Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

SD was serious enough to donate the Qualcomm site land and put up $350 million bond for them to stay...
    In the end, that site will be a glorious SDSU West campus. That site will generate millions of dollars for the community... rather than an economic drain.
    Smart economic decision. Can't wait to see an Aztecs game there this year!
    Yeah, I tend to agree. A football stadium sits empty most of the time. And let's face it, you have be at least somewhat wealthy to afford to attend NFL games today. The cost of the ticket, parking, concessions. So a stadium is going to benefit wealthy owners, millionaire players and the upper middle class to uber wealthy fans. But using public money to build a stadium uses tax money that all levels of the taxpaying public have contributed, but the lower classes who can't afford the NFL product don't share in the benefit.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Yeah, I tend to agree. A football stadium sits empty most of the time. And let's face it, you have be at least somewhat wealthy to afford to attend NFL games today. The cost of the ticket, parking, concessions. So a stadium is going to benefit wealthy owners, millionaire players and the upper middle class to uber wealthy fans. But using public money to build a stadium uses tax money that all levels of the taxpaying public have contributed, but the lower classes who can't afford the NFL product don't share in the benefit.
      100% agree. In the end, I'm still able to sit at home and watch my favorite team on T.V. Just like I always did!
      I used to go to a live game @the Murph once or twice a year... I miss that. But not enough to be upset over.
      Truth be told, I'm excited to go watch the Aztecs at the more suitable/less expensive new place.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
        San Diego may become for some NFL's cities like Québec for the NHL.
        A means of negociation.
        NFL owners will always need some kind of 'incentive' for a new place. Unfortunately for San Diego sports fans, there is no hope for a major sports franchise unless they can build a place on their own. Bills got a governor fan that pitched in State Funds for their stadium.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

NFL owners will always need some kind of 'incentive' for a new place. Unfortunately for San Diego sports fans, there is no hope for a major sports franchise unless they can build a place on their own. Bills got a governor fan that pitched in State Funds for their stadium.
          Yeah, she, the governor, is a native of suburban Buffalo and grew up a Bills fan. She was an easy mark.

Comment

• AK47
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            San Diego is quite happy without having a football team. Just saying.
            If it was Cleveland, Green Bay, Buffalo, ect. the whole city would be depressed not having an NFL team.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

How can SD be considered a serious threat to steal the Bills when they don't have a stadium?
              :lol: Good point, and anyone thinking a team is going to play in Petco is dreaming. The Padres arent going to let that happen and it only seats 40-45K?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Funny How Las Vegas is getting major sports teams (Golden Knights,Raiders) and isnt near as big as SD and they are still trying to lure the Oakland A's. An NBA team has been discussed and a Soccer team both of which i dont care about but its been discussed.

Id welcome the A's though.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-14-2022, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Funny How Las Vegas is getting sports major sports teams (Knights,Raiders) and isnt near as big as SD and they are still trying to lure the Oakland A's. An NBA team has been discussed and a Soccer team both of which i dont care about but its been discussed.

Id welcome the A's though.
                  Probably parallels the trend of large corporations moving their headquarters and operations out of California.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Probably parallels the trend of large corporations moving their headquarters and operations out of California.
                    It's using gambling and ToT money to subsidize sports owners.

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

Anyway, universities are major drivers of cash flow through grants, loans, etc. An extra 15k students probably generates $750M in cash flow each year.

In the long run they also drive jobs and economic growth.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Wow, the AFC continues to soak up all the top free agents. Gilmore signed with the colts…
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Gilmore's contract includes a negotiated walker and cane
                          G-Ro knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X