• Show
Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

If I’m Lynn I seriously consider making Phil the “unofficial OC” kinda like the Peyton Manning role.
    1. It can’t be much worse than Whiz
    2. it might spark some creativity from Phil and boost morale
    3. it won’t take much time away from practice because Phil is as seasoned a vet as there is and doesn’t require as much practice time as other players
    4. It will force Rivers to own the offense so by season’s end, he can’t blame coaching and will make his decision to resign with us easier, however he decides.
    5. I think Rivers would be much more aggressive than Whiz. I think that aggression will turn into at least one more win with the downside of having one incredibly devastating loss, like I said, can’t be much worse.
    6. It would be fun to see. If we can’t win, at least entertain me.
    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• ChargingBolts
      Superbowl?
      • Sep 2018
      • Los Angeles/Chicago
      • Send PM

C'mon guys it's not Rivers fault, so many people are talking about getting a replacement for 37 year old Rivers but no one is clamoring for a replacement for 40 year old Brees or 42 year old Brady and Rivers is playing nearly as well as them (Brady 150 yds vs. Bills, etc.)

Rivers can actually get better and better with age due to his brain, just like Brees and Brady have.

I like Rivers at OC like Peyton Manning used to do.

No harm in running the hurry up offense non stop all game long ... to my knowledge Rivers numbers are amazing in the hurry up ... he of all qb's can read a D and audible ... the other benefit is he can get the other team offsides if they try to rotate players on D, he won't have the clock run down to 0 anymore and burn a precious t.o., and it will get the defense super tired, we have the weapons, time to go hurry up (and not hurry up like a quick huddle and audible non stop and snap at 1 second giving them time to rotate players on D) ... I mean get the first down and immediately line up for another play and snap the ball at like 25 seconds and get the D gasping, the old Bills 90's O with Rivers at the helm would be something to explore.

Comment

• foreigner
        Tom Telesco is gone
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post
        Hear me out, Rivers is the better QB in a bubble but he is not a better QB behind this Swiss cheese oline. He’s an accurate pocket passer but he needs semi competent blocking to hit his throws.

Taylor can move and throw, he’s obviously a worse QB but he’s a better scrambler by a mile.

If now isnt isn’t the time do we have a time for Taylor to try and do what Rivers can’t do, Make chicken salad out of chicken *^%#?

legit question and I love Rivers more than most but I also don’t want him to get injured and I’m not sure behind this line he gives this team the best chance to win as sad as that sounds.
        I just thank God some of us don't have access to be a HC...

Comment

• foreigner
          Tom Telesco is gone
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          If I’m Lynn I seriously consider making Phil the “unofficial OC” kinda like the Peyton Manning role.
          1. It can’t be much worse than Whiz
          2. it might spark some creativity from Phil and boost morale
          3. it won’t take much time away from practice because Phil is as seasoned a vet as there is and doesn’t require as much practice time as other players
          4. It will force Rivers to own the offense so by season’s end, he can’t blame coaching and will make his decision to resign with us easier, however he decides.
          5. I think Rivers would be much more aggressive than Whiz. I think that aggression will turn into at least one more win with the downside of having one incredibly devastating loss, like I said, can’t be much worse.
          6. It would be fun to see. If we can’t win, at least entertain me.
          Hmmm no, at first it looks like a good idea, but Rivers is a Gunslinger, thats when you see the Ints... IMHO.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

I just thank God some of us don't have access to be a HC...
            Or a GM.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Or a GM.
              Amen to both.

Comment

• PMR9FAN
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Is was just a few weeks ago that folks were saying that Rivers has found the fountain of youth ...

Don't overreact.

Just block for him!

Comment

• DontEverGiveUp
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post
                  Is was just a few weeks ago that folks were saying that Rivers has found the fountain of youth ...

Don't overreact.

Just block for him!
                  Exactly. Dude was named AFC Offensive Player of the Month in September, when JJ and Ekeler were running effectively. Now we struggle to pick up 2-3 yards on the ground, and people think Rivers can't play anymore? Ridiculous analysis by some here.

