 1400 yards - and Hunter Henry joined the team and had 45 receptions and 579 yards. There are only so many passes Rivers can throw in a season. In 2016, in the absence of dynamic pass-catchers such as Keenan Allen and Hunter Henry, Tyrell established himself as Rivers top receiver over veteran receivers in Dontrelle Inman and Travis Benjamin, in his first full year on the roster after having been a udfa from a small school. Even in 2017 he was still learning, developing. In 2017, Keenan and Tyrell were the third-best wide receiver duo in the league.
                  More like in 2016 everyone was hurt and he was our best WR so of course he was Rivers top target. It was him and Inman who were healthy. Tyrell had 69 catches, Inman had 58.

I don't know why we need to keep discussing this. We can't pay everyone and we will lose other guys we would like to keep. That's the reality of the salary cap. Wish we could of kept him but it is what it is. Many teams lose players this way.

I don't agree with Ohiobolts take on it but it don't matter. Tyrell hasnt been the #1 Target for Carr being their #1 WR.
                  I don't know why some keep saying MW can't stay on the field. He missed his first game last week since his rookie year. Tyrell may not play this week for Oakland, has a hurt foot.
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-03-2019, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• madcaplaughs
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Every time I see Mike Williams high point a catch, or work for a contested ball, I miss Ty so much (Sarcasm). The only thing Ty MAY have on Mike is long speed (maybe 100 yard dash). That being said, Mike is quicker to come up to speed.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
                      Every time I see Mike Williams high point a catch, or work for a contested ball, I miss Ty so much (Sarcasm). The only thing Ty MAY have on Mike is long speed (maybe 100 yard dash). That being said, Mike is quicker to come up to speed.
                      Tyrell Williams ran a 4.42 40. Mike Williams ran a 4.49 40. The difference is insignificant.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Tyrell Williams ran a 4.42 40. Mike Williams ran a 4.49 40. The difference is insignificant.
                        TW ran a 4.38 40 on his pro day. http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2015/...lliams-wr.html
                        MW ran a 4.49 40 on his pro day. https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/s...tigers-pro-day

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
                          Ty Williams high-pointed and made more contested catches than Mike Williams did during their two years together on the Chargers' roster.

Comment

Working...
                          X