• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Chargers MO over the years points anywhere but signing Brady. The Chargers aren't looking to spend gazilions. Signing him other than short term (not their MO) would cost bazillions. Besides, a Brady type wouldn't even want to be on a Spanos' owned team, no matter how much they offered.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

I can not understand why intelligent fans on this forum continue to believe that the Spanos are cheap when signing players, as if they are pocketing the money they save on the cap each year....somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but that just doesn't happen. First, cap savings roll over to next year. Second, we have(it seems to me) been pretty close to the cap limit, relative to other teams, for several years now...this being the first year in awhile where we appear to have a decent amount of spending cash before we even get cute and try to finangle money around...The money that is alloted to the players always gets spent on the players eventually, people.

Now...if you want to accuse the Spanos family of being cheap about paying management, coaches, providing facilities, not ponying up more money for their share of a stadium to stay in SD...then you at least have a legitimate complaint. But if you think they are too cheap to pay Tom Brady? They are gonna spend that cap money eventually anyway, one way or the other...I would argue that bringing in Tom Brady would be the best possible way to spend that money, from the perspective of selling seats and jerseys...in other words, from a financial stand point, it's the smart move and the most likely return on those dollars...

That being said, smart move or not, I hope to hell it doesn't happen. The guy is an asshole, plain and simple. It would hurt to see that circus come to town.
      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
        I can not understand why intelligent fans on this forum continue to believe that the Spanos are cheap when signing players, as if they are pocketing the money they save on the cap each year....somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but that just doesn't happen. First, cap savings roll over to next year. Second, we have(it seems to me) been pretty close to the cap limit, relative to other teams, for several years now...this being the first year in awhile where we appear to have a decent amount of spending cash before we even get cute and try to finangle money around...The money that is alloted to the players always gets spent on the players eventually, people.

Now...if you want to accuse the Spanos family of being cheap about paying management, coaches, providing facilities, not ponying up more money for their share of a stadium to stay in SD...then you at least have a legitimate complaint. But if you think they are too cheap to pay Tom Brady? They are gonna spend that cap money eventually anyway, one way or the other...I would argue that bringing in Tom Brady would be the best possible way to spend that money, from the perspective of selling seats and jerseys...in other words, from a financial stand point, it's the smart move and the most likely return on those dollars...

That being said, smart move or not, I hope to hell it doesn't happen. The guy is an asshole, plain and simple. It would hurt to see that circus come to town.
        This is it exactly, the Spanos being cheap is a flat out lie. Spanos are not wise with their spending of football money is right on, they always spend money though.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

This is it exactly, the Spanos being cheap is a flat out lie. Spanos are not wise with their spending of football money is right on, they always spend money though.
          Agreed. The Chargers never have tons of dollars to roll over on the cap. Do they always spend it wisely? No Might they micromanage instead of letting the true football people do their job? I would think thats a big old YES.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Spanos is cheap hiring HCs not players.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson writes the Buccaneers and Chargers are in position to make a run at Tom Brady.

Robinson notes that these two teams, plus the Titans and 49ers, are waiting on how things shake out between Brady and the Patriots. ESPN's Mike Reiss reported on Tuesday that they are "no closer to an agreement" and that there is "uncertainty" throughout New England with just days remaining before the legal tampering period kicks off. Both the Bucs and Bolts have the receiving weapons (and likely the salary) Brady is looking for at this stage in his career but actually leaving the Pats organization may be easier said than done. It's expected that the Patriots will offer Brady a reasonable contract before free agency begins. The question is if he'll accept it.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud reports the Buccaneers are going "all in" on Tom Brady in free agency.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud reports the Buccaneers are going "all in" on Tom Brady in free agency.
                  They have a bunch of cap space - like 80m - they can raise the price tag

(I still think the 49ers make the most sense if he wants to get paid AND win).

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Just don't see why the Niners would want Brady while paying Garrololo 130 mil and coming off a SB appearance.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                      Just don't see why the Niners would want Brady while paying Garrololo 130 mil and coming off a SB appearance.
                      His deal was really two parts - two years 60m with an opt out
                      If they opt out, he is 4m of dead cap space. His cap hit this year is 28m - so the 49ers would have essentially $24m of cap space to fit Brady

FWIW - Breer talks about Brady to the Chargers. How the Chargers have cap space, upgrading OL and they have offensive weapons. Plus with the 6th pick - they can get another OT
                      but Breer writes: will Brady want to play for Lynn and Steichen.

Interesting that Breer mentions Brady. Personally, I still think Brady should not be an option for the Bolts

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

His deal was really two parts - two years 60m with an opt out
                        If they opt out, he is 4m of dead cap space. His cap hit this year is 28m - so the 49ers would have essentially $24m of cap space to fit Brady

FWIW - Breer talks about Brady to the Chargers. How the Chargers have cap space, upgrading OL and they have offensive weapons. Plus with the 6th pick - they can get another OT
                        but Breer writes: will Brady want to play for Lynn and Steichen.

Interesting that Breer mentions Brady. Personally, I still think Brady should not be an option for the Bolts
                        So 64 mil all guaranteed is a better deal for them? Still a big cap hit......bigger by my math. Just dont see it as a fit for them. Garropolo is young and took them to a SB.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

So 64 mil all guaranteed is a better deal for them? Still a big cap hit......bigger by my math. Just dont see it as a fit for them. Garropolo is young and took them to a SB.
                          Oh no, you are right 64/2 > 24 left over . So the 49ers would have to make the math work. The Saints do it every year though. The first year Brees is not a Saint, they have a 21m dead cap hit coming as of today. Maybe he really gives a team friendly deal to allow that number to go down this offseason.

I don't think he is the right fit - and the Spanii signing him would be for the WRONG reasons - but I do wonder how all things equal, how Brady would do with basically the same weapons. Granted, a better OL probably.

Comment

Working...
                          X