• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post

I remember going to the Broncos at SD and Chiefs at SD in 2014 and 2015 and it was at least 40/60 similar to Carson
    Sure. Then it should be easy for you to link a couple of articles like the ones below that report on that rather extraordinary occurrence.

The Los Angeles Chargers are in their third season in LA and yet they still can't fill their tiny soccer stadium home. On Sunday it was clear that if there's no

The Los Angeles Chargers might have reached a new low over the weekend, and that’s in addition to losing to the previously winless Denver Broncos.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
      Superbowl?
      • Sep 2018
      • Los Angeles/Chicago
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Sure. Then it should be easy for you to link a couple of articles like the ones below that report on that rather extraordinary occurrence.

The Los Angeles Chargers are in their third season in LA and yet they still can't fill their tiny soccer stadium home. On Sunday it was clear that if there's no

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaypari.../#77ba70bb6f5b
      That is a weak argument. Why o why would San Diego media report about that as much as L.A. media would report about it? It's not like the team was brand new to SD trying to get a fan base. Ever go to a game in Phoenix when it's the Bears vs. Cardinals? or Cubs vs. Dbacks? or Bulls vs. Suns? Blackhawks vs. Coyotes? it is always 50/50 and it isn't front page material, why? because the team has been there a long time and they are used to it. I was there. it was 40/60 40% Chiefs and Broncos fans at S.D. and 40% Chiefs fans at L.A. sorry if that hurts some peoples feelings (facts don't care about feelings) just like I was at the Rams Chargers game at the Coliseum, I wanted to represent the Bolts thinking it would be 10% representation and was blown away when it was 50/50 and a lot of Rams fans have hurt feelings about that stat and are in denial about it as well (just like they don't like to admit Packer fans took over their stadium last year). The eyes don't lie, colors, jerseys, etc.

Comment

• SuperCharged
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Utah
        • Midnight Toker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Or Utah. The sports fans there support their college teams and NBA team (Jazz) pretty well so I'm sure they'd do the same for an NFL team.
        I live here in Utah and it would never fly. This is center of the mormon world. It would be hard to fill a stadium on sundays. However that being said I would absolutely support this move.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

That is a weak argument. Why o why would San Diego media report about that as much as L.A. media would report about it? It's not like the team was brand new to SD trying to get a fan base. Ever go to a game in Phoenix when it's the Bears vs. Cardinals? or Cubs vs. Dbacks? or Bulls vs. Suns? Blackhawks vs. Coyotes? it is always 50/50 and it isn't front page material, why? because the team has been there a long time and they are used to it. I was there. it was 40/60 40% Chiefs and Broncos fans at S.D. and 40% Chiefs fans at L.A. sorry if that hurts some peoples feelings (facts don't care about feelings) just like I was at the Rams Chargers game at the Coliseum, I wanted to represent the Bolts thinking it would be 10% representation and was blown away when it was 50/50 and a lot of Rams fans have hurt feelings about that stat and are in denial about it as well (just like they don't like to admit Packer fans took over their stadium last year). The eyes don't lie, colors, jerseys, etc.
          San Diego media wouldn’t report something that didn’t happen. If it did they would. I never saw a single San Diego Charger day it was like playing a road game in San Diego. They said it a bunch about LA and now are just resigned to it

Comment

• ChargingBolts
            Superbowl?
            • Sep 2018
            • Los Angeles/Chicago
            • Send PM

I used to live in Phoenix. Phoenix media NEVER reported the split crowds vs. Cowboys, Steelers, Cubs, Bulls, Blackhawks, Bears, etc. I was there at those games in Phx, I was at the games in SD, I was at the games in LA, I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree. Go Chargers.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

I used to live in Phoenix. Phoenix media NEVER reported the split crowds vs. Cowboys, Steelers, Cubs, Bulls, Blackhawks, Bears, etc. I was there at those games in Phx, I was at the games in SD, I was at the games in LA, I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree. Go Chargers.
              I agree with you. There were many games where the Q was overrun.

The stands were packed with Raiders fans on Sunday in San Diego as they saw their team beat the Chargers to clinch a playoff spot.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post

I live here in Utah and it would never fly. This is center of the mormon world. It would be hard to fill a stadium on sundays. However that being said I would absolutely support this move.
                Ah good point, I didn’t think of the Sunday angle.
                Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Your memory is playing tricks on you. It was never close to 50/50 or worse at the Q. Never. The Broncos didn't even have 50% of the fans when they played in Super Bowls in San Diego and they played in 2
                  Yeah, I've gone to many Den/KC games at The Murph. At it's worst, it was 70/30 SD/KC fans. Simple mathematics should easily bear this out... IF there were 50% KC/Den fans at The Murph, then that would mean that roughly 30-35,000 Chiefs fans/Broncos fans were at the games in SD. And if there were only 50% KC/Den fans at the StubHub Center, then that would be roughly 12-13,000 KC/Den fans in LA. Why would there be 3 times the amount of KC/Den fans at SD games rather than LA games...? Especially when LA is four times the size of SD...? It doesn't make logical sense. On the other hand, if you take 20% (my estimate of KC/Den fans routinely in The Murph) of 65,000 (average Murph game attendance the last 15 years at the Murph)... 13,000 fans... you get approximately the same number of visiting fans at each different venue.

