• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    We can always target who we predict will pick 1 overall next draft and trade them for it.
    say you think the redskins will have the worst record in 2020, offer them our first this year and a player.
    Its a gamble but worth it all if we can land TL
    hell, if we’re able to sign Bosa long term this offseason, I’d feel comfortable if Lynn got the green light by baby Spanos to go winless in 2020
    But that would turn the Bolts into cheaters, similar to the Cheatriots, the 2019 Astros and the 1919 Chicago Black Sox..."say it ain't so, Joe..."

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

But that would turn the Bolts into cheaters, similar to the Cheatriots, the 2019 Astros and the 1919 Chicago Black Sox..."say it ain't so, Joe..."
      I’d manage.
      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sb4Rivers View Post

TT has to make an effort to go after Joe Burrow or the team will lose even more faith after parting with Rivers. We all know Spani and TT history have not shown they are doing everything to win now.

or WR/TE/RB are in a great position for a guy Like Burrow to succeed. Giants gave up a lot of picks and won 2x Super Bowl.
        HH has to be paid, Eckler is the Starter, we are set on #1 & #2 WR.
        if Chargers truly have money to spend in FA, fill the Holes for next two years.

what will it cost 2 -#1 picks, 2-#2 pick and some lower picks.

Burrow is the only Potential Franchise QB I see in this draft and next years draft.
        I disagree with virtually everything you are saying here.

1. The Chargers have not yet parted with Rivers.

Rivers and his family relocated. Unless I missed some sort of news on the subject to the contrary, that does not mean that he will not be back with the Chargers. The primary good result that the Chargers will achieve in not bringing back Rivers is that they will go a long way toward assuring that they are in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes in 2021.

2. While several QBs expected to be drafted in the next two drafts have the potential to succeed, Lawrence is the only one that is virtually guaranteed to succeed.

Burrow looks great when he has 5 guys wide open on play after play (brilliant OC/system) and gets to compete with 15 guys not including himself in the top 300 on big boards versus 6 for teams like Clemson. Without that advantage, Burrow was just a guy in his red shirt junior season in 2018. Keep in mind that in Burrow's 2018 red shirt junior season, he was two years older and two years more developed than Lawrence was as a true sophomore this past season.

Despite giving up three years in age to Burrow, Lawrence already possesses superior physical traits and that gap should widen as Lawrence, who, despite starting in two national championship games, only just turned 20 a few months ago, continues to approach his physical peak.

Lawrence is the only QB in either draft (2020, 2021) that is worth more than mid level first round pick. I would favor giving up multiple early picks for Lawrence and only Lawrence.

3. The Giants won two Super Bowls in spite of Eli Manning, not because of him.

The Giants got fleeced by the Chargers in the Philip Rivers/Eli Manning trade. The Chargers got the better QB (that is an objective fact that cannot reasonably be debated) and draft picks that turned into Shawne Merriman, Nate Kaeding and Roman Oben (obtained in a trade with Tampa Bay for the 2005 5th round pick the Chargers secured from the Giants).

Eli Manning turned out to be an average QB that turned in good gross production stats because he played a lot of games. That is, Manning produced quantity due to longevity, but never quality. Philip Rivers is a Hall of Fame caliber QB who has put up elite numbers in terms of both quality and quantity of production.

Merriman and Kaeding were both Pro Bowlers. Oben was a solid starter.

The Giants won Super Bowls with Eli Manning on the team because of their defense. The Eli Manning Giants offense failed to produce 20 points in either Super Bowl win.

4. Hunter Henry is not an elite TE.

Henry is an above average, but not elite TE when healthy and he is not healthy a lot. The team does not need to get into a bidding war to keep a player like Henry, who has some value, but who also can easily be replaced if the Chargers make replacing him a priority. I would not mind it at all if Henry left and turned into a compensatory pick for the Chargers in 2021.

5. Austin Ekeler should not be the starting RB.

I want the team to keep Ekeler. Ekeler is awesome and was easily the best RB on the roster in 2019. But Ekeler is best when he is in the role of #2 RB and primary third down RB. I am hoping Gordon gets signed to a big juicy contract somewhere else, but it is difficult for me to imagine another team being that stupid, so I could see the team signing Gordon to a discounted contract when Gordon's options in free agency fail to materialize.

Having Gordon back would be unfortunate because the trade back possibility, if Telesco could pull it off, appears to have a lot of potential. I would love to see the Chargers swap pick #6 for picks #18 and #26 held by Miami if Miami were willing to do such a trade. D'Andre Swift at #18 would be a potential steal and would represent an immediate upgrade at the starting RB position. His cutting ability is at least as good as, but more likely better than that of any RB in the NFL right now. But Swift is not a huge RB either, so I could see the Chargers giving Swift more carries than Ekeler, but also giving Ekeler a fairly large number of carries.

The #26 pick could be used to take a player like Tyler Biadasz, who could be a top starter for a decade. Another possibility for #26 is a player like Laviska Shenault if he proves to be fast enough to be a player that can stretch defenses, a point about which there are mixed reports.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I’d manage.
          Well, Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow and field manager A.J. Hinch are no longer managing...just sayin'...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Ekeler will get big money offers.
            Gordon will be cheaper.
            I'll just throw this right here.

:biggrin:

Lot's of moving parts, Bolts fans.
            And it's early.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              Ekeler will get big money offers.
              Gordon will be cheaper.
              I'll just throw this right here.

:biggrin:

Lot's of moving parts, Bolts fans.
              And it's early.
              LOL...now that's funny, but probably true...imagine...Ekkie gets the $10 mil that TT foolishly offered MG3, and Gordon has to settle for around $5 mil a year for 2 years...with the Fins...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

LOL...now that's funny, but probably true...imagine...Ekkie gets the $10 mil that TT foolishly offered MG3, and Gordon has to settle for around $5 mil a year for 2 years...with the Fins...
                We have no idea
                what is about to unfold.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Ekeler is a RFA. Give him a first or second round tender if you think teams will make him an offer

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Ekeler is a RFA. Give him a first or second round tender if you think teams will make him an offer
                    Why I brought up Sproles.

Franchise at a crossroads.

Comment

• foreigner
                      Tom Telesco is gone
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Send PM

Knowing the Chargers I can safely assure you Ekeler will have his 4.667 million in 2020.

Comment

• Caslon
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

Sproles went on and helped Philly win a SB. It's how this team was at the time he was let go. Drafted a human suicide cannonball RB who was supposed to take the place of LT. That and the lack of imagination from the OC doomed Sproles. I so much liked the way Sproles fumbled a return, and from there on made it obvious on kickoffs that he wouldn't do that again. Almost overly obvious in a good way. Like he was conducting a camp on how to catch and secure a football. He recently retired almost a decade after the Chargers thought better and released him. Fools.

Comment

• Sb4Rivers
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I disagree with virtually everything you are saying here.

1. The Chargers have not yet parted with Rivers.

Rivers and his family relocated. Unless I missed some sort of news on the subject to the contrary, that does not mean that he will not be back with the Chargers. The primary good result that the Chargers will achieve in not bringing back Rivers is that they will go a long way toward assuring that they are in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes in 2021.

2. While several QBs expected to be drafted in the next two drafts have the potential to succeed, Lawrence is the only one that is virtually guaranteed to succeed.

Burrow looks great when he has 5 guys wide open on play after play (brilliant OC/system) and gets to compete with 15 guys not including himself in the top 300 on big boards versus 6 for teams like Clemson. Without that advantage, Burrow was just a guy in his red shirt junior season in 2018. Keep in mind that in Burrow's 2018 red shirt junior season, he was two years older and two years more developed than Lawrence was as a true sophomore this past season.

Despite giving up three years in age to Burrow, Lawrence already possesses superior physical traits and that gap should widen as Lawrence, who, despite starting in two national championship games, only just turned 20 a few months ago, continues to approach his physical peak.

Lawrence is the only QB in either draft (2020, 2021) that is worth more than mid level first round pick. I would favor giving up multiple early picks for Lawrence and only Lawrence.

3. The Giants won two Super Bowls in spite of Eli Manning, not because of him.

The Giants got fleeced by the Chargers in the Philip Rivers/Eli Manning trade. The Chargers got the better QB (that is an objective fact that cannot reasonably be debated) and draft picks that turned into Shawne Merriman, Nate Kaeding and Roman Oben (obtained in a trade with Tampa Bay for the 2005 5th round pick the Chargers secured from the Giants).

Eli Manning turned out to be an average QB that turned in good gross production stats because he played a lot of games. That is, Manning produced quantity due to longevity, but never quality. Philip Rivers is a Hall of Fame caliber QB who has put up elite numbers in terms of both quality and quantity of production.

Merriman and Kaeding were both Pro Bowlers. Oben was a solid starter.

The Giants won Super Bowls with Eli Manning on the team because of their defense. The Eli Manning Giants offense failed to produce 20 points in either Super Bowl win.

4. Hunter Henry is not an elite TE.

Henry is an above average, but not elite TE when healthy and he is not healthy a lot. The team does not need to get into a bidding war to keep a player like Henry, who has some value, but who also can easily be replaced if the Chargers make replacing him a priority. I would not mind it at all if Henry left and turned into a compensatory pick for the Chargers in 2021.

5. Austin Ekeler should not be the starting RB.

I want the team to keep Ekeler. Ekeler is awesome and was easily the best RB on the roster in 2019. But Ekeler is best when he is in the role of #2 RB and primary third down RB. I am hoping Gordon gets signed to a big juicy contract somewhere else, but it is difficult for me to imagine another team being that stupid, so I could see the team signing Gordon to a discounted contract when Gordon's options in free agency fail to materialize.

Having Gordon back would be unfortunate because the trade back possibility, if Telesco could pull it off, appears to have a lot of potential. I would love to see the Chargers swap pick #6 for picks #18 and #26 held by Miami if Miami were willing to do such a trade. D'Andre Swift at #18 would be a potential steal and would represent an immediate upgrade at the starting RB position. His cutting ability is at least as good as, but more likely better than that of any RB in the NFL right now. But Swift is not a huge RB either, so I could see the Chargers giving Swift more carries than Ekeler, but also giving Ekeler a fairly large number of carries.

The #26 pick could be used to take a player like Tyler Biadasz, who could be a top starter for a decade. Another possibility for #26 is a player like Laviska Shenault if he proves to be fast enough to be a player that can stretch defenses, a point about which there are mixed reports.
                          Think about this, TT needs to make an effort... does not mean he has to secure the first pick at all cost.it shows he is looking at all options. As for next years Top QB... you are saying he will not get injured and he will be the best QB available in draft and we will have the #1 pick. That’s a a lot of Iffffffssss.

not to mention who we lose due to retirement, contract & injuries.

TT has to draft a QB this year, would be a waste if they really are waiting for next years #1. Even spending Money on a vet. it’s just another reason for joint players not to resign for this team....but, it worked well for tank for Luck

Lynch build San Francisco from scratch with less talent we have currently. they have been to two Super Bowls in last 10 years, and rebuilt from ground up

Comment

Working...
                          X