• Show
Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

I think... my thoughts only based on nothing... they move into the new stadium... struggle to fill it (of course).

The Rams want them out. The Chargers can't fill it. The NFL eventually tells Spanos to sell if they can't make it work.

Spanos sells for a profit... hopefully new ownership group... can finance new stadium... and move the team back to SD or in that area.

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• JOJAX85
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2018
      • Irmo, SC
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
      They all drank the same kool aid thinking LA was starving for the NFL and big corporate dollars would pay primo money for suites and boxes. The Chargers aren't gonna make out at the big stadium even if they fill it if they don't sell suites and get that money. They are no better off than if they'd stayed in SD just with more egg on their faces and a big relocation fee payment due each year eating into their tv profits
      That's the part that always got me. They already LOST 3 teams. The Chargers originally, then Raiders & Rams. What the fuck was in that Kool Aid??

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
        I think... my thoughts only based on nothing... they move into the new stadium... struggle to fill it (of course).

The Rams want them out. The Chargers can't fill it. The NFL eventually tells Spanos to sell if they can't make it work.

Spanos sells for a profit... hopefully new ownership group... can finance new stadium... and move the team back to SD or in that area.
        The league needs a major scandal to force out an owner. We know the optics won't be good in the new place, but the league is having trouble filling seats in certain places. I'm sure the other owners will press hard if they can get more money from another owner, but I don't see that, yet.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

I don't think the NFL can force the Spanos family to sell the team. And since the ownership is divided up among Alex's 4 children, it gets even more complicated.

Comment

• captaind
            Cook This Pork Chops
            • Jun 2013
            • Mars
            • Ball Holder
            • Send PM

I think it's far more likely that Spanos retains ownership but St Louis becomes a more suitable landing spot.

To oust Spanos out of his family business to be handed down to future generations would be borderline criminal. To go back to SD would be the NFL acknowledging a mistake (don't hold your breath).

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Pipedream

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I don't see how he won. He doesn't get any of the revenue generated by the new stadium. The value of his team hasn't changed. They're not selling luxury boxes (the real money owners crave). And he'll have to endure the criticism of other NFL owners... not to mention the scorn of former SD Chargers fans. I hope the spiffy owners' box is worth the humiliation and the $650 million relocation fee. I'm not so sure that's "winning off the field"...
                This is what's known as a lose lose. Everybody comes out smelling like shit. The NFL, Kroenke, Spanos, the Chargers, and the fans in San Diego.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post
                  So who in your opinion is in a more enviable financial situation? Spanos (renting) in a huge market L.A. or Davis in L.V.? (keeping in mind that the Raiders stadium is going to be invaded by opposing fans every game worse than Carson is because it is the #1 destination city for opposing fans to go see their team play at, plenty of hotels for cheap rooms, great weather in the winter to get away from their weather and a party atmosphere, wait until the Patriots play there how many Pats fans will invade that town).
                  I don't know the terms of the deal in Las Vegas. But if the Raiders are selling luxury suites at a greater rate than the Chargers... then the Raiders are getting the better deal. If the Raiders are getting a percentage of revenues from other events at the LV stadium... then the Raiders. All other revenues (TV, uniforms, general seats) are shared by the NFL owners. Certainly, the NFL can't be happy that the Chargers are only selling 25,000 general seats (shared revenue) in Carson as opposed to the 65,000 they regularly sold in SD.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

The value of the team certainly did change. did you not watch the video? Even if you didn't it's been said they are already worth more and they will make money even if they draw nobody.
                    No it didn't. Forbes valued the Chargers at 2.25 billion in 2017 and at 2.25 billion in 2018. Read the article I posted earlier (Voice of San Diego). Plus, they have to cough up the $650 million relocation fee...

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

This is what's known as a lose lose. Everybody comes out smelling like shit. The NFL, Kroenke, Spanos, the Chargers, and the fans in San Diego.
                      Exactly! The NFL is getting what they deserve... most of the fans in SD have moved on. They are no longer watching the NFL (TV ratings bear this out). The ones that have stayed (like me) are content to watch them on TV... but not buying tickets to travel to Carson. Nor are we buying any more NFL merchandise. The surveys taken in LA and SD showed that this would happen. They moved anyways... they get what they deserve.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

No it didn't. Forbes valued the Chargers at 2.25 billion in 2017 and at 2.25 billion in 2018. Read the article I posted earlier (Voice of San Diego). Plus, they have to cough up the $650 million relocation fee...
                        Wrong!...and it's slated to go up. What you wish for isn't the same as reality.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/los-ange.../#65f594ef6264

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

The Spanoses keep putting their money into things like this...

Comment

Working...
                          X