• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PR#1
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...exactly...I go back to something I've said before--on MANY of those awful, game-changing picks Rivers has thrown up, the pass pro was either good, or at least decent. So, yes, the O line is only PART of the problem...the other problem is that Rivers just can't usually handle the pressure in crunch time in close games...
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

If a QB, any QB, gets his head beaten in, and he starts not to trust his oline, that QB will start developing Happy Feet.

That QB will start speeding up his progressions, start showing bad fundamentals, and start rushing his throws and getting rid of the ball before necessary and as Sam Darnold said "I'm seeing ghosts out there".

You cannot cherry pick several plays and say "Oh Rivers had good protection on that play" and ignore the other plays where he was pile driven into the turf.

This is known as the David Carr syndrome.

If we were lucky to get a QB as talented as Sam Darnold and failed to protect him to the point where he TRUSTS his OLine, then history would repeat itself.
    Last edited by PR#1; 12-09-2019, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Nah, good QBs do what they do, regardless. Rivers has vision issues some games, separate from whatever the OL is doing IMHO.

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

O line without a doubt effects a QB's play.Goes hand in hand.Rivers doesn't need a top 3 o line (which tommyjohn are way too inadequate to produce,hence my disgust with em)but he does need a good one to perform at his best.This team has and has had a HOF QB for a long time and have not been capable of giving him what he needs to win.It is Their fault and Their shortcoming.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          Nah, good QBs do what they do, regardless. Rivers has vision issues some games, separate from whatever the OL is doing IMHO.
          Like Russell Wilson last night. Oh wait...

Comment

• Kingcrimson
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

My biggest problem with Rivers is his inconsistency. What could have been last year if he didn’t have a terrible game vs. DEN and BAL in the reg season. The AFC would have gone through a soccer stadium lol.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

its unrealistic to think about this imaginary discount Rivers is supposed to take to come back on a 2 year deal. I don’t know where this is coming from.
              fact is that resigning Rivers to ANY contract is going to cost significant money and cap. we are thus handcuffing ourselves financially because we’re afraid of the post Rivers era. Imo that’s the classic SD Chargers mentality, playing it safe to avoid being horrible. I’m reading words like “okay” and “fine” to describe what Rivers will be “if” we get him more protection. Well I don’t want to be either “okay” or “fine” I want to be dominating, and I’m willing to risk being horrible to get there. We need to take more chances and it starts with saying “thank you, but no thank you” to Rivers. I believe Telesco is prepared to do so which is a big reason I still support him.
              another unrealistic thing is to magically go from one of the worst Olines to a top 5? Oline? Ridiculously unrealistic to think that’s happening any time soon especially considering the overall shortage of quality linemen. You think finding a decent qb is hard? Try finding an OT that can consistently neutralize these monsters at DE, and then try finding 2!
              I think it’s much more realistic to accept the fact that it’s going to be a process and find a qb that can mitigate with mobility and a quick release. Moving towards an RPO offense should also help. Our Oline scheme also helps in that we’re not having to find unicorn 330lb lineman with dancing feet. We need tough SOBs that can learn and move.
              we need less emotional attachments to our HOF guys we love and more of a realistic approach
              P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
              P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
              P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
              P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Seems like they can do any number of things.
                And it likely depends on free agency & draft order and what Rivers wants to do.

Mid March they can start signing some free agents.

If they sign free agent lineman like Scherff.
                If they extend Okung & Pouncey before the draft.
                If they bring back Rivers on a 1 year deal.
                Then I think it makes it extremely likely they go after a QB in the draft in rd 1.

If they don't make any free agency moves to add to the line but address other areas. And they give Rivers 2 or 3 year deal. Then I think it's very unlikely they draft a QB in rd 1.

If Rivers retires.
                Then don't they have to make a move for a QB.

Late April is the draft.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  its unrealistic to think about this imaginary discount Rivers is supposed to take to come back on a 2 year deal. I don’t know where this is coming from.
                  fact is that resigning Rivers to ANY contract is going to cost significant money and cap. we are thus handcuffing ourselves financially because we’re afraid of the post Rivers era. Imo that’s the classic SD Chargers mentality, playing it safe to avoid being horrible. I’m reading words like “okay” and “fine” to describe what Rivers will be “if” we get him more protection. Well I don’t want to be either “okay” or “fine” I want to be dominating, and I’m willing to risk being horrible to get there. We need to take more chances and it starts with saying “thank you, but no thank you” to Rivers. I believe Telesco is prepared to do so which is a big reason I still support him.
                  another unrealistic thing is to magically go from one of the worst Olines to a top 5? Oline? Ridiculously unrealistic to think that’s happening any time soon especially considering the overall shortage of quality linemen. You think finding a decent qb is hard? Try finding an OT that can consistently neutralize these monsters at DE, and then try finding 2!
                  I think it’s much more realistic to accept the fact that it’s going to be a process and find a qb that can mitigate with mobility and a quick release. Moving towards an RPO offense should also help. Our Oline scheme also helps in that we’re not having to find unicorn 330lb lineman with dancing feet. We need tough SOBs that can learn and move.
                  we need less emotional attachments to our HOF guys we love and more of a realistic approach
                  This, thank you.

