• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The Fangio system that Staley used was done and dusted on the very first play of the 2023 season when Kahlil Mack was supposed to cover Tyreek Hill.
    Thats a great point. And offenses evolve and defenses evolve but I know historically if you have a stout front 7 that can consistently stop the run and hit the QB and lastly, get off the field on 3rd down - thats the kind of defense

I have no idea the "name" of the Chargers with Jamal Junior and Rodney - but it got off the field on 3rd downs!

Thats what I want

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

From the reading I have done, McDonald did not really have "a system" but rather used a variety of fronts and coverages depending on the strength of the players the team had at Michigan. Minter, when he replaced him, did the same thing but according to players made it better. They also said he related to them a lot better and connected with them better. So they would move between 3-4 and 4-3, man over and under, 5 man fronts, nickle, etc. They don't have a scheme that they predicate it all on like Fangio or Staley with the two deep S and light boxes. Would seem like it might be hard on the GM ("what kind of players do you want?" "It depends") or maybe make it easy ("Just get me good football players and I will design to what they are good at")

Minter supposedly was a tremendous DB coach and part of why Martindale was less successful his last year with pass defense is because of Minter leaving.

FWIW I read some breakdowns of Staley's defense last year from one of those guys who really digs in and shows pictures, etc and Staley really did try to adjust and change the defense this past season. The problem is he did it too much, too fast, and apparently without any consideration of what his players could be successful doing. So kind of reinforces he is smart and all but maybe too smart to see what is right in front of his face.
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

FWIW I read some breakdowns of Staley's defense last year from one of those guys who really digs in and shows pictures, etc and Staley really did try to adjust and change the defense this past season. The problem is he did it too much, too fast, and apparently without any consideration of what his players could be successful doing. So kind of reinforces he is smart and all but maybe too smart to see what is right in front of his face.
        That is a certain kind of rigidity/lack of flexibility that Staley had. He viewed it as 'confidence' and 'belief'. You can believe in a system all you want, but without the players who have the skills to execute it, it's just a Beauty Pageant with really ugly contestants.

Comment

• Fleet 1
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Kauai
          • Send PM

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Thats a great point. And offenses evolve and defenses evolve but I know historically if you have a stout front 7 that can consistently stop the run and hit the QB and lastly, get off the field on 3rd down - thats the kind of defense

I have no idea the "name" of the Chargers with Jamal Junior and Rodney - but it got off the field on 3rd downs!

Thats what I want
            Systems come and systems go . . . . . . . . .there's always a new flavor of the month. A good system (tailored to fit the personnel) CAN enhance performance and mitigate a lack of talent, but if you don't have the horses eventually that comes home to roost. Win in the trenches - the basics of football never change.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
              Hopefully our new GM will be smart enough to make lemonade when life gifts him lemons . . . . . . .

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QuiteFrankly
                I seriously never thought the Bill Belichick would be in doubt of landing a job this year...wow....some dumb clubs out there....or is something going on nobody knows? Just weird...He is the goat. Biden complex.
                I heard an interesting theory on a sports radio.

There are a lot of older owners who really respect Don Shula and the theory is the old owners don't want Belichick to break that record with their team.

Idk about that and I don't care. You win 6 SBs whether or not it's because you had Bradys that's still damn impressive.

BB is a good defensive coach who had the right QB. The Bills got there 4 times in a row and lost all 4 with Jim Kelly.

Mac Jones is a bitch and sounds like his teammates don't care much for him.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                  From the reading I have done, McDonald did not really have "a system" but rather used a variety of fronts and coverages depending on the strength of the players the team had at Michigan. Minter, when he replaced him, did the same thing but according to players made it better. They also said he related to them a lot better and connected with them better. So they would move between 3-4 and 4-3, man over and under, 5 man fronts, nickle, etc. They don't have a scheme that they predicate it all on like Fangio or Staley with the two deep S and light boxes. Would seem like it might be hard on the GM ("what kind of players do you want?" "It depends") or maybe make it easy ("Just get me good football players and I will design to what they are good at")

Minter supposedly was a tremendous DB coach and part of why Martindale was less successful his last year with pass defense is because of Minter leaving.

Both McDonald and Minter came up through the Ravens D. That D has a lot of influences, but it has been amazingly consistent over the years. They have some down years, but a big part of that is when they get decimated by injuries. If they are healthy, they are usually pretty good ... even in years when they lose multiple key pieces in FA and have to retool fast.

The thing you can count on the Ravens D being is fundamentally sound, physical and assignment sound. They are all-day suckers... if you are going to beat them, you better play hard for 60 minutes. That alone will be refreshing. It may take them a year to get enough pieces to be a really good D, but we should be middle of the pack (or better) immediately.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by QuiteFrankly
                    I seriously never thought the Bill Belichick would be in doubt of landing a job this year...wow....some dumb clubs out there....or is something going on nobody knows? Just weird...He is the goat. Biden complex.
                    One thing I heard is that Belly is old school, and that Antonio Pierce and Demeco Ryans better speak to the new generation of players.

However, I remember it being said 25 years ago that many thought Belichick lacked the personality to be a head coach,

Another thing is that Belly would shake up the organization that hires him, and there are those well ensconced within NFL organizations who would resent this.
                    Just look at the Falcons.

Also, he's old, and comes off two losing seasons. Many here pointed this out.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Enough with the non-football politics.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                        Enough with the non-football politics.
                        I think you’re competitive. No outlaws are getting past my sheriff!
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

News on a former Charger:

Comment

Working...
                          X