• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

agree except to note they weren't blitzing. They were harassing Phil all night with 4 rushers. The play calling on the last non-drive needing just FG territory was really bad imo. had plenty of time to get 40 yards downfield with 3 TOs without just chucking ducks 25 - 30 yard prayer one after another. Especially with the rush getting to him, needed some relief valve passes to Eke or MG, ... something other than we saw.

Very bad fundamentals on OT - both sides. they weren't playing against Lawrence Fricken Taylor. Horrible technique - that imo is coaching?
    They blitzed some. But yeah ideally you want to send 4 and wreak havoc like they did. There was still no attempt to drop Rivers back more and start doing more screen work. Its something we did fairly well last year. Rivers was harassed a couple years ago early and prior to the Dallas game they adjusted his drop back. Adding 2 steps. It helped. Its like they are trying to get the ball out fast by keeping him in the pocket but he is going for the deep stuff and ignoring the wide open underneath stuff. Henry and Allen were open in the flats a bunch last night. Rivers was rattled. He was seeing ghosts. Thats what that was.

Im starting to think the best way to fix the offense is to get a coach that really wants to change the philosphy. The pocket stuff with Rivers is really all he can do. So im not sure why we are not trying to sell out for protecting him. A mobile QB would have more success behind this line. And honestly??? After the way Rivers played last night? I was texting with my brother that i wouldnt have minded just going with a full blown Tyrod rush attack. RPOs. Catch the D off guard. But you cant do that to Rivers im sure in their minds. But as a fan we dont always have to think like that. We will always struggle if the OL is this pathetic. Im also just not sure what Lynns roll is here other than managing the players and coaches. I want to see a philosophical change on offense. And it will most likely require a coaching change and QB change. The only way im really comfortable with Rivers and the scheme we are running is if we fix the OL. Id try and free up money. Let some skill guys go if you have to. And sign and draft OL.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

They blitzed some. But yeah ideally you want to send 4 and wreak havoc like they did. There was still no attempt to drop Rivers back more and start doing more screen work. Its something we did fairly well last year. Rivers was harassed a couple years ago early and prior to the Dallas game they adjusted his drop back. Adding 2 steps. It helped. Its like they are trying to get the ball out fast by keeping him in the pocket but he is going for the deep stuff and ignoring the wide open underneath stuff. Henry and Allen were open in the flats a bunch last night. Rivers was rattled. He was seeing ghosts. Thats what that was.

Im starting to think the best way to fix the offense is to get a coach that really wants to change the philosphy. The pocket stuff with Rivers is really all he can do. So im not sure why we are not trying to sell out for protecting him. A mobile QB would have more success behind this line. And honestly??? After the way Rivers played last night? I was texting with my brother that i wouldnt have minded just going with a full blown Tyrod rush attack. RPOs. Catch the D off guard. But you cant do that to Rivers im sure in their minds. But as a fan we dont always have to think like that. We will always struggle if the OL is this pathetic. Im also just not sure what Lynns roll is here other than managing the players and coaches. I want to see a philosophical change on offense. And it will most likely require a coaching change and QB change. The only way im really comfortable with Rivers and the scheme we are running is if we fix the OL. Id try and free up money. Let some skill guys go if you have to. And sign and draft OL.
      Fleet, I do agree that with a more solid O-line, Rivers usually does better. But my concern is that even WITH a good o-line, this still doesn't address the Rivers Panics in Crunch Time issue. Remember, several of Rivers's errant throws vs. the Raiders were on plays where the pass pro wasn't all that bad. Rivers tends to press more in tight games, especially vs. division rivals. What we need is a QB who is cooler under pressure, and able to scramble out of pressure at times.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

I blame myself for falling into the trap of believing.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Fleet, I do agree that with a more solid O-line, Rivers usually does better. But my concern is that even WITH a good o-line, this still doesn't address the Rivers Panics in Crunch Time issue. Remember, several of Rivers's errant throws vs. the Raiders were on plays where the pass pro wasn't all that bad. Rivers tends to press more in tight games, especially vs. division rivals. What we need is a QB who is cooler under pressure, and able to scramble out of pressure at times.
          He may not have been under pressure to us....but in his head he was seeing it. He was trashed last night. They got to him. Prior to this game he was well over 65% completion percentage. He had a brutal game. If you go back and look at Rivers numbers he just does better when he has to do less. He needs effective running. Sets up the play action. He may be near the end. Not really defending him at this point. I love him to death though. I dont blame the Pats loss in the playoffs last year on him. When he plays catch up he tries to force things. He doesnt typically miss those plays like he did last night. Its sad that he has never really been given a monster OL to play behind.

If we are drafting high enough i think you have to trade up and make a move at QB. If you are expecting Stick to be his heir apparent and he flops next year there will be major hell to pay. Its almost as if you have to think about figuring out a way to force Rivers out. But i cant even think about that.

He will probably tear shit up next game.

Comment

• UtahBolt
            Did we win?
            • Jun 2013
            • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
            I blame myself for falling into the trap of believing.
            This. Totally how I feel. Again. Just like last year, and the year before and the decade before and...
            I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

He may not have been under pressure to us....but in his head he was seeing it. He was trashed last night. They got to him. Prior to this game he was well over 65% completion percentage. He had a brutal game. If you go back and look at Rivers numbers he just does better when he has to do less. He needs effective running. Sets up the play action. He may be near the end. Not really defending him at this point. I love him to death though. I dont blame the Pats loss in the playoffs last year on him. When he plays catch up he tries to force things. He doesnt typically miss those plays like he did last night. Its sad that he has never really been given a monster OL to play behind.

