• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

That's your opinion.

I agree with the vast majority of Charger fans that see Rivers as a great guy and QB that gave this franchise his all. If they had ever given him a decent OL and Defense, he had what it takes to win the big games.
    Roo, I'll give u this...in 2006-7 season, the Bolts DID have a decent O-line that included Hardwick, Dielman and McNeill, and a very good defense including Merriman, Jamal Williams, Jammer, Cro, Donnie Edwards, Shaun Phillips...what a team...in the divisional playoff game vs. the Cheatriots, Rivers did give it all in that game--drove them to a lead late in that game, but it was that Marlon McCree fumble that sealed the Bolts's doom...along with the Kaeding figgie miss...they came so, so close...

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

The 14-2 season was their season.
      Easy to imagine what would have happened
      If McCree don't try to play the hero.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Oh come on, Roo...u know it's true...look, I really enjoyed watching PR in his golden years...so many great games...but it was just so frustrating watching the Bolts get so close to making a SB run, only to watch Riverboat Rivers the Gamblin' Gunslinger force the rock into coverage for another pick...again...and again...and...again...on the bright side, Heroic Herbie seems to be cool under pressure...
        I’m not sure why you got it in for philip, maybe he didn’t sign an autograph once? I think it speaks to how much charger fans have come to take for granted considering how blessed the franchise has been with Star quarterbacks over the years. Some teams have never even had a stan humphries, let alone a dan fouts, drew brees, philip rivers, or justin herbert. IDK, but you really should look at philip’s body of work. He’s easily a top 7-8 NFL QB ALL-TIME and just to make my point and as someone who grew up idolizing Dan Fouts but dealt with his inefficiency as Dan threw TONS of interceptions, I’m going to leave you with a few numbers here to just look them over a bit. Keep in mind Fouts is in the HOF.

philip posted a winning career record as a QB, in 240 starts he won 134 and lost 106 and a lot of those years were years without much OL, no tomlinson, and a few without gates too, both guys had a HOF TE winslow and gates but fouts arguably had better WRs during his career. Still, PR threw 1.75 toudowns per start to .87 interceptions per start against defenses designed to stop the pass. Fouts threw 1.48 TDs per start and 1.42 interceptions per start but played mostly against defenses designed to stop the run.

just for comparisons the HOF dan fouts went 86-84-1 as a starter, still a winner but by just a hair both QBs had 4 losing seasons out of 15 year careers which is misleading because fouts missed a bunch of games in losing seasons for the team were those losses didn’t count against him otherwise he’d have an additional 4-5 losing seasons on his resume

philip threw 15 or more picks 6/15 years as a starter and his career high was 21 picks. fouts threw 15 or more picks 10/15 years with a high of 24 picks which he did twice in his career. He also came close to 15 picks another 2-3 times with 13-14 picks.

philip completed 64.9% of his passes for his CAREER, fouts did 58.8%, just to put this into perspective during fouts BEST year he completed 63.3% of his passes. Both had similar yards per pass, fouts has the reputation of throwing deep well PR beat him there too, PR did 7.8 yards a pass while fouts did 7.7avg

his best season phiip threw for 34 TDs Fouts for 33TDs, but philip eclipsed 30 plus TDs SIX times and fouts only twice. Philip also had a bunch of season with 27, 28, 26 etc..TDs

in a season that was 2 games longer than 5-6 of the seasons fouts played in. Rivers stil averaged 13.6 interceptions a season compared to fouts averaging 16.2 interceptions per year as a 14 year starter while playing 2 fewer games per season in the his first 5-6 seasons as a starter.
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

I think guys remember his latter years more than his full career. He did grow more desperate as Father Time ticked along and he saw the writing on the wall that two shit QBs from his draft class both lucked into rings while he had a much better personal career but never got it himself. The offensive line grew worse and worse, talent decreased all around him, and he grew more reckless. But he had many more great seasons before that and the team did not rise up with him.

On the other hand - His stats in playoffs speak for themselves:

QB Rating
          Career: 95
          Playoffs: 85
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I’m not sure why you got it in for philip, maybe he didn’t sign an autograph once? I think it speaks to how much charger fans have come to take for granted considering how blessed the franchise has been with Star quarterbacks over the years. Some teams have never even had a stan humphries, let alone a dan fouts, drew brees, philip rivers, or justin herbert. IDK, but you really should look at philip’s body of work. He’s easily a top 7-8 NFL QB ALL-TIME and just to make my point and as someone who grew up idolizing Dan Fouts but dealt with his inefficiency as Dan threw TONS of interceptions, I’m going to leave you with a few numbers here to just look them over a bit. Keep in mind Fouts is in the HOF.

philip posted a winning career record as a QB, in 240 starts he won 134 and lost 106 and a lot of those years were years without much OL, no tomlinson, and a few without gates too, both guys had a HOF TE winslow and gates but fouts arguably had better WRs during his career. Still, PR threw 1.75 toudowns per start to .87 interceptions per start against defenses designed to stop the pass. Fouts threw 1.48 TDs per start and 1.42 interceptions per start but played mostly against defenses designed to stop the run.

just for comparisons the HOF dan fouts went 86-84-1 as a starter, still a winner but by just a hair both QBs had 4 losing seasons out of 15 year careers which is misleading because fouts missed a bunch of games in losing seasons for the team were those losses didn’t count against him otherwise he’d have an additional 4-5 losing seasons on his resume

philip threw 15 or more picks 6/15 years as a starter and his career high was 21 picks. fouts threw 15 or more picks 10/15 years with a high of 24 picks which he did twice in his career. He also came close to 15 picks another 2-3 times with 13-14 picks.

philip completed 64.9% of his passes for his CAREER, fouts did 58.8%, just to put this into perspective during fouts BEST year he completed 63.3% of his passes. Both had similar yards per pass, fouts has the reputation of throwing deep well PR beat him there too, PR did 7.8 yards a pass while fouts did 7.7avg

his best season phiip threw for 34 TDs Fouts for 33TDs, but philip eclipsed 30 plus TDs SIX times and fouts only twice. Philip also had a bunch of season with 27, 28, 26 etc..TDs

in a season that was 2 games longer than 5-6 of the seasons fouts played in. Rivers stil averaged 13.6 interceptions a season compared to fouts averaging 16.2 interceptions per year as a 14 year starter while playing 2 fewer games per season in the his first 5-6 seasons as a starter.
            Philips was a better pure QB than Fouts, jmo. But one of my then-senior managers bought me a MFIC hat a few years ago and we know who that was.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
              I think guys remember his latter years more than his full career. He did grow more desperate as Father Time ticked along and he saw the writing on the wall that two shit QBs from his draft class both lucked into rings while he had a much better personal career but never got it himself. The offensive line grew worse and worse, talent decreased all around him, and he grew more reckless. But he had many more great seasons before that and the team did not rise up with him.

QB Rating
              ^ This. I loved watching PR when he was on (usually in regular season). But, as u mention, in the playoffs and in later years he tended to panic in crunch time, and the stats do indicate this. I do think Phil had a legit shot at the SB in 2006-7 had it not been for some crucial errors by some of his teammates in that Pats game, especially that McCree fumble...

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                in the
                ^ This. I loved watching PR when he was on (usually in regular season). But, as u mention, in the playoffs and in later years he tended to panic in crunch time, and the stats do indicate this. I do think Phil had a legit shot at the SB in 2006-7 had it not been for some crucial errors by some of his teammates in that Pats game, especially that McCree fumble...
                PR probably threw less interceptions per playoff game than Tom Brady:

two against New England (two separate games), two against the Jets,.........I think that is it: zero for and against the colts.

Brady threw at least 4 interceptions in the those Charger games.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

The defense gave away many of those 106 loses in the last 2 minutes after he gave us a lead and TC always complains when he doesnt lead us on a winning drive when he is left with 50 seconds left and has to go 80 yards lol. So thats why he throws long passes to get a PI. But he dont get that. Yes Rivers has also made bad decisions.....i acknowledge that.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                    The 14-2 season was their season.
                    Easy to imagine what would have happened
                    If McCree don't try to play the hero.
                    Rivers first season as a starter. Hard to win it all with basically a rookie QB. Eric Parker let us down in that game

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

QB Rating
                      Fouts has a QR of 80.2 in season
                      70 in playoffs

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Rivers first season as a starter. Hard to win it all with basically a rookie QB. Eric Parker let us down in that game
                        There were about a half dozen game changing mistakes on defense and STs that kept us out of a W. Parker's punt fumble among them.
                        Rivers had a clean game and should have won.
                        After that who knows? NE lost to Colts, Colts beat Bears in SB.
                        We were in the SB ballpark talent wise. Stupid mistakes prevented our finding out.
                        Staley & co are teaching details. If we get there, hopefully everyone has their minds right.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Fouts has a QR of 80.2 in season
                          70 in playoffs
                          Not too many weak D's in playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                          X