For some reason ChargingBolt is continuing on with his narrative. You and I both have first-hand, eye witness accounts though. We know his narrative isn't true. BTW, I was at the last home game ever at The Murph (a Chargers/Chiefs game). Even though there were only 55,000 in attendance, we still out-numbered the Chiefs fans (maybe 35/65...?).

Comment

• shruggy
                    shruggy was here
                    • Dec 2018
                    • Send PM

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaypari.../#77ba70bb6f5b

Your first article should be immediately dismissed, because after the SDSignGuy, he's the biggestet hater if the L.A. iteration of the Chargers.

He's a joke and often gets roasted on Twitter.

The second article is an SD Homer trying his hardest to be partial with the move, but always failing. He wrote for the SDUT and North County times for 21 years. Yeah, no narrative slant there.

With that said, the lack of PSL revenue is concerning in the new stadium, but perhaps expected due to the low price tag in comparison to the Rams'.

The Rams also have older fans who, on average, whether due to the age of their fandom or being older and more secure in their jobs, can afford those PSLs.

Most of the older Charger fans -- the ones who can (on average) be able to afford or are used to the price of PSLs are in SD. And I don't blame them for not wanting to make that drive regularly.

Once a person's fandom ages and IF the Chargers start winning big on a consistent basis (big IF at this point), the Chargers fanbase in LA will follow a similar trajectory as the Clippers.

​​​​​​​Now someone hand me a beer.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by shruggy View Post

Your first article should be immediately dismissed, because after the SDSignGuy, he's the biggestet hater if the L.A. iteration of the Chargers.

He's a joke and often gets roasted on Twitter.

The second article is an SD Homer trying his hardest to be partial with the move, but always failing. He wrote for the SDUT and North County times for 21 years. Yeah, no narrative slant there.

With that said, the lack of PSL revenue is concerning in the new stadium, but perhaps expected due to the low price tag in comparison to the Rams'.

The Rams also have older fans who, on average, whether due to the age of their fandom or being older and more secure in their jobs, can afford those PSLs.

Most of the older Charger fans -- the ones who can (on average) be able to afford or are used to the price of PSLs are in SD. And I don't blame them for not wanting to make that drive regularly.

Once a person's fandom ages and IF the Chargers start winning big on a consistent basis (big IF at this point), the Chargers fanbase in LA will follow a similar trajectory as the Clippers.

Now someone hand me a beer.
                      I would hand you a beer if you actually had info contrary to what either writer said rather than just attacking the writers. Do a google search, there’s plenty of articles about it and not everyone’s out to get the Chargers. I’m a fan. I have season tickets. I’m at the games. And believe me it’s discouraging.

as for the relative ages of Charger fans v Rams fans I don’t know where you got that info but I doubt it’s true. It’s not just PSL revenue, it’s actual seats that go with it and a huge lack of luxury suite sales.

sorry, no beer for you

Comment

• shruggy
                        shruggy was here
                        • Dec 2018
                        • Send PM

I would hand you a beer if you actually had info contrary to what either writer said rather than just attacking the writers. Do a google search, there’s plenty of articles about it and not everyone’s out to get the Chargers. I’m a fan. I have season tickets. I’m at the games. And believe me it’s discouraging.

as for the relative ages of Charger fans v Rams fans I don’t know where you got that info but I doubt it’s true. It’s not just PSL revenue, it’s actual seats that go with it and a huge lack of luxury suite sales.

sorry, no beer for you
                        That's okay. I'm a big boy. I came to this party for beer. And Ryan Phillips actually provides enough material to make it unnecessary to "attack" him. He does it for himself, at times. He already has an agenda that sets out to see the Chargers fail in L.A., and will retweet pics people have taken at halftime to show empty seats. (Luckily they're not smart enough to take pics where the scoreboard showing halftime isn't fully displayed.)

You're aware of my frequency on this board. I've already lent to the debate ad nauseum on Twitter, where I've been galavanting around lately.

The next time I'm in the confines of a chair in front of a desktop I'll gather a retort more worthy of a debate. Typing, copying, and pasting on my phone isn't fun for long stretches. Either way, you're firmly entrenched in your opinion, which I partially share and partially consider the equivalent of a Corona Light.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

The number of visiting fans in a stadium is up for everyone. It is much worse for teams that are not playing well, since the biggest attractor for any team attendance is wins. Especially teams with big national fan bases will often have outstanding road attendance and can sometimes outshout the home teams.

The Chargers are just worse off than a lot of teams. There is no big fan base in LA, and a national fan base is not going to travel in mass to LA for home games. The LA market has so many people who are either from another part of the country (and kept their loyalties) or developed their loyalty to other teams before LA had a team again. It doesn't take many away fans to dominate a small stadium.

Truth is that the same thing always happened in SD. They never had a great fan base in SD. The usual true die hards, but the lack of sustained success always hurt the Chargers, and the stadium situation was an albatross around their neck.

The thing in LA is going to be how much money the business ads and partnerships bring in. Add that to a 1/32nd share of the TV contract, the Chargers may not need great attendance. Although in time the lack of attendance will bite them in the ass.

Comment

Working...
                          X