Rivers Family Packed Up And Left California.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Totally wild, but at the same time, not unexpected at all. I don't blame people for leaving California in droves - you get financially hit at every oppurtunity. We are about to lose a congressional seat due to the drop in population from what I've read.

Really not much incentive financially to stay here, unelss your business dealings require you to be here to maintain them and prosper.
    Unless you own a house. In that case, it becomes a cash cow.

Comment

• SDBORN
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Yeah, it’s an expensive state that became a lot more expensive thanks to the elimination of SALT deductions.
      That one is an interesting one. I was really freaked out about the tax change when it was passed. I asked my CPA at the time to do an analysis for me at the same level of income 2017 tax year vs 2018 tax year with the new SALT rules. Surprisingly, I ended up a little bit better off in 2018 - the reason was that even though I lost a lot of deduction on the SALT side, I saved a lot by the AMT (alternative minimum tax) dropping off. So the net effect was that I gained $200.

My CPA mentioned that he calculated that only 6 percent of his California clients were negatively affected by the new tax law. The other 94 slightly benefited. I have yet to research California wide studies on it.

I will say this - people in low or no income tax states such as Texas got the biggest benefit, as they are mostly low cost states in comparison to CA. Most there do not exceed the 10K limit on SALT deductions either way, even though they higher property tax rates. Their properties are a lot cheaper and larger for the price. And since they have no income tax, it usually isn't an issue.

Comment

• SDBORN
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Unless you own a house. In that case, it becomes a cash cow.
        Really depends on when you bought and how long you can wait. Historically if you hold onto it for at least 10-15 years, you'll do well out here. But again, not like you have to stay in California in order to hold onto/rent it out and continue to get the appreciation. Could live may other places for much cheaper, get a good property manager for a 5 percent fee and take in the rent from the property here. Of course, you'll have to pay California taxes on it either way, but the savings in just about every other area of life would more than make up for it.

The California weather and terrain is what is hard to beat elsewhere. It really is a special place in that regard.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
          The Precious
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

From the way he was drafted to his departure Phil always stayed loyal and gave me some of my best Chargers memories and I appreciate that.

Theres no guarantees with the next guy especially with this front office and it’s 50/50 at best that they don’t fuck this up. No one to blame next year Anthony.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Until I see more than his next door neighbors moving, I'll remain skeptical.

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Uhh... this has certainly not been announced anywhere.
              it has not been announced but by not resigning him last summer, and spending so much money on our backup QB, kind of says so....... Chargers also know that waiting longer would cost them even more as other QB's get new deals...... and Chargers have not come out and said they want him back...... Unless Rivers wants to play for less than market value, I assume spanos will let him go.....

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                Superbowl?
                • Sep 2018
                • Los Angeles/Chicago
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

it has not been announced but by not resigning him last summer, and spending so much money on our backup QB, kind of says so....... Chargers also know that waiting longer would cost them even more as other QB's get new deals...... and Chargers have not come out and said they want him back...... Unless Rivers wants to play for less than market value, I assume spanos will let him go.....
                This is speculation and all the Brady rumors are then also not true if Spanos is not going to sign HOF'ers to market value, if he's not going to give 38 year old Rivers 3 years $100M due to money then why would he give 43 year old Brady $100M when there is no proof that will increase attendance (I believe it would get worse signing one of the most hated players in sports).

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Mort and Shefter reporting it via text from Rivers: family has moved to Florida to be closer to family.

Philip Rivers was a SAn Diego Charger - thats for damn sure! Did the team proud

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post

This is speculation and all the Brady rumors are then also not true if Spanos is not going to sign HOF'ers to market value, if he's not going to give 38 year old Rivers 3 years $100M due to money then why would he give 43 year old Brady $100M when there is no proof that will increase attendance (I believe it would get worse signing one of the most hated players in sports).
                    I can totally see the Spanii overpaying for Brady at the expense of adding to the OL, DL, WR, CB - just to make a splash. I mean, it will be the talk of the NFL in March, at the draft, who knows, maybe even that HBO show, Hard Knocks (though the Chargers went to the playoffs in 2018 so do not have to do it). But by middle of October because the defense sticks, the OL stinks and the team is 3-6 - well there goes that pizzazz.

All things equal - meaning the talent on the field, players, coaching staff - who would be better for one year, a 43 year old Brady or a 38 year old Rivers. I am curious about that. I know what Rivers is. Wonder how Brady would be. Other than that - don't think its a wise long term move as Brady will want to be paid like a 33 year old Tom Brady. And thats a lot!

Comment

• Electric Chicken
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

ESPN is reporting this is true ,,, Phillip moved 2 Florida. Miami Dolphins ? Carolina ??
                      Last edited by Electric Chicken; 01-19-2020, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Fuuuuuuck.Well that's probably it for the Rivers era.Damn I truly dispise the spaznos idiot clan.Worst owners in the league.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                          Superbowl?
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Los Angeles/Chicago
                          • Send PM

Yep Adam Schefter has confirmed that Phil has said so.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...475699712?s=19
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X