• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I don't base my feeling that it would be a disaster on his 2019 TD/INT ratio, I base it on having watched him play. I see a guy who is incredibly athletic and is a terrible QB with a very low ceiling developing as a passer. Just say no in any round.
    I've watched him (Jordan Love) a few times. He almost never sits in the pocket and scans the field - just catch and release it to option #1 the majority of the plays. The offense is so far removed from the NFL that you might as well draft a high school qb. He'll take years to develop and then you might still not have a decent backup.

He has a nice (not great) arm and he'll make a few throws now and again (little tiny glimpses). I have the same feeling for him that I had for the Broncos Paxton Lynch out of Memphis....who threw a lot of picks when he wasn't catching and releasing.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
      Would you guys put Eason in that same category?Rocket arm but too lazy or just not a high football I.Q.?
      Eason is a lot more polished than Love. I'd put him in Burrow's category: both transferred and both had some struggles year 1 running the new offense. Burrow had a 2nd year at L.S.U.

Here's something about Eason's dad:

HENS – Pete Cordelli says Tony Eason scored very high FBI marks. No, Jacob Eason’s father is not an agent for the federal bureau known by those initials. FBI happens to be an acronym that Cordelli, a former offensive assistant coach at Notre Dame, uses for something else.

“Football intelligence,” says Cordelli, who coached wide receivers for the Fighting Irish from 1986-90. “His FBI was second to none. His knowledge of playing wide receiver was like having a coach on the field, and his unselfish attitude of helping his teammates made him the most respected leader of this unit. His preparation was relentless, and he was one of the greatest competitors I’ve had the privilege to coach.”

Go and watch the 2nd half against Utah: Eason's worst half of football. Watch how he still wills the team down field the final drive, scoring a td to put them down by 5 with less than 2 minutes.
      Attached Files

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I like Teddy. I have been a fan of his since Louisville. However, he is still a developmental prospect at this point, and he is getting a bit old for a guy to do that. Yes, little wear and tear, but at some point overall age is a factor. Older people don't learn and develop as well or fast as younger players, plus they have a harder time fixing bad habits.

The other thing worth pondering at this stage is the franchise QB thing. At some point, some dumb ass reporter will pose the question "which of these guys is a franchise QB?" and the question we need to be asking ourselves is some, all or NONE.

To me a franchise QB is a guy who can carry a team, not just a starter. Many teams have a starter who is just a placeholder until they can actually acquire a better QB. Most drafts don't have that caliber of player in them.

The other thing with the Tom Brady thing, is that most of the best QB are not the most physically gifted. Tom is the exceptional case, where he looked so unathletic, he was at the bottom of some teams draft boards. But others like Joe Montana, Payton Manning, all had physical deficiencies, although in Payton's case, they were pretty minor. Too many of the Leaf's, Jeff George's have makeup problems that teams like the Chargers can't afford to deal with.

The most important qualities that a QB have are not necessarily things that may not be obvious. I would argue that Montana and Brady are hands down 1st and 2nd in the best QB of all time, yet they were considered by most to be lower round picks. Many 49ers scouts were not in favor of drafting Montana at all, and Walsh took him on his own because he was the GM. Even Belichick has been quoted that he would have probably taken Brady a lot higher if he had any idea that he was going to develop the way that he did.
        I remember a few of Walsh's post draft comments concerning Charger selections:

After being selected #2, Walsh said Ryan Leaf needed to correct his footwork;
        after the 2001 draft, Walsh said that Drew Brees would have a better career than Michael Vick.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Eason is a lot more polished than Love. I'd put him in Burrow's category: both transferred and both had some struggles year 1 running the new offense. Burrow had a 2nd year at L.S.U.

Here's something about Eason's dad:

HENS – Pete Cordelli says Tony Eason scored very high FBI marks. No, Jacob Eason’s father is not an agent for the federal bureau known by those initials. FBI happens to be an acronym that Cordelli, a former offensive assistant coach at Notre Dame, uses for something else.

“Football intelligence,” says Cordelli, who coached wide receivers for the Fighting Irish from 1986-90. “His FBI was second to none. His knowledge of playing wide receiver was like having a coach on the field, and his unselfish attitude of helping his teammates made him the most respected leader of this unit. His preparation was relentless, and he was one of the greatest competitors I’ve had the privilege to coach.”

Go and watch the 2nd half against Utah: Eason's worst half of football. Watch how he still wills the team down field the final drive, scoring a td to put them down by 5 with less than 2 minutes.
          That was a pretty awesome drive, and one of the reasons I took notice...he did some fuckin' up that game...but didn't fall apart...instead, grabbed his raisins and kept playing football...and made some clutch throws...

If you are gonna watch one game on Eason, that is the game to watch...you see what he can do, but you also see him make some mistakes...a real honest look at him...but even with the bad, I came away impressed with the potential, and the way he responded to his own hiccups.

One of my favorite throws that game...4th and 1, 1:15 left in the first half...floats a beautiful touch pass over 2 defenders, right into his receivers hands...and the kid dropped the ball...

As far as eye test, the kid has a cannon...AND a very nice touch...might be the most talented passer in the draft.
          Last edited by Lone Bolt; 01-11-2020, 05:35 PM.
          Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

“To me a franchise QB is a guy who can carry a team, not just a starter.”

Steve, truer words were never spoken. This year especially proved how desperately we need one.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Eason looks slow between the hears to me
              maybe it’s just being calm, but he looks almost too calm
              P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
              P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
              P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
              P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• BigBad
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

NBA scouts have used college free throw percentage as a gauge for a prospect's ability to improve their 3 point shot as a pro. The point is that free throws take a touch and it's too hard to improve touch later in life. It's a natural skill honed and developed in the formative years. If a guy shoots a good percentage from the line then his average or below average 3 point percentage is most likely just a matter of a lack of strength and/or maybe a technique tweak, It isn't perfect but it has been pretty successful.

It sure would be nice if NFL scouts had something similar to this with QBs. There is never a time a QB is alone in a game having to use his throwing ability. There are too many variables(receivers ability, competition, time to throw, etc) to even get a gauge on his chance of improving. It seems it will always be a coin flip on QB prospects.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  There are two sides to that coin. Joe Montana pointed out to his teammates John Candy sitting the stands while in the huddle in the Super Bowl . That is why they call him Joe Cool. I want a QB who goes for the jugular on the field, and buy you a beer after the game. Brady is the undisputed king of that in my book.

Joe Montana joined fans at Steiner Sports in New Rochelle, NY on Sunday, May 18, 2014 for an exclusive Q&A.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                    Outback Goon
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Australia
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    i'd take calm over furious hand clapping with 2sec left on playclock.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Tua's agent, Leigh Steinberg, just declared that he will be healthy before the draft.

Tanktop for Tua.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        Tua's agent, Leigh Steinberg, just declared that he will be healthy before the draft.

Tanktop for Tua.
                        If Tua is healthy and prognosis is good, he likely goes to the Fins at #5. So, Thomas and possibly Simmons get pushed down to us. Wirfs and Wills should also be there. A nice problem to have...Herbert is being mocked to us by a lot of draftniks.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If Tua is healthy and prognosis is good, he likely goes to the Fins at #5. So, Thomas and possibly Simmons get pushed down to us. Wirfs and Wills should also be there. A nice problem to have...Herbert is being mocked to us by a lot of draftniks.
                          Was hoping you'd do a shirt...a tanktop.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X