• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biggestfan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post
    The key for Philly Riv is protection ... when he has it, he can perform at an elite level.

He can still make all the throws and reads he used to make.

But when the team trots out "projects" like Pipkins to play blindside OT, things will not go well ... I assume everyone knows that right?

Lynn: "I wish Rivers wouldn't turn the ball over."
    Rivers: "I wish you hadn't drafted Defense the last two years."
    Bottom line is the Oline sucked. All successful franchise and non franchise QBs need good offensive lines. Football 101. Rivers panicked and made alot of untimely and illadvised mistakes this year. He has to take responsibility. That being said, hes immobile. And the running game and pass pro both this year have been less than stellar and unreliable. If we're gonna draft the next Lamar Jackson then maybe we can continue to drag the same tired below average offensive linemen out on on the field and get some results. Otherwise, Rivers or most any other QBs would fail behind this oline. Rivers definitely still needs to get better at taking what defenses give him no matter where he ends up. But this organization has to take responsibility.

Comment

• DontEverGiveUp
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

The key for Philly Riv is protection ... when he has it, he can perform at an elite level.

But when the team trots out "projects" like Pipkins to play blindside OT, things will not go well ... I assume everyone knows that right?

Bingo.

Most casual fans think QB determines everything, because that's how the media portrays it. We have a QB that can still play at a high level for another 1-3 years. Winning will come if we ever finally decide to fix the OL and/or improve our coaching.

Comment

• Biggestfan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DontEverGiveUp View Post

Bingo.

Most casual fans think QB determines everything, because that's how the media portrays it. We have a QB that can still play at a high level for another 1-3 years. Winning will come if we ever finally decide to fix the OL and/or improve our coaching.
        Invest in oline and Rivers will be okay. Let Gordon walk and let JJ and Ekeler be the guys. Get more speed at wide receiver and the offense will be fine.

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

there are QBs out there who dont have good Olines and still perform well. I'm OK with resigning him, but NOT ANYWHERE NEAR his current deal, and a 2yr with an out after the 1st yr if necessary. I just dont feel it anymore with rivers...not clutch enough in crunch time, plays too gunslinger, NO mobility whatsover. If they dont sign him and go with one of the top QBs then I'm absolutely fine with it.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Electric Chicken View Post
            I want something with zero miles on it,,, Phillip has over 300,000 miles ,,, time for a trade in so I can begin my next 14 years of dissapointment
            LOL...wow...could be right with our record and the Spani Hog-Tie Operandi, but hoping the new model we get is not a lemon...

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

there are QBs out there who dont have good Olines and still perform well. I'm OK with resigning him, but NOT ANYWHERE NEAR his current deal, and a 2yr with an out after the 1st yr if necessary. I just dont feel it anymore with rivers...not clutch enough in crunch time, plays too gunslinger, NO mobility whatsover. If they dont sign him and go with one of the top QBs then I'm absolutely fine with it.
              Why sign up for more disappointment and pain? Reminds me of movies like this...

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Seems the team has been moving away from bringing him back, going heavy on D in the drafts, bringing in a completely different type of QB to back him up, crossing its fingers on OL. I expect to see Tyrod as our starting QB game 1 next season, with a rookie as the #1 backup, and more mid round OL picks/bottom range FA guys. And a lot more D. Lynn/TT want Baltimore West, they may be close to creating that.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Too many varibles to figure out with TT and management.

The one known thing is the Defense is good enough to keep us in games, but we will need a run stopper on the D-line, and another CB, and Kyzir White needs to step up.

IF Rivers is back
                  How confident are you in TT & Management to get a top tier OT in the draft round 1 or in Free Agency, and draft a WR with speed.

IF Rivers isn't back
                  Who is the QB Tyrod ??? order they draft the future QB with 1st pick
                  Do they neglect the O-line again becuase now they have a mobile QB

Conclusion
                  Hard to get a read on what TT & Management in what they will do they have been hit and miss at the top of the draft (1-3) and hitting in the later rounds and undrafted FA. In Free Agency we have been more misses than hits outside of Danny Woodhead and Casey Hayward, you are looking at a lot of misses Jared Gaither Derek Cox, Jacoby Jones, and Orlando Franklin to resigning Donald Butler, and Travis Benjamin. Count me as I have no F-N clue what will happen.

If Rivers is back they dam well better be 100% on there player aqusition it will be boom or bust with Rivers and truthful I would like to see him go out with Super Bowl victory.

If River isn't back I thing expectations will be tempered.

Comment

• Silversurfer
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Los Angeles
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Silver, that is EXACTLY my concern here. Rivers plays lights out vs. one or two teams, usually with losing records, but occasionally vs. a good team. We all think, "wow, now THAT'S a HOF QB." And then he goes through terrible streaks of games like the Lions, Bears, Chiefs and Raiders. He's just too streaky, and, as I've said many times, melts down in crunch time, especially in close games. Too much promise, too many disappointments. Time to move on.