​​

Comment

• Budsman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by DontEverGiveUp View Post

Exactly. Dude was named AFC Offensive Player of the Month in September, when JJ and Ekeler were running effectively. Now we struggle to pick up 2-3 yards on the ground, and people think Rivers can't play anymore? Ridiculous analysis by some here.

​​
                    Kinda hyperbolic don’t you think?

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

I know there are egos are involved and coaches and GMs are by nature risk-averse, then there is Philip Rivers' league best consecutive start streak. But I would really like to see Tyrod Taylor starting games if the Chargers lose again this week. He just might be able to spark the offense in a way the Rivers is unable to. The offense is stuck in a rut and can't find its way out of it. It's the same tired story every week. Defenses know exactly what to do and it seems our offense game plan works in their (opponents) favor. I'm watching Terry Bridgewater have success in NO and I'm thinking, wow what could Taylor do with weapons such as KA, HH, M. Williams, Ekeler and Gordon at his disposal? He never had an arsenal like this in Buffalo, where he averaged nearly 3,000 yards per season over three years from 2015 to 2017. He threw 51 TD passes against 16 INTs in those seasons. He also ran for 1,575 yards and scored 14 rushing TDs in those three years, in which he started 44 of 48 games. He is a year younger than Russell Wilson. At his peak for the Bills in 2015-16, Taylor was more productive as a passer than Bridgewater was before Bridgewater suffered his near-career-ending injury. Taylor is much, much more of a rushing threat than Bridgewater - he is more comparable to Lamar Jackson.

It just feels to me like we're on the downside of Rivers' career and his time with the Chargers is coming to a conclusion sooner rather than later. IMO it would be a shame to invest a boatload of draft capital in a top rookie QB without giving Taylor his opportunity to show if he can be a franchise QB. He is barely 30 and has relatively low mileage. If the Bolts drop to 2-6 this weekend, and next week roll out Rivers again against the Packers, with the Raiders and Chiefs to follow, I don't know if I can keep paying attention and caring.

Comment

• PMR9FAN
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        I know there are egos are involved and coaches and GMs are by nature risk-averse, then there is Philip Rivers' league best consecutive start streak. But I would really like to see Tyrod Taylor starting games if the Chargers lose again this week. He just might be able to spark the offense in a way the Rivers is unable to. The offense is stuck in a rut and can't find its way out of it. It's the same tired story every week. Defenses know exactly what to do and it seems our offense game plan works in their (opponents) favor. I'm watching Terry Bridgewater have success in NO and I'm thinking, wow what could Taylor do with weapons such as KA, HH, M. Williams, Ekeler and Gordon at his disposal? He never had an arsenal like this in Buffalo, where he averaged nearly 3,000 yards per season over three years from 2015 to 2017. He threw 51 TD passes against 16 INTs in those seasons. He also ran for 1,575 yards and scored 14 rushing TDs in those three years, in which he started 44 of 48 games. He is a year younger than Russell Wilson. At his peak for the Bills in 2015-16, Taylor was more productive as a passer than Bridgewater was before Bridgewater suffered his near-career-ending injury. Taylor is much, much more of a rushing threat than Bridgewater - he is more comparable to Lamar Jackson.

It just feels to me like we're on the downside of Rivers' career and his time with the Chargers is coming to a conclusion sooner rather than later. IMO it would be a shame to invest a boatload of draft capital in a top rookie QB without giving Taylor his opportunity to show if he can be a franchise QB. He is barely 30 and has relatively low mileage. If the Bolts drop to 2-6 this weekend, and next week roll out Rivers again against the Packers, with the Raiders and Chiefs to follow, I don't know if I can keep paying attention and caring.
                        No way they bench Rivers. Might have Taylor come in for relief but they won't mess up his consecutive start streak.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post

No way they bench Rivers. Might have Taylor come in for relief but they won't mess up his consecutive start streak.
                          You are probably right...preserving his consecutive start streak trumps the desire to find ways to figure out a winning formula and move the franchise forward. It's exactly what I expect from a Spanos team.

Comment

Working...
                          X