• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • onthefence
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I completely disagree. You do not make a team better by benching its best player--Rivers. That is so even if that player has forced/been forced into making some mistakes. If anything, you coach that best player not to make certain decisions even when the player rightfully feels like he has to do everything.

However, what might be helpful is the team doing anything to help that best player so that he does not feel compelled to do too much. It seems kind of obvious that if your HOF level QB is immobile, you should build a strong OL around him. Yet, the team let the OL from very early in Rivers' career as a starter decline and it has never been built up to the point that it has been even average after 2006/2007. And despite that and having arguably the worst play caller/game clock manager in the history of the NFL in Norv Turner for roughly half of his career, Rivers is likely to retire as an all time top 10 QB in QB rating and passing yards and a top 5 QB in TDs. Emphatically, Rivers is not the problem.

The problem is that the OL as presently constituted is a contender for worst in the NFL. For most of the season, the team has had no menaingful receiver other than Allen or Ekeler out of the backfield. I like Mike Williams, but there is a huge drop off in his performance when he plays with any sort of injury and he has been injured all too often. Benjamin flat out sucks. If it were up to me, he would not play another down all season long and Patton would get his snaps, but the team seems to hate Patton. Henry only just returned, so Rivers has been without a decent receiving TE for most of the season. The team's insistence on using a poor showing Gordon for the majoirty of the snaps has not helped. Right now, Gordon looks like he is at best the team's 3rd best RB.

Additional pressure is put on Rivers by the defense's shortcomings. The inconsistent ability to stop the run (and that is being kind) has just killed the team when the opponent goes into their four minute offense. Despite knowing that the other team is going to run the ball, we have given up huge gain after huge gain on the ground, allowing the opponent to burn the clock when we are trailing. It also does not help that Bradley seems clueless when it comes to 3rd down defensive play calling, defending late in a half, and in making adjustments.

The strategy of having nobody on the DL that is a dominant run stopping force has been a complete failure as well. If I never hear, "we need (soft) quick interior DL players that can penetrate and rush the passer," it will be too soon. I would gladly trade 3-4 additional sacks for not getting blasted off of the line player after play and being able to stop the run. And when Perryman is out, I am tired of opposing RBs busting through our line like thoroughbred horses at the opening of the gates at Churchill Downs at the start of the Kentucky Derby. I am tired of our lines being the victims of bullying by the rival toughs. I want our lines to be the bullies.

It also does not help that the Money Badger has been out as there has been a clear lack of trust in the kicking game. If the QB does not trust his kicking game, he might try to do a little bit too much on his own.

As for the discussion about lacking competence in the two minute offense and the other posted nonsense, that just shows me that you have not really watched Rivers play. Rivers has led a multitude of late drives to win games. He may not have done it as many times as some other QBs, but that has more to do with him frequently having dominated the game early so that it is the other team that is trying to come back. And officials simply do not give Rivers some of the calls that are routinely given to other big name QBs. This is repeatedly seen on late and/or illegal hits on Rivers, which are almost never called. The same holds true with the recent intentional grounding calls where every non-Rivers QB almost always gets the benefit of the "neighborhood play" interpretation regarding out of the pocket and the pass getting at least to the line of scrimmage. If Rivers wore a jersey that said "Brees", "Mahomes" or "Brady" on the back of it, there is virtually no chance that either grounding penalty would have been called.
    Your opinions. As for not watching Rivers, I have been watching since his first start against KC when they had already clinched the division and a win or loss would not have affected their seeding in the playoffs that year. I even remember who his first pro TD pass was thrown to. The argument that he does not get the calls others have gotten over the years is nonsense. This is what I am talking about when people seem to think the guy can do no wrong and harbor zero blame for the failures of this team over the years. To blame the officials because he doesn't have a different name on his back for his failure to grasp the intentional grounding rule is laughable in my opinion.If you read my post I said he was great for a time with this franchise. Their is no future with this guy at QB. At some point they NEED to find a replacement. I could see it if they were a SB contender but this teamis not a good team. He is not the future.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

If the don’t make sure to double team block Khalil Mack today every play it might be Taylor time sooner than we were expecting.

Comment

• Classic
        Hall Of Fame
        • Dec 2014
        • Send PM

Not sure how to post this tweet. It looks like any idea that Easton Stick would be developed and given a chance are over. The team has him practicing at Safety. It just goes to show how terrible this coaching staff is at developing players at their natural positions.
        Last edited by Classic; 10-27-2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

https://mobile.twitter.com/danielrpo...70337902837760

Not sure how to post this tweet. It looks like any idea that Easton Stick would be developed and given a chance are over. The team has him practicing at Safety. It just goes to show how terrible this coaching staff is at developing players at their natural positions.
          LOL. man this forum is so dramatic now. He is playing safety on the scout team because of injuries and it says it is a possition he has played since grade school.
          How the hec can we read the same things and come up with vastly different conclusions?
          Classic over reaction here.

Anyone who thought Stick had any serious consideration for playing time with the first team this year just doesnt understand things very well.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Bumping this up, because I think Lynn should give serious consideration to benching Rivers and giving Taylor an opportunity to ignite the offense. Maybe a QB who can run like a RB - like Lamar Jackson - can take advantage of the Chargers' pretty good 1-2 punch at RB. Gordon is starting to peak and Ekeler continues to be amazing. I think there is a pretty good chance Rivers and the Chargers are headed for a divorce. Why continue with the same tired story? They have the bye week to make the change and install some new packages. Something has to change. Start streaks should take a back seat to moving the team forward.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

If you listened to the post game press conference, it didn't sound like AL is considering this.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                If you listened to the post game press conference, it didn't sound like AL is considering this.
                Well 10 minutes after the game I doubt he has had much opportunity to consider anything.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

I’d say it’s past time. Rivers is shot mentally. The look in his eyes tonight in the 4th was that he just wanted off the field. He expects the worst and makes it happen

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                    Outback Goon
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Australia
                    • Send PM

will Taylor throw jump ball to Ekeler?

Comment

• Electric Chicken
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Bumping this up, because I think Lynn should give serious consideration to benching Rivers and giving Taylor an opportunity to ignite the offense. Maybe a QB who can run like a RB - like Lamar Jackson - can take advantage of the Chargers' pretty good 1-2 punch at RB. Gordon is starting to peak and Ekeler continues to be amazing. I think there is a pretty good chance Rivers and the Chargers are headed for a divorce. Why continue with the same tired story? They have the bye week to make the change and install some new packages. Something has to change. Start streaks should take a back seat to moving the team forward.
                      Worst thing that can happen is we would loose,,, Oh yeah,,, we are already loosing

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Electric Chicken View Post

Worst thing that can happen is we would loose,,, Oh yeah,,, we are already loosing
                        Exactly.

Comment

• pacstud
                          Black Belt Poster
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Send PM

Sure, why not?

Sucks, I'd rather Rivers' last game be the last game of a season.

Hate to watch him on the sidelines.

Comment

Working...
                          X