• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PMR9FAN
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

You are probably right...preserving his consecutive start streak trumps the desire to find ways to figure out a winning formula and move the franchise forward. It's exactly what I expect from a Spanos team.
    You saw what happened to the coach who stopped Eli's streak ...hasta la vista.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Taylor is better at avoiding bad plays, but how much more frustrating will it be when we are not scoring any TD?

Taylor is a good backup, but he needs a supporting cast and he wouldn't have that with us. He is not going to overcome the lack of talent at key positions. Rivers is still the best chance to win games.

The plan this season was to play good D, control the line on D, keep it close. On offense, keep trying to move the ball, and break the occasional big play and then when the other teams pass rushers get tired and worn down, Rivers makes the plays to win games.

But the D is not getting the ball back, or getting our opponents O off the field, and we late in the game we aren't close enough to give Rivers and the offense the chance to score points late. We have too far too come back, and they can just sit back and play soft.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Taylor is a good backup, but he needs a supporting cast and he wouldn't have that with us. He is not going to overcome the lack of talent at key positions. Rivers is still the best chance to win games.

I don't get this. The Chargers are very talented at the skill positions of WR, RB and TE. Where the team lacks offensive talent is on the OL, which is the very thing that Taylor has the skills to overcome that Rivers does not. To keep trotting out Rivers as his skills decline with age behind an OL that cannot protect him is the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If you take the time to review Taylor's three prime seasons in Buffalo I think you will find that he was indeed a very good QB who flashed the ability to be a successful starting QB in this league.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

I don't get this. The Chargers are very talented at the skill positions of WR, RB and TE. Where the team lacks offensive talent is on the OL, which is the very thing that Taylor has the skills to overcome that Rivers does not. To keep trotting out Rivers as his skills decline with age behind an OL that cannot protect him is the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If you take the time to review Taylor's three prime seasons in Buffalo I think you will find that he was indeed a very good QB who flashed the ability to be a successful starting QB in this league.
          Hmm, yet everyone wants to trade Gordon, says he sucks and Jackson is hurt and Ekeler has been worse than Gordon running the ball because of our crap OL. You mean that very talented group?

WRs only have MW healthy. You mean that talented group? Hunter Henry is finally back and everyone else is mediocre at best. You mean that talented group?

I don't see Tyrod doing anything more than Rivers is.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Taylor is obviously more mobile than Rivers, but that is pretty much the only thing he has over Rivers. Ask yourself why in a league with a lot of bad starting QBs did he not find a starting job anywhere and had to sign here as a backup.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Taylor is obviously more mobile than Rivers, but that is pretty much the only thing he has over Rivers. Ask yourself why in a league with a lot of bad starting QBs did he not find a starting job anywhere and had to sign here as a backup.
              Taylor has a stronger arm than Rivers. I don't know why he didn't get a starting job, maybe it has to do with the tall statue like immobile pocket passer being ingrained in the NFL. It has worked well for the Patriots and everybody wants to duplicate that success. That is why I am looking forward to the Pats/Ravens tomorrow night. I feel like it's going to be a clash of the old and traditional against the new and innovative, perhaps a bellwether. I don't know, we may get a glimpse tomorrow night. My point is that what the coaches are trotting out every week on offense is not working. IMO, Phil is showing his age, defenses have him pegged perfectly. Meanwhile, we have this QB who has loads of NFL experience who can do all the things Rivers can't do and many of the things Rivers can do (look at his 2015-17 run in Buff) who has the legs and arm to run the type of offense that Balt is having success with, with a superior supporting cast IMO. If this team has 2,3,4 wins at the Bye, does it make sense to keep trotting out the same offense with Rivers, and start looking to draft a college prospect in 2020, without at least experimenting with what we already have on the roster? Who knows how good the offense could be turning it over to Taylor - why not give him his opportunity? What is there to lose if the Chargers are effectively eliminated from the post-season in a few more games?

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

When you say Taylor is more mobile than Rivers, that doesn't really do justice to Taylor's skills. He is a RB as well as a QB, in the mold of Lamar Jackson, only with more experience and and a more accomplished passer. He is the 3rd or 4th fastest starting QB in the league at the moment. Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and Mahomes are examples of mobile QBs. Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray are a different breed - true dual threats who are better runners than many RBs. Taylor is closer to Jackson and Murray - not quite their blazing speed but fast enough to be that dual threat.

It's obvious by the signing of Taylor and the drafting of Stick that Lynn wants to go that direction after the Rivers era. It's in his DNA, as a former NFL RB and RB coach in the NFL. Following is some video of Taylor in Buffalo. Tell me you wouldn't like to add Taylor into the mix in our running game. Oh, and notice he is a pretty good QB on top of that, and he doesn't turn the ball over a lot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqS8TKACWpg

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

When you say Taylor is more mobile than Rivers, that doesn't really do justice to Taylor's skills. He is a RB as well as a QB, in the mold of Lamar Jackson, only with more experience and and a more accomplished passer. He is the 3rd or 4th fastest starting QB in the league at the moment. Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and Mahomes are examples of mobile QBs. Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray are a different breed - true dual threats who are better runners than many RBs. Taylor is closer to Jackson and Murray - not quite their blazing speed but fast enough to be that dual threat.

It's obvious by the signing of Taylor and the drafting of Stick that Lynn wants to go that direction after the Rivers era. It's in his DNA, as a former NFL RB and RB coach in the NFL. Following is some video of Taylor in Buffalo. Tell me you wouldn't like to add Taylor into the mix in our running game. Oh, and notice he is a pretty good QB on top of that, and he doesn't turn the ball over a lot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqS8TKACWpg
                  And yet he is a backup QB who is now on his 4th team. No team in the league seems to feel he is starting QB material. I’m sure we’ll go mobile when we replace Rivers. Not convinced it will be Taylor though.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

I say give Taylor a shot. I'm getting real tired of Rivers and his panicking under pressure, and his inability to escape the pressure...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Wow, just wow with the Tyrod comments.
                      lmao....hmmmm, you don't know why he wasn't given the starting job? WTF are you talking about?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

As someone who suffered through the 2018 Playoff Game between BUF and JAC,
                        the "epic" battle between Tyrod and Blake Bortles,
                        I would say it is never time for Tyrod.
                        There is an issue with accuracy and consistency.
                        Give Stick snaps first.
                        Tyrod was brought in for a possible injury to Rivers
                        during a playoff run.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I say give Taylor a shot. I'm getting real tired of Rivers and his panicking under pressure, and his inability to escape the pressure...
                          This is all I'm saying. Why not see if Taylor can spark the offense? If the next few games are the same story as the the last few games, this is going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                          X