• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northerner
    Charger fan since '79
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I mentioned Gallery, because he was supposed to be a generational talent at OT...oops, how'd that work out for the Raiders? Epic fail at OT, kicked inside to G, where he was more or less serviceable, but usually led the O-line in penalties every year...
    agree on this Topcat. Gallery went #2 overall and was super highly touted, bringing back thoughts of Tony Mandarich (interestingly, also taken #2 overall). Gallery and Mandarich both ended up playing for a while, but were nowhere near the level they were predicted to be at. Jamarcus Russel just happened to be the highest rated QB in a horrible draft for QB's, so he went #1 because the raiders wanted a QB. In Russell's draft there was only one other first round QB (Brady Quinn at #22) and literally a bunch of nobodies in the later rounds.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

agree on this Topcat. Gallery went #2 overall and was super highly touted, bringing back thoughts of Tony Mandarich (interestingly, also taken #2 overall). Gallery and Mandarich both ended up playing for a while, but were nowhere near the level they were predicted to be at. Jamarcus Russel just happened to be the highest rated QB in a horrible draft for QB's, so he went #1 because the raiders wanted a QB. In Russell's draft there was only one other first round QB (Brady Quinn at #22) and literally a bunch of nobodies in the later rounds.
      Ah, the good old 2007 draft...Raider coach Lame Kiffen reportedly wanted to draft Megatron, but was overruled by Al Davis, and they picked Jalardus instead...that was also the year we drafted Buster Davis...good times...

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Ah, the good old 2007 draft...Raider coach Lame Kiffen reportedly wanted to draft Megatron, but was overruled by Al Davis, and they picked Jalardus instead...that was also the year we drafted Buster Davis...good times...
        Davis wasn't a good pick, but near bottom of the 1st round. Weddle turned out to be a great pick up though just a few players later. Just not a great draft that year for the Chargers. This draft marked the start of the decline of A. J. Smith.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

It's news, but maybe we don't need this discussion in the main forum. I hate the 'cancel culture; period.
          Oh, i thought the title of this thread was NFL News. Seems like news to me, what with on the continuous chyron on ESPN and all. The league is considering punishment, would a potential head coach suspension be NFL news? I guess we’re not supposed to discuss it.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Oh, i thought the title of this thread was NFL News. Seems like news to me, what with on the continuous chyron on ESPN and all. The league is considering punishment, would a potential head coach suspension be NFL news? I guess we’re not supposed to discuss it.
            Yes this is big news. They made Donald Stirling sell the Clippers for similar comments. This is just one comment by Gruden 10 years ago but what a Dope for putting it in writing

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Davis wasn't a good pick, but near bottom of the 1st round. Weddle turned out to be a great pick up though just a few players later. Just not a great draft that year for the Chargers. This draft marked the start of the decline of A. J. Smith.
              We had to shell out THREE draft picks to move up for Weddle...worked out I suppose in this case, but not so much a year later, when AJ did about the same thing for just an average RB like Jacob Hester...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

We had to shell out THREE draft picks to move up for Weddle...worked out I suppose in this case, but not so much a year later, when AJ did about the same thing for just an average RB like Jacob Hester...
                That was the time of AJs tenure where he got cocky and he thought he was bullet proof. I remember a quote in training camp -- something like "we had 46 or 47 guys locked so didn't have many openings"

So AJ gave up a lot for Weddle - about 10 picks after Buster. Than he traded up for Hester. Watters the LB was a bad pick; Crompton the QB in R5 was a bad pick. All of the sudden, team got older, players left for Free Agency but the cupboard got bare pretty damn quick.

GMs can't get sure of themselves - always have to keep upgrading the roster.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

That was the time of AJs tenure where he got cocky and he thought he was bullet proof. I remember a quote in training camp -- something like "we had 46 or 47 guys locked so didn't have many openings"

So AJ gave up a lot for Weddle - about 10 picks after Buster. Than he traded up for Hester. Watters the LB was a bad pick; Crompton the QB in R5 was a bad pick. All of the sudden, team got older, players left for Free Agency but the cupboard got bare pretty damn quick.