Yup, Rivers is lucky he had L.T and the rest of the team to get him it to the AFC Championship those years. Everyone acts like drafting a rookie OT will fix Rivers. Who is this one of a kind LT that's going to come in and help Rivers not make bad decisions. I'm ready to turn the page like other teams have and look to the future.

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                      Seems the team has been moving away from bringing him back, going heavy on D in the drafts, bringing in a completely different type of QB to back him up, crossing its fingers on OL. I expect to see Tyrod as our starting QB game 1 next season, with a rookie as the #1 backup, and more mid round OL picks/bottom range FA guys. And a lot more D. Lynn/TT want Baltimore West, they may be close to creating that.
                      Some of this appears to be true...... but also remember that money is also a huge factor.....
                      • if Cousins who sucks got 30+ million per year, What will it cost to sign Rivers? or to franchise Tag him for a year while a rookie observes for at least part of the year?
                      • How long do we have before we have to resign Bosa and James? Both players are special defenders who make everyone else better....
                      The factor about deciding about when to draft a new franchise QB, is PURELY if a real one is actually available....... Most drafts do not even have one....... If one does not exist or if one does and you are unable to trade for them, then it is best to build up the OL and defense in preparation for a franchise QB......

IF YOU ARE NOT SURE THAT A QB IS A CANT MISS FRANCHISE/POSSIBLE FUTURE HOF QB, THEN DO NOT DRAFT THEM OR TRADE UP FOR THEM!...dont do like cleveland and gamble on every so-so QB that comes out because you are desperate....

IF YOU ARE SURE THAT A QB LIKE BURROW IS THE REAL DEAL THEN A SMART ORGANIZATION WILL TRADE ALMOST ANYTHING TO GET HIM.....

People that say "we can always grab a future QB in 2nd or 3rd round" are clueless...... every once in awhile, teams miss out on a QB and a team drafts them in 3rd round like Wilson and he turns out pretty special, but that is extremely rare....... and guys like Wilson and Brees needed to be with the right coaches and organizations to play as well as they have.......

Question: Would Elway or Marino have sucked if they had become Chargers???? Would Eli Manning have won 2 SB's playing on Chargers???

The Chargers might win out this season and end up 8-8..... or at worst 6-10...... so we obviously will not have the number 1 pick. Since we won't, we need to hope for CINN to win enough games to not be number 1....... we need to have a team drafting at 1st pick that already has a young stud QB they love so they will be looking to trade away that first pick.

If you watch Burrow play it is clearly obvious that he is special and can do anything you might need a QB to do and he is boy far the most accurate QB in country and he throws accurately downfield to open guys or covered guys, he ,makes perfect throws even on the run....... and he has special movement skills inside or outside the pocket and has a signing quick release..... he has touch, or he can fire in a bullet between would be defenders..... and he did it against the best competition...... he is as close to can't miss as any QB since Luck, manning, or 2004 or 1983...... BEST QB ive seen in many years.......

The Chargers need to offer anything to get that pick...so we ha ve a great QB for next 15 years....... whether we sign Rivers to a 1 or 2 year deal or not....... If we draft OL instead, eventually we will have an OL but we will NEVER get a great QB that way..... we will win a few more games so our odds of getting one gets less and less....... an Elway, Marino, Manning or Burrow does not come out every year..... in fact its more like every 10 or more...... do we want to wait that long???? this future picks mean nothing if we dont have a QB.....

Dont let short term success of guys like Jackson, or others affect the decision unless you want to be looking for a new QB every few years??? after that running back/QB gets abused/injured? Most cannot operate as a pure pocket QB because they are not accurate enough and defensive schemes will catch up to them.........

Drafting an OL is still not a sure thing like it used to be years ago...... many OL are not ready for NFL b because of the schemes most colleges use today.....
                      so finding a future HOF accurate pocket QB with amazing scrambling skills is a really rare thing..... Any team getting Burrow quickly realize it was so worth giving away whatever players and picks its would take to get him.......

I see smart teams like NE, PIT, MIA ..... offering the farm to get Burrow........ Hopefully the Chargers will jump into that competition and miraculously win it.......for the future of the team......

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post

Yup, Rivers is lucky he had L.T and the rest of the team to get him it to the AFC Championship those years. Everyone acts like drafting a rookie OT will fix Rivers. Who is this one of a kind LT that's going to come in and help Rivers not make bad decisions. I'm ready to turn the page like other teams have and look to the future.
                        Yep...exactly...I go back to something I've said before--on MANY of those awful, game-changing picks Rivers has thrown up, the pass pro was either good, or at least decent. So, yes, the O line is only PART of the problem...the other problem is that Rivers just can't usually handle the pressure in crunch time in close games...

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Ontario , Canada
                          • Send PM

I hope they have learned their lesson this year to get more OL and not treat it like the last priority in the draft or FA.

More likely though they will do nothing as usual in FA and their wonder scouts will become obsessed w a rookie QB ( or RB if they let Gordon walk or both) and trade up to get him burning a #2 in the process. Then when old man Okung gets hurt next year they will go through this again and expect a different result.

Comment

Working...
                          X