Rivers Family Packed Up And Left California.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargingBolts
    Superbowl?
    • Sep 2018
    • Los Angeles/Chicago
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

If true he's either ready to retire or figures either Tampa or Miami could be options when negotiation period opens up. Either way it's a win for him in terms of taxes - 0 state income tax.

Guess we shall see if he uproots his family from sd.
    0 state income tax doesn't help if your income is $0 due to retirement

Comment

• ChargingBolts
      Superbowl?
      • Sep 2018
      • Los Angeles/Chicago
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
      the team can FT him but he doesnt have to sign it from what I understand.
      If he doesn't sign I think he has to retire or force a trade no? If he sits out he would still be under Chargers control no?

Comment

• SDBORN
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post

0 state income tax doesn't help if your income is $0 due to retirement
        You think rivers doesn't have other investments? Lmao

Whether he retires or not, he will have money coming in from more than just football sources.

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

If he doesn't sign I think he has to retire or force a trade no? If he sits out he would still be under Chargers control no?
          or does it only apply to accruing a year towards free agency before your 1st 5-years is up? kinda like the mg deal this year?

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

He will pay the taxes of the state he plays each game in so half of his games will be without taxes if he signs with a Florida team, but the other half will be in whatever state he plays in.

As a side note, all Charger players now get a game in Nevada instead of California, so they effectively get a small raise.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
              Superbowl?
              • Sep 2018
              • Los Angeles/Chicago
              • Send PM

You think rivers doesn't have other investments? Lmao

Whether he retires or not, he will have money coming in from more than just football sources.
              You only pay federal and state taxes if you have income coming in from cashing out. If he has investments he would have to liquidate them to pay taxes on them, if he lets them ride for 10 to 20 years he won't pay taxes on them until he cashes them out.

Comment

• SDBORN
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

You only pay federal and state taxes if you have income coming in from cashing out. If he has investments he would have to liquidate them to pay taxes on them, if he lets them ride for 10 to 20 years he won't pay taxes on them until he cashes them out.
                If you're talking fixed assets that don't yield passive income, or investments that don't yield dividends, you are correct.

However there are plenty of investments that yield dividends/passive income, that even if re-invested immediately in the same tax year, increase the tax burden for that same year. You are 1099'd on them and are required to pay estimated taxes on both federal and state levels for those.

You don't always have a choice of when to ''cash out'' with certain investments. I know this from experience.
                You can pass some on to adult children and avoid tax on a federal level. This isn't the case with the state of California that taxes these gains at the full income tax rate.
                Last edited by SDBORN; 01-17-2020, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

If you're talking fixed assets that don't yield passive income, or investments that don't yield dividends, you are correct.

However there are plenty of investments that yield dividends/passive income, that even if re-invested immediately in the same tax year, increase the tax burden for that same year. You are 1099'd on them and are required to pay estimated taxes on both federal and state levels for those.

You don't always have a choice of when to ''cash out'' with certain investments. I know this from experience.
                  You can pass some on to adult children and avoid tax on a federal level. This isn't the case with the state of California that taxes these gains at the full income tax rate.
                  Correct on the 1099R aspect. I lease my farmland to wheat farmers near Wall, SD. I pay S.D. taxes on that in South Dakota, and I am a Los Angeles resident again. Origin of investment is key.

By the way, I keep my 1968 Mustang fastback and my Cougar Eliminator in South Dakota because 10 x 20 storage units for autos are $600 dollars a month in Los Angeles, and $60 dollars a month in South Dakota. Wild, huh?

Comment

• SDBORN
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Correct on the 1099R aspect. I lease my farmland to wheat farmers near Wall, SD. I pay S.D. taxes on that in South Dakota, and I am a Los Angeles resident again. Origin of investment is key.

By the way, I keep my 1968 Mustang fastback and my Cougar Eliminator in South Dakota because 10 x 20 storage units for autos are $600 dollars a month in Los Angeles, and $60 dollars a month in South Dakota. Wild, huh?
                    Totally wild, but at the same time, not unexpected at all. I don't blame people for leaving California in droves - you get financially hit at every oppurtunity. We are about to lose a congressional seat due to the drop in population from what I've read.

Really not much incentive financially to stay here, unelss your business dealings require you to be here to maintain them and prosper.
                    Last edited by SDBORN; 01-18-2020, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• jubei
                      Vagabond Ninja
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I for one am not too enamored living in CA anymore. I grew up in CA but realize all the shit we pay here! anyways OT...sorry.

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Is the black van the Riversmobile equipped with TVs and film study equipment?

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Totally wild, but at the same time, not unexpected at all. I don't blame people for leaving California in droves - you get financially hit at every oppurtunity. We are about to lose a congressional seat due to the drop in population from what I've read.

Really not much incentive financially to stay here, unelss your business dealings require you to be here to maintain them and prosper.
                          Yeah, it’s an expensive state that became a lot more expensive thanks to the elimination of SALT deductions.

Comment

Working...
                          X