Yep...not only did AJ needlessly trade away a lot of picks, but he also extended contracts of players like Jyles Tucker for big bucks...who never panned out...

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I truly believe Philip Rivers was the best QB in that draft, although I wanted Ben at that time, so I have to give AJ credit with that draft choice. The picks of Merriman and Castillo, however, fell in AJ's lap because at that time few teams were running the 3-4 defense. I also would have been good with the Cowboys picks in that first round with Ware and Spears. The Cowboys I believe were also transitioning to a 3-4. I mocked those 4 picks myself as going to either the Chargers or Cowboys. McNeil was also a no-brainer in my opinion. He had the back condition where it was already forecasted that he probably would not have a long career, but he was pro-ready from the start and the Chargers were in need of a LT, so again that was an easy choice in the early 2nd round where the Chargers drafted him, as was Cromartie who might have went late in the first round a couple years later. I give AJ credit for Hardwick though because as I remember, that was kind of a reach pick in the early 3rd round back then and he was certainly a solid pro center.

Outside of those picks, I am not sure AJ drafted all that well. Kaeding was certainly a reach for a kicker and Hester was no doubt a reach considering how much was given up to select him, which is still a head scratcher to me. Maybe I am missing something here, but those successful picks I had mentioned earlier were mostly easy low hanging picks picks that a casual fan as myself could have picked.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Even Belichick couldn’t turn this lazy bum around.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

I truly believe Philip Rivers was the best QB in that draft, although I wanted Ben at that time, so I have to give AJ credit with that draft choice. The picks of Merriman and Castillo, however, fell in AJ's lap because at that time few teams were running the 3-4 defense. I also would have been good with the Cowboys picks in that first round with Ware and Spears. The Cowboys I believe were also transitioning to a 3-4. I mocked those 4 picks myself as going to either the Chargers or Cowboys. McNeil was also a no-brainer in my opinion. He had the back condition where it was already forecasted that he probably would not have a long career, but he was pro-ready from the start and the Chargers were in need of a LT, so again that was an easy choice in the early 2nd round where the Chargers drafted him, as was Cromartie who might have went late in the first round a couple years later. I give AJ credit for Hardwick though because as I remember, that was kind of a reach pick in the early 3rd round back then and he was certainly a solid pro center.

Outside of those picks, I am not sure AJ drafted all that well. Kaeding was certainly a reach for a kicker and Hester was no doubt a reach considering how much was given up to select him, which is still a head scratcher to me. Maybe I am missing something here, but those successful picks I had mentioned earlier were mostly easy low hanging picks picks that a casual fan as myself could have picked.
                        On a 2003 Monday night game, John Madden said that the Chargers just lacked talent.
                        AJ Smith drafted spectacularly over the next 3 drafts
                        Even his first draft in 2003 was not all that bad, if we ignore the bonanza of rookie free agents they brought in that year

The problem was that he thought he was 'bleeping brilliant' and got rid of some of the important contributors to those drafts:

Buddy Nix & Marty Schottenheimer.

Remember, Marty was coach of the South team in the 2004 Senior Bowl. He did that for a reason.
                        You bet he had a lot of input. It was AJ's greatest draft (or maybe 2005).

In 2005, Charger scouts showed Marty film of Vincent Jackson and asked him to guess how large he thought Vincent Jackson was.
                        Marty liked big receivers.

Coaching staffs make a difference in the quality of drafts. Its not a coincidence AJ Smith's drafts went south the minute Norv replaced Marty,
                        and Buddy Nix quit; nor is it a coincidence that Marty Schottenheimer always seemed to have a lot of talent on his teams.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          Even Belichick couldn’t turn this lazy bum around.
                          And to think.... some people in this forum WANTED that bum for the Bolts...

Comment

Working...
                          X