If we are drafting high enough i think you have to trade up and make a move at QB. If you are expecting Stick to be his heir apparent and he flops next year there will be major hell to pay. Its almost as if you have to think about figuring out a way to force Rivers out. But i cant even think about that.

Pre-draft, the Bolts need to do their due diligence in QB evaluation, always comparing potential draftees to Tyrod and Stick. If they have a certain player rated significantly higher than what we have, I'd be open to a trade up. But I don't want to reach. So many needs: QB, OT, OG, DT, CB...we should fill at least a couple of these with solid FA's...

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

That’s what I thought and think I said elsewhere. He just looked mentally shot last night. Could say it was PTSD at end of the game but the way he started was horrible.

the word on PR has always been great student of the game, can read defenses, etc. that all left him last night. Harris, the Raider safety, had his number. Would have had 3 picks alone if the Chargers hadn’t been bailed out.

and you’re right. He may tear it up next game.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

'Better to get rid of a player a too early, than a year too late.' - AJ Smith

Comment

• SDBORN
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

You nailed it. To me it feels like we are still caught in a perputal and never ending version of Rivers led '' norv turner (turnover?) offense. Rivers was sorta reigned in here and there early in McCoy's tenure and early in Lynn's, but now things have reared their ugly head again. And we are back to more of the same.

If rivers wants to come back real cheap next year for a chance and we spend savings from his contract on dominating Oline, then it's worth a shot. But we have to realize, there will always be games where an offensive line feels some pressure and the QB has to be smart about his decisions. And per usual, I expect rivers to still be rivers. This has always been the case with him in my opinion - baffling throws here and there that are costly and cannot be explained by a veteran qb.

Now, If we aren't going to build rivers a top notch oline next year there is no point in really keeping same offensive system in place.
                    ​​​​​He's just not mobile enough and is too set in his old ways in terms of the style of the offense, to learn a completely different one IMO. He will audible out of plays because, well that's Rivers, and what he likes to do. Which many times is too much.

As far as Tyrod and the rpo. I think that's exactly what is going on in Lynn's mind right now. The wheels are turning, he's had it with Rivers and is trying to salvage this season out of respect with rivers at the helm for now, but I'm sure he would love to try a Tyrod run offense at some point this season if rivers continues to give him a reason to. He is probably seeing a Lamar led ravens style offense image in his mind. But Rivers has been here forever and the respect for the vet is still there.

Either way its time to get the QB of the future whether or not rivers is here next year. His poor vision and bad decisions will continue to be a problem we can't overcome without a dominanting defense regardless of the oline IMO. The oline still needs upgrades either way and TT has sucked there.

​​​​​

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

You nailed it. To me it feels like we are still caught in a perputal and never ending version of Rivers led '' norv turner (turnover?) offense. Rivers was sorta reigned in here and there early in McCoy's tenure and early in Lynn's, but now things have reared their ugly head again. And we are back to more of the same.

If rivers wants to come back real cheap next year for a chance and we spend savings from his contract on dominating Oline, then it's worth a shot. But we have to realize, there will always be games where an offensive line feels some pressure and the QB has to be smart about his decisions. And per usual, I expect rivers to still be rivers. This has always been the case with him in my opinion - baffling throws here and there that are costly and cannot be explained by a veteran qb.

Now, If we aren't going to build rivers a top notch oline next year there is no point in really keeping same offensive system in place.
                      ​​​​​He's just not mobile enough and is too set in his old ways in terms of the style of the offense, to learn a completely different one IMO. He will audible out of plays because, well that's Rivers, and what he likes to do. Which many times is too much.

As far as Tyrod and the rpo. I think that's exactly what is going on in Lynn's mind right now. The wheels are turning, he's had it with Rivers and is trying to salvage this season out of respect with rivers at the helm for now, but I'm sure he would love to try a Tyrod run offense at some point this season if rivers continues to give him a reason to. He is probably seeing a Lamar led ravens style offense image in his mind. But Rivers has been here forever and the respect for the vet is still there.

Either way its time to get the QB of the future whether or not rivers is here next year. His poor vision and bad decisions will continue to be a problem we can't overcome without a dominanting defense regardless of the oline IMO. The oline still needs upgrades either way and TT has sucked there.

​​​​​
                      Basically, the rest of the season is like "garbage time" in a blowout loss. That's when you put in your second and/or third stringers. I think that's what we need to to with Tyrod and Stick. Rivers may win us 2-3 more games the rest of the season; but he'll probably lose us more than a few also, especially with the tough part of the schedule coming up. I think we're looking at 6-10 or 7-9 at best. Might as well find out what we've got in our backups; that way, it will help us in our decision-making strategy on draft day...

Comment

• SDBORN
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Basically, the rest of the season is like "garbage time" in a blowout loss. That's when you put in your second and/or third stringers. I think that's what we need to to with Tyrod and Stick. Rivers may win us 2-3 more games the rest of the season; but he'll probably lose us more than a few also, especially with the tough part of the schedule coming up. Might as well find out what we've got in our backups; that way, it will help us in our decision-making strategy on draft day...
                        Once we are out of playoff contention mathematically, I could see Lynn trying something like this out possibly.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Once we are out of playoff contention mathematically, I could see Lynn trying something like this out possibly.
                          You're probably right; if it was me, I'd like to bench Rivers just ONE game and let Tyrod and Stick split time; who knows, it might light a fire under Rivers, knowing there are actually CONSEQUENCES for his careless slinging of the rock...

Comment

Working...
                          X