• Show
Clear All
  • DontEverGiveUp
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by onthefence View Post
    This 100x!!

You will never get the die hard PR fans to admit his time is up. This o-line is averaging 4.1 yards per rushing attempt and has only allowed 27 sacs. Only nine more than the league low. Yes this franchise has had some absolutely horrible o-lines but they have also had some great ones with PR. This o-line is not the red headed step child that everyone seems to think it is. Is it great? Of course not but far from the garbage everyone wants to think they are.
    This OL ranked 31st last season, then lost its best 3 players to injury this season. GTFO with that nonsense.

Comment

• PMR9FAN
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DontEverGiveUp View Post

This OL ranked 31st last season, then lost its best 3 players to injury this season. GTFO with that nonsense.
      The line sucks, agreed. How do you know the specific ranking?

I wonder how they rank them. Pass protection is a lot different skill set than run blocking. All sacks are not on the oline either ... could be a coverage sack or QB holding it too long.

Seems like pass protection quality could be measured by the average time to throw. I wonder if anyone keeps this data.

Comment

• foreigner
        Tom Telesco is gone
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

Eli looked very good last night, IMHO.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Tijuana
          • Send PM

If they don't resign Rivers are you guys comfortable with drafting Tua or Herbert (Burrows won't be there at 10) if they are available? or going with Tyrod and Stick and drafting OL?

I say resign Philip (at a reasonable contract) AND draft Herbert then OL in round 2 and 3 (plus a FA or two for the OL), also, extend Ekler and let Gordon go

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
            If they don't resign Rivers are you guys comfortable with drafting Tua or Herbert (Burrows won't be there at 10) if they are available? or going with Tyrod and Stick and drafting OL?

I say resign Philip (at a reasonable contract) AND draft Herbert then OL in round 2 and 3 (plus a FA or two for the OL), also, extend Ekler and let Gordon go
            No thanks on Tua, a broken china doll that we try to elmers glue back together and hope he lasts a week or two before shattering again?

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Daniel Popper was asked several questions about Rivers future and he basically said he expects Rivers to be our starting QB next season and that we won't spend a first round draft pick on a QB, but will wait until 2021 to draft his replacement. He also said that how he plays the last 3 games will not factor into the decision to bring him back or not. Take that for what it is worth from a guy covering the team for The Athletic.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  Daniel Popper was asked several questions about Rivers future and he basically said he expects Rivers to be our starting QB next season and that we won't spend a first round draft pick on a QB, but will wait until 2021 to draft his replacement. He also said that how he plays the last 3 games will not factor into the decision to bring him back or not. Take that for what it is worth from a guy covering the team for The Athletic.
                  Our remaing games are basically scrimmages. We will not be in the playoffs, W or L.

Comment

• Midwestbolt
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Midwest
                    • Local 150 operating engineer.
                    • Send PM

This 100x!!

You will never get the die hard PR fans to admit his time is up. This o-line is averaging 4.1 yards per rushing attempt and has only allowed 27 sacs. Only nine more than the league low. Yes this franchise has had some absolutely horrible o-lines but they have also had some great ones with PR. This o-line is not the red headed step child that everyone seems to think it is. Is it great? Of course not but far from the garbage everyone wants to think they are.
                    The Chargers' offensive line improvement has been vastly overblown. They still employ the lowest-graded guard and lowest tackle in pass protection this season. Left guard Dan Feeney has allowed eight sacks and eight more hits, while right tackle Sam Tevi has given up eight sacks and 12 hits. -PFF. 2018 final oline grades. 30 out of 32.

​​​​​​

The Chargers’ highest-graded offensive lineman, veteran guard Michael Schofield III, has earned just a 63.9 overall grade across 509 offensive snaps this season. Trent Scott and Sam Tevi have been disastrous in pass protection, as has center Mike Pouncey. Scott enters Week 9 ranked inside the bottom-six in pressure percentage allowed at 10.46%. Los Angeles is fortunate they’re getting Russell Okung back from injury, but he won’t solve all of their problems in the trenches. - PFF oline grades after week 8, 2019. 29 out 32.

I don't pretend to know the in's and outs of whatever formula PFF uses, by any means or stretch of the imagination. But it's a baseline. A reference or starting point. This one says the oline has been hot garbage. For two years. So say that it's PR and not the oline, whose woes are exaggerated and they're not garbage...because they have the 21st ranked rushing average? How about hits? The line is 17th in QB hits allowed currently.

IDK how much faith to put into PFF rankings and grades, but the eyeball test says they aren't in left field. This may have not been the worst oline in PR's career here, but far, far from the best.

Put the above together with gimped and/or injured receivers at the start of the year, loosing the starting LT (then the starting C), #1 RB holding out - you have a perfect storm. I'm a Rivers fan and I know he's very near the point he should hang it up. I'm ok with moving on from him if the opportunity is there. But plenty of blame to go around. including the Oline.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

Hopefully we go with BPA on OL or D with our high-to-mid RD1 pick.
                      If somebody like Tua is falling to late in RD1 I'd be fine with trading back into the end of RD1 again to get him. That way he can sit a year behind Rivers, Tyrod, Stick or whoever for a year.

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Ideally.
                        The line gets healthy.
                        They add a solid FA to the line.
                        They add speed FA WR to the group.
                        They make a move for a QB in the draft.
                        And they bring back Rivers for another season.

Im just not wanting them to build around Rivers for the future. And I dont think you can count on the o line to be healthy all year and being a top 5 unit. I also dont like that we have limitations in redzone and short yardage because there is no threat of mobility by the QB. It limits the playbook.

I think we need a future franchise QB who plays great in the pocket but also can buy time and make off schedule plays with mobility.

I think its a false narrative to blame everyone but Rivers for lack of AFC West titles for 10 seasons in a row. I think he should as franchise QB and leader get his fair share of the blame.

It is better to make moves 1 year early than 1 year late. I think we may be getting close to 1 year too late if we keep riding the Rivers Family Van.
                        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

This 100x!!

27 sacks but probably twice the pressures. He doesn't need to get sacked to warrant a bad OL. He is pressured a lot every game and gets hit a lot.

The long TD to Ekeler he had a guy in his face nearly immediately and barely got it off.

Sorry, this OL is terrible.
                          Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-10-2019, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X