• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Last week, at a basketball game, Brady said he returns with the Patriots.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

I don't think Brady is going to the Chargers. I don't think it would be the right move. I think for the dollars - they need to build a longer term team and he would eat up too much of the cap . Granted, the draft would be huge for Telesco and I am not sure he is up for what he would have to do in the draft

That said - all things equal - I do think Brady would play better than Rivers did last year. I get the bar is low but thats where we are at. How the player will play in 2020 not the previous years

I do think Rivers will be better with the Colts than the Chargers too. I think the coaching, OL, change of scenery, REAL home games, indoor games.. all of that will help Rivers.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

I don't want the Chargers to sign Brady. But the rumors of his post playing career in Hollywood appear to be true as he just opened a new production company called 199 Productions in LA. Whether this has any bearings on possibly signing with the Chargers is yet to be seen.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

I see him at Las Vegas. Do the raiders have enough cap space ?

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

“But Brady made waves Monday by weighing in on the coronavirus outbreak.

He followed that up with a big-time off-the-field announcement which could be an indicator of where he will sign.

I’m excited to announce to the world the official launch of 199 Productions. When I was the 199th draft pick in 2000, I knew I needed to work hard every day to prove myself. Launching a production company is no different and I’m humbled to have the opportunity to partner with @therussobrothers, @agbofilms and @gchopra on our first project “Unseen Football.” I believe in the essence of teamwork, and I have no doubt, our 199 Productions team and partners will create inspiring content to share with the world. Stay tuned.. exciting times are ahead, both on and off the field.

Deadline was the first to report details of Brady’s production company.

Deadline has learned that Hollywood will be part of the long term plan for the record setting quarterback, with the help of the directors of the all time biggest grossing film. Brady is launching 199 Productions, a global multi-platform content company to develop original premium content including documentaries, feature films and television shows. The company has quietly assembled a slate of development projects that include several with Brady on camera, in stories spanning sports, entertainment and health and wellness among others.

Buy Chiefs Super Bowl champions gear: NFL Shop, Fanatics

Brady jumping into film-making could bode well for the Chargers. Los Angeles is one of the teams expected to court Brady after parting ways with Philip Rivers. And don’t forget that Brady is a California native. So his investment in Hollywood could be a sign of things to come in Los Angeles.

As Brady said in his Instagram post, he named the company 199 Productions as a nod to his selection in the 2000 NFL Draft, when he was the 199th pick overall.

Since then, Brady has gone on to win Super Bowl MVP awards and three NFL MVP awards. Not bad for a sixth-round pick.”
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
              I see him at Las Vegas. Do the raiders have enough cap space ?
              They do with a little over 50 mil but he isnt going there. Dont care what the rumors are. He isnt coming to the Charers either. He is NOT the type of QB Lynn wants.

Comment

• SDBORN
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

They do with a little over 50 mil but he isnt going there. Dont care what the rumors are. He isnt coming to the Charers either. He is NOT the type of QB Lynn wants.
                To play Devil's advocate for a moment...

Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn dismisses the notion that he needs a mobile quarterback to replace Philip Rivers and cites Tom Brady as evidence.

Chargers HC Anthony Lynn Disputes Notion He Needs Mobile QB, Cites Tom Brady

INDIANAPOLIS -- After the Los Angeles Chargers confirmed the departure of Philip Rivers earlier this offseason, the veteran quarterback's lack of mobility and the coaching staff's preference for mobility at the position was often cited as the catalyst behind the decision. However, a prominent member of the organization disputed that notion Tuesday at the annual NFL Scouting Combine.

"I've heard that too," Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn said with a laugh. "I prefer a winning quarterback. You don't have to be mobile."

Rivers quite famously lacks the mobility of many of his quarterbacking peers, instead making a career out of dissecting defenses with a quick-passing game from the pocket. That style served him well during his first two years under Lynn, a stretch in which the Chargers went 19-11 in the regular season and 1-1 in the playoffs.

Though Lynn and his staff have shown flexibility in regard to their quarterback -- the Chargers ran pistol option with Tyrod Taylor behind center against the Jacksonville Jaguars last season -- the success with Rivers provides a compelling case for other passers who can't regularly make plays with their legs. Lynn pointed to one such signal-caller as evidence.

"I believe that guy in New England won a lot," Lynn said. "He's not very mobile."

Comment