• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The decision on Rivers is the one that starts a lot of dominos falling, for us and for other teams that might want him. I wonder how long until we know he is being resigned or let go.
    TT was asked specifically about this at the presser.

He said this issue is expected to be resolved before the end of the football calendar year, ie March 18.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

TT was asked specifically about this at the presser.

He said this issue is expected to be resolved before the end of the football calendar year, ie March 18.
      I hope it is a lot earlier than the end of the year. I expect they know if they want him back or not already, but whether it works out financially might sway them one way or the other.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I hope it is a lot earlier than the end of the year. I expect they know if they want him back or not already, but whether it works out financially might sway them one way or the other.
        I'm thinking Telesco wants him back more than Lynn does.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

Huh? Our naval officer dad moved us lots. Penn, New Jersey, Denmark, Rhode Island, Virginia and finally to San Diego by the time I was age 11. Allowed me a wider experience of people and places.
          Just imagine a Caslon with some structure in his life.

How great would that be ?

:lol:

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Incredible.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

We signed Tyrod to be a choice in case Rivers doesn't resign this offseason. If Rivers comes back, then Tyrod probably goes elsewhere.

If Tyrod goes into the league year, at $7.5 mill, it doesn't prevent us from going after a UFA vet, low risk (mid-late round trade), street FA or drafting one or more rookies. It is just about having options. It costs us almost nothing if we don't keep him.

That being said, Tyrod is not a serious option if we are trying to win next season. He is a solid QB, and can keep a team from being completely embarrassed, but he is no where near as good as Rivers is. He is good enough to win on a decent team that has talent around him, and we don't have the kind of roster to support ANY QB.

The offseason is going to be about putting a whole team together. If Rivers can find a way to do it on a year by year deal, then he is our best hope. The exception to this is if we think there is a QB who can be a true franchise QB,a nd I am not sold on any of them at this point. They may have 1st round talent, but that is not the same thing as being a franchise QB. I don't think any of them are, at this point. Even next years class is a bit of a what if, since college QB are such huge projects. College offenses are so far away from what NFL teams play that it is tough to evaluate them.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                We signed Tyrod to be a choice in case Rivers doesn't resign this offseason. If Rivers comes back, then Tyrod probably goes elsewhere.

If Tyrod goes into the league year, at $7.5 mill, it doesn't prevent us from going after a UFA vet, low risk (mid-late round trade), street FA or drafting one or more rookies. It is just about having options. It costs us almost nothing if we don't keep him.

That being said, Tyrod is not a serious option if we are trying to win next season. He is a solid QB, and can keep a team from being completely embarrassed, but he is no where near as good as Rivers is. He is good enough to win on a decent team that has talent around him, and we don't have the kind of roster to support ANY QB.

The offseason is going to be about putting a whole team together. If Rivers can find a way to do it on a year by year deal, then he is our best hope. The exception to this is if we think there is a QB who can be a true franchise QB,a nd I am not sold on any of them at this point. They may have 1st round talent, but that is not the same thing as being a franchise QB. I don't think any of them are, at this point. Even next years class is a bit of a what if, since college QB are such huge projects. College offenses are so far away from what NFL teams play that it is tough to evaluate them.
                Thankmyou Steve,
                ..this is a voice of reason. We going no where with Tyrod as a starter next season.

However, I think Burrow has the make up to be a franchise QB. Not so sure after that but some others can maybe get it done with a good team around them.

Don't think Tannehill is all that but he is on a good team and just playing better than Mariota....who hasn't been very good....and he has the rushing champ this year on his team. He didn't even throw for 100 yards yesterday.

Comment

• Caslon
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

I was fortunate to have had "structure" despite having been moved to many places when young. Which maybe gave me more perspective than someone who's lived their entire life growing up in just one place during their formative years and thereafter. Dig that.

I agree that Rivers has planted himself here with his family and likes living in San Diego rather than LA. I doubt their kids will suffer if dad says we have to move and Rivers has provided "structure".

Also, forget about it being Taylor or Stick. Unless it's a well planned suicide scheme by TT and company to go 4-12 to get a higher pick QB next draft after this one.
                  What bothers me is if TT is determined to draft a QB (any QB) at #1 THIS year WITHOUT keeping Rivers one more year to tutor him.
                  Last edited by Caslon; 01-05-2020, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Yeah, we just shouldn’t draft a QB, ever.

Comment

• Caslon
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                      Yeah, we just shouldn’t draft a QB, ever.
                      Not at the draft order we have this year. Any QB drafted # two or three will be expected to be put into the fire almost immediately. The chances of the Chargers at their #1 pick of a QB won't be of that caliber. Therefore, if TT DOES draft a QB, it's most likely the Chargers will need him to be brought along slower. Thus the reason for keeping Rivers on a one year deal. He'll accept it. Why? Because he drives 100 miles each day to practice and probably doesn't want to uproot his family if he can help it. However, he'll uproot for the right price on a team where he is from. Makes sense to me.

Comment

• Electric Chicken
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

We better figure it out quick ,,, because the KC scoring machine keeps adding weapons !!!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Electric Chicken View Post
                          We better figure it out quick ,,, because the KC scoring machine keeps adding weapons !!!
                          Screw the Oline yapfest.
                          Build the defense.

Comment

Working...
                          X