Comment

• Budsman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    We have 3 more games before we have to decide anything. If he plays like he did today, I'm guessing he is back for a year or two. If he plays like he did in the previous 3 games, maybe not.
                    What you mean better than most quarterbacks would have in this offense with that line for the last three games? He will definitely do that.

Charger fans are so spoiled, I can’t wait until these whining fans get a rookie who actually loses games. Mass hysteria.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

What you mean better than most quarterbacks would have in this offense with that line for the last three games? He will definitely do that.

Charger fans are so spoiled, I can’t wait until these whining fans get a rookie who actually loses games. Mass hysteria.
                      Charger fans are spoiled?!!
                      Must be all those shiny rings and trophies that make us fanatics so spoiled.

And you can wait until we are disappointed in a rookie QB who actually loses game. Wow. Thats what you can't wait for?! So you would rather have 10 years of no AFC West titles with this QB again and again.

WTF are you smoking. I want some.

Comment

• Budsman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Charger fans are spoiled?!!
                        Must be all those shiny rings and trophies that make us fanatics so spoiled.

And you can wait until we are disappointed in a rookie QB who actually loses game. Wow. Thats what you can't wait for?! So you would rather have 10 years of no AFC West titles with this QB again and again.

WTF are you smoking. I want some.
                        Yup, you’re obviously spoiled if you think most teams are used to having an 8 time pro bowl 13 year iron man quarterback.

Im sure every team just scoffs at having a quarterback that has thrown for 58000 yards and 394 touchdowns all for THEIR team. If you believe that your not smoking something you’re just nuts.

You have bought the coolaid if you think Rivers was the reason we didn’t win those titles. It’s fine I’m sure you think you’re doing what’s right but then again so did every other loon out there.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Yup, you’re obviously spoiled if you think most teams are used to having an 8 time pro bowl 13 year iron man quarterback.

Im sure every team just scoffs at having a quarterback that has thrown for 58000 yards and 394 touchdowns all for THEIR team. If you believe that your not smoking something you’re just nuts.

You have bought the coolaid if you think Rivers was the reason we didn’t win those titles. It’s fine I’m sure you think you’re doing what’s right but then again so did every other loon out there.
                          If your satisfied with yards and longevity.
                          Thats fine. If you want to keep yards and longevity at age 38. Thats fine too.

Ive posted many times I thought Rivers was let down by poor special team during his career. I posted he played at MVP level in 2009.

And I also posted that sometimes he got in his own way, and its time to move on. Go get the QB for the next decade.

You are a biased PR homer. And would rather the team continue to do same thing for the 11th time in a row. And make every excuse in the book for PR not making enough of a difference to get another win here and there to win the AFC West.

I want the Chargers to succeed even if that mesns moving on from a 38 year old 8 time pro bowl iron man QB.

I also want my franchise QB to find a way to win the division and not have 10 years in a row like a Philip Rivers lead team has.

Im drinking from a cup of half water and half possibilities.

Your cup of drink is seen though rose colored PR glasses and you think its coolaid. But there is nothing sweet happening and there are no AFC West titles and no rings. You get stats.

Philip Rivers has had a great NFL career. His resume is what it is. He is not 1st ballot hall of fame. But he ia certainly hall of fame consideration on later ballot.
                          It is not easy to do what he does.

Maybe I'm a blind Charger fan myself. I actually think theres still promise after Rivers. That there could be a very interesting and exciting next chapter. I can't wait to see it. IMO the Rivers chapter is over.

Your loyalty can give you more stats and more no AFC West titles for 10 plus years and more no rings.

Go ahead and call me nuts and a loon for wanting more than that. Go ahead and call me spoiled for not being satisfied with stats. I want the ring! which is why I promote being agressive to get the #1 pick in the 2020 draft.

Getting Burrow. It doesn't guarantee anything, but I already 100% know what I'm getting from Phil. Slow starts golly gee. Some great throws and some wtf throws. And not beating the Chief and Andy Reid.
                          And not winning the AFC West.

#spoilednutloon

Comment

Working...
                          X