Who Will Be The Offensive Coordinator For The ‘20/21 season?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I keep hearing posters mentioning about how Stitch needs a "mentor." Sounds like Stitch is kind of unqualified for the job...
    I don't look at it that way. I look at what happened in Minnesota. Stefanski is the OC but Rick Dennison and Kubiak were added to help with the run game and what not. I think a guy like Steichen could use somebody to learn from. I also think Lynn needs somebody else to help him. Caldwell is a good solid coach. Look at his record - I get he had Manning and the Colts. But his record in Detroit - for that team - was good.

Comment

• pacstud
      Black Belt Poster
      • Sep 2018
      • Send PM

Okay, Pac, let's talk, then. For example, one of those predictable plays I alluded to was that 4th and 2 play vs. the Chefs, when Lynn/Stitch called for a shotgun handoff to Gordon up the gut. Which was stuffed by KC for no gain. Now, in my humble opinion, I felt that this play was very predictable. Not only was it predictable, but the Chef defenders were able to fully see that shotgun handoff, which gave the LB's even a few MORE extra seconds to run to the hole and really stuff Gordon.

Had Rivers been under center, with Watt in there as upback, he could have at LEAST faked to Watt before handing it off to Gordon. I feel this could have made it less predictable, and harder to defend. Actually, I mentioned in an earlier post that a quick opener to Watt would have been an even better play, giving us the advantage of the quick count and Watt hitting the hole before extra defenders could swarm to stop him.

Now, Pac, I realize I don't have the x's and o's background that you have, and I've mentioned before on other posts that I, along with many others here on this board, do appreciate your expertise in this area, because I've actually learned a few things from you and others. (Even though you get kind of angry with some of us sometimes). But, getting back to the play call here, what do you see going on? Why did this play fail? Was it predictable? Could we have used Rivers under center and/or Watt in there also to at least disguise our intent a little better than the shotgun handoff? What would YOU have run on a 4th and short with our personnel? What do you think?

image.jpeg
      Tell you what, tonight when I get home I'll crank out a play analysis. Can't say it'll be worth a shit, but I'll give it a go.

Just stop saying "up the gut"....please!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Okay, Pac, let's talk, then. For example, one of those predictable plays I alluded to was that 4th and 2 play vs. the Chefs, when Lynn/Stitch called for a shotgun handoff to Gordon up the gut. Which was stuffed by KC for no gain. Now, in my humble opinion, I felt that this play was very predictable. Not only was it predictable, but the Chef defenders were able to fully see that shotgun handoff, which gave the LB's even a few MORE extra seconds to run to the hole and really stuff Gordon.

Had Rivers been under center, with Watt in there as upback, he could have at LEAST faked to Watt before handing it off to Gordon. I feel this could have made it less predictable, and harder to defend. Actually, I mentioned in an earlier post that a quick opener to Watt would have been an even better play, giving us the advantage of the quick count and Watt hitting the hole before extra defenders could swarm to stop him.

Now, Pac, I realize I don't have the x's and o's background that you have, and I've mentioned before on other posts that I, along with many others here on this board, do appreciate your expertise in this area, because I've actually learned a few things from you and others. (Even though you get kind of angry with some of us sometimes). But, getting back to the play call here, what do you see going on? Why did this play fail? Was it predictable? Could we have used Rivers under center and/or Watt in there also to at least disguise our intent a little better than the shotgun handoff? What would YOU have run on a 4th and short with our personnel? What do you think?

image.jpeg
        Kirk COusins said one of the key changes to the offense with the Vikings was putting him under center more. Was better for the running game, play action, kept the defense honest. I have long thought Rivers is in the gun too much. I get having a healthy Cook too.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Kirk COusins said one of the key changes to the offense with the Vikings was putting him under center more. Was better for the running game, play action, kept the defense honest. I have long thought Rivers is in the gun too much. I get having a healthy Cook too.
          Agree. When your QB is under center in the I formation, it disguises your plays better. Also, you can hand off to the upback, and THEN really sell the play action fake to either back. Even a QB under center with a single RB is better than shotgun. Shotgun handoff...most predictable play in football...EVERYBODY and his BROTHER knows it's either a pass or obvious handoff...
          Last edited by Topcat; 01-09-2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I like the Caldwell idea. If he would want to do it.

Does Lynn have a son? Lotsa times coaches just hire their sons to be QB coach. Cough. Marty! Cough.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              I like the Caldwell idea. If he would want to do it.

Does Lynn have a son? Lotsa times coaches just hire their sons to be QB coach. Cough. Marty! Cough.

TG
              That's funny!

To be fair Brian Schottenheimer will be coaching in the playoffs this weekend.
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post

That's funny!

To be fair Brian Schottenheimer will be coaching in the playoffs this weekend.
                Yeah, Marty actually knew what he was doing.

Comment

• pacstud
                  Black Belt Poster
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

Comment

• pacstud
                    Black Belt Poster
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

Had to do it in two parts. Gonna go ref basketball. talk later

Comment

• Kingcrimson
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

I have a feeling we don’t re-sign Rivers. Solidify O-line. Draft Tua. Start Tyrod Taylor. Taylor’s gonna have a bad stretch around maybe week 6 then Tua takes over. Wins the rest of the games. Just a hunch.

I don’t think we retain Rivers and have 2 different playbooks for PR and a separate one for Tyrod and qb we draft.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post
                        Had to do it in two parts. Gonna go ref basketball. talk later

Wow, Pac, great analysis there...thank you so much for explaining that this was primarily an EXECUTION problem, and not necessarily an alignment or play call issue. So, to summarize, you're saying that Gordon got stopped short of the first down mainly because Chris Jones was able to fight off Feeney's attempt to seal him off, and Jones was able to close up the hole Gordon was aiming for. Does that sound about right? If so, maybe the Bolts either think twice about sending Gordon to Jones's spot, or double team Jones, who is quite a load to account for...

image.png

Pac, you also mentioned that Gordon had committed to that A-gap hole (red arrow below)...looks like there was a better hole in the B gap (yellow arrow below)... could this be another case of Gordon's faulty vision? Not seeing the bigger hole and hitting it?

image.png

Last edited by Topcat; 01-09-2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

I don't think the season would have ended any different with the most exciting or innovative coach calling plays.

Ask yourself what play calls offset a horrible OL, remembering 90% of the assignments in an offensive playbook are blocks.

Comment

Working...
                          X