• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

The Panthers also parted with a member of their 2021 draft class, waiving former Alabama offensive lineman Deonte Brown, whose conditioning was an issue at times.
    This is crazy, but do Alabama OL have problems in the NFL? They're so good in college.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

amazing how many of those Bama OL do not work out in NFL, vs the success of WR's & RB's ....

question though is Leatherwood better than our RT's????
      He/s not even better than our backup.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Leatherwood has the worst hand placement of a 1st round OL I have ever seen. For a guy who tries to play the game without moving his feet, he is really, really bad at it.

He has some juice in his feet (or did in college), but he has long stretches where he doesn't like to move them. He moves well in space if you want him to lead a play, but as soon as someone bumps him he tries to lean on them and he gets his body in such horrible position he falls on his face. He does a horrible job of moving his feet after contact and just likes to lean on guys, instead of work to get position and control them. NFL DL and LB eat him alive because he is out of position initially, and he doesn't do much to improve his position. He reminds me a lot of Fluker, because while he has long arms and some footwork, he does everything possible to win/lose the snap at the line, and most of the time he can't recover.

The best thing possible would be for him to sit out the year and find someone to teach him about leverage and angles, and get the idea that he can win plays at the line out of his skull.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

This is crazy, but do Alabama OL have problems in the NFL? They're so good in college.
          THey are way better than 90% of the players they face in college, so their flaws get covered up. When they do face good players, Alabama runs a lot of zone stuff, so they can help each other and get a lot of double teams.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Reframing this question....Do Alabama offensive lineman tend to be over-drafted at the pro level - despite their pro projections - solely due to the brand of the Crimson Tide program?

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Alabama has a pro bowl OL in terms of human material, with a D that can keep them in a lot of games and not make them throw a bunch except off of play-action. I don't think their guys get exposed that much, and every fair-weather fan who evaluates your draft will give you a good grade for a guy who dominates in college like the Alabama guys do against their competition. Yeah, I think they do tend to be somewhat overrated. THey are good players, with a lot of upside.

It also helps them that they play in one of the few pro-style offenses, and there is a lack of really complete college OL. Plenty of guys if you are willing to project, but the Alabama OL use NFL sets and plays, so you don't have to project so much, and that is comforting for a lot of teams.

I don't think it helps some of these guys that they are extremely good athletes and when they get to the NFL they have to develop technique to become great players. OL play is very unforgiving for guys who have poor technique.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

O.J. Howard landing in Cincinatti.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Reframing this question....Do Alabama offensive lineman tend to be over-drafted at the pro level - despite their pro projections - solely due to the brand of the Crimson Tide program?
                  Sure they do, it’s a fraternity. Saban players are polished, well coached and prepared for the NFL but you better have good relations with Nick to get in depth background of his players.

So is Kirby Smart and there is a strong connection between him and Staley that’s built on common ground and trust. Big reason Chargers pulled trigger on Jamaree Salyer.

Comment

• Duck of Death
                    Social Piranha
                    • May 2022
                    • Flyover, USA
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Ferrell a terrible pick also, suppose we will never know if Mayock made the calls or Gruden?
                    That’s the strange thing. Mayock was a pretty well respected draft guru prior to joining the Raiders. I recall eagerly awaiting his analysis & predictions every year. But every year without fail, the Raider’s 1st pick would raise eyebrows - like WTF did they just do?? Although I guess that’s been the case for some time now, so maybe it’s just Mark Davis.

That said, I don’t think anyone would’ve guessed that Leatherwood would bust so completely. Sure he had some red flags, but we’re also talking about an Outland Trophy winner. 1st round was definitely too rich, but I think few would’ve second guessed it if he had gone 2nd round.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

That’s the strange thing. Mayock was a pretty well respected draft guru prior to joining the Raiders. I recall eagerly awaiting his analysis & predictions every year. But every year without fail, the Raider’s 1st pick would raise eyebrows - like WTF did they just do?? Although I guess that’s been the case for some time now, so maybe it’s just Mark Davis.

That said, I don’t think anyone would’ve guessed that Leatherwood would bust so completely. Sure he had some red flags, but we’re also talking about an Outland Trophy winner. 1st round was definitely too rich, but I think few would’ve second guessed it if he had gone 2nd round.
                      His collapse is pretty surprising. I wasn't as high on him coming out but to think they have given up on him after one year is pretty mind boggling - like there is not chance he'll improve.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Chris Samuels, John Hannah, & Dwight Stephenson would say armchair Alabama OL analysts are full of chit.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Irmo, SC
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

His collapse is pretty surprising. I wasn't as high on him coming out but to think they have given up on him after one year is pretty mind boggling - like there is not chance he'll improve.
                          Da Bears are giving him a shot. Maybe getting cut lights a fire under him.

Comment

Working...
                          X