• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I have to think that Lemonier is-- at best-- practice squad material.

Staley may be great at "identifying what players do best, and putting them in the position to do THOSE things"...

But this is *not* the Island of Lost Toys, where guys who've been non-factors are, en masse, transformed into factors. We *might* be lucky enough to have two or three guys who's play is seriously elevated by Staley's schemes. But the number isn't going to be 15 or 20.
    It'll be 53. Playing in a better scheme that elevates offense- defense- special teams in a collective effort benefits all players. We lost 9 games last year. We can say Herbert or Keenan were great last year - but they still lost 9 games. Individual stats are nice, but winning is better.

Re "Lost Toys", whatever.
    The depth being decent #2-3's, etc works for me. They don't have to put up HOF stats, although, admittedly, it would be nice.

Edge players-
    I have Bosa, Nwosu - Starters.
    Fackrell, Rumph - depth / rotation
    Gaziano, Egbule, Lemonier, Oggie - cuts / prac squad / maybe a #5.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

It'll be 53. Playing in a better scheme that elevates offense- defense- special teams in a collective effort benefits all players. We lost 9 games last year. We can say Herbert or Keenan were great last year - but they still lost 9 games. Individual stats are nice, but winning is better.
      I hear ya, at least in theory. But I don't look at the Rams' 2020 defense and see 24 guys who were better than before Staley got there. Leonard Floyd had a career year, but... Aaron Donald actually had a better year in 2019.

The Chargers are, IMO, still very much a work in progress. I do *not* see unmitigated free sailing in the Bolts' immediate future, not by a long shot.
      Last edited by Ghost of Quacksaw; 07-22-2021, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

I have to think that Lemonier is-- at best-- practice squad material.

Staley may be great at "identifying what players do best, and putting them in the position to do THOSE things"...

But this is *not* the Island of Lost Toys, where guys who've been non-factors are, en masse, transformed into factors. We *might* be lucky enough to have two or three guys who's play is seriously elevated by Staley's schemes. But the number isn't going to be 15 or 20.
        elevating the play of 20 guys on defense would be a heck of a trick
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

I hear ya, at least in theory. But I don't look at the Rams' 2020 defense and see 24 guys who were better than before Staley got there. Leonard Floyd had a career year, but... Aaron Donald actually had a better year in 2019.

The Chargers are, IMO, still very much a work in progress. I do *not* see unmitigated free sailing in the Bolts' future in the immediate future, not by a long shot.
          Unmitigated free sailing? DESCANSO, EYE CAN’T HEAR YOU!
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Jerry Jones: I 'would do anything' to get Cowboys back into a Super Bowl
            My kind of owner. Even with all the other BS he does.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

My kind of owner. Even with all the other BS he does.
              He lies though.
              His best option is to let professional football people make personnel decisions and Jerry certainly won’t do that.
              Jerry’s just a wealthier, louder, marketing genius version of the Spani. Their families are both too involved in all day-to-day operations.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

He lies though.
                His best option is to let professional football people make personnel decisions and Jerry certainly won’t do that.
                Jerry’s just a wealthier, louder, marketing genius version of the Spani. Their families are both too involved in all day-to-day operations.
                I would do anything [to win], but I won't do that.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Re "Lost Toys", whatever.
                  The depth being decent #2-3's, etc works for me. They don't have to put up HOF stats, although, admittedly, it would be nice.

Edge players-
                  I have Bosa, Nwosu - Starters.
                  Fackrell, Rumph - depth / rotation
                  Gaziano, Egbule, Lemonier, Oggie - cuts / prac squad / maybe a #5.
                  ^ This. As President Reagan said, "a rising tide lifts all boats." Staley is our rising tide...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Unmitigated free sailing? DESCANSO, EYE CAN’T HEAR YOU!
                    I'm Lee 'Hacksaw' Hamilton, and for the next three-and-a-half seconds, EYE want to have SEX with EWE!

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

The Chargers are, IMO, still very much a work in progress. I do *not* see unmitigated free sailing in the Bolts' future in the immediate future, not by a long shot.
                      We're talking personal stats vs team results, playoff appearance vs SB win it would seem.
                      I agree that it's unlikely that we go undefeated in 2021 and that there is work to be done, as always.
                      We are set up to be competitive with realistic playoff chances, "IF" reasonably healthy,"IF" the OL plays avg or better, say 10th-5th best instead of 32nd, "IF" Staley IS a bright, competent Head Coach , etc.
                      That isn't just wishful thinking, but... Nothing is guaranteed. Still gotta play 'em.

ps: Staley took over Wade Phillips LAR defense (364 pts allowed) and the team D got better, giving up league fewest points allowed.(296)
                      Last edited by sonorajim; 07-21-2021, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

We're talking personal stats vs team results, playoff appearance vs SB win it would seem.
                        I agree that it's unlikely that we go undefeated in 2021 and that there is work to be done, as always.
                        We are set up to be competitive with realistic playoff chances, "IF" reasonably healthy,"IF" the OL plays avg or better, say 10th-5th best instead of 32nd, "IF" Staley IS a bright, competent Head Coach , etc.
                        That isn't just wishful thinking, but... Nothing is guaranteed. Still gotta play 'em.
                        I've projected that the Bolts' ceiling for 2021 is a playoff (most likely Wild Card) win. Anything beyond *that* would be a pleasant surprise, for *me*, anyways...

But the Chargers will have to do a lot of things well just to reach that sub-optimal goal of washing out after a first round playoff win.

As always, key players have to stay healthy. But beyond that, we have to see evidence that the new additions (Feiler, Linsley, Aboushi) are, in fact, better contributors than the guys they replaced (Feeney, Lamp, Tevi). We can't *know* for a while to come whether Telesco made the correct judgments with Rashawn Slater and Brandon Jaimes.

Do we trust that Staley knows what he's doing to any greater degree than we trusted that Mike McCoy or Anthony Lynn knew, upon their hirings, what *they* were doing?!? Staley has built some cred. Then again, Lynn and McCoy had built their own cred when *they* were hired.

Should we, as fans, trust that the Chargers organization has *FINALLY* gotten it right with the hiring of Staley? Mike Riley, Kevin Gilbride, Dan Henning and Al Saunders say "No!"

There's still a significant amount of waiting-and-seeing that we need to do, IMO.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

I've projected that the Bolts' ceiling for 2021 is a playoff (most likely Wild Card) win. Anything beyond *that* would be a pleasant surprise, for *me*, anyways...

But the Chargers will have to do a lot of things well just to reach that sub-optimal goal of washing out after a first round playoff win.

As always, key players have to stay healthy. But beyond that, we have to see evidence that the new additions (Feiler, Linsley, Aboushi) are, in fact, better contributors than the guys they replaced (Feeney, Lamp, Tevi). We can't *know* for a while to come whether Telesco made the correct judgments with Rashawn Slater and Brandon Jaimes.

Do we trust that Staley knows what he's doing to any greater degree than we trusted that Mike McCoy or Anthony Lynn knew, upon their hirings, what *they* were doing?!? Staley has built some cred. Then again, Lynn and McCoy had built their own cred when *they* were hired.

Should we, as fans, trust that the Chargers organization has *FINALLY* gotten it right with the hiring of Staley? Mike Riley, Kevin Gilbride, Dan Henning and Al Saunders say "No!"

There's still a significant amount of waiting-and-seeing that we need to do, IMO.
                          We aren't that far apart. I suspect that I have more confidence in Staley than you.

Comment

Working...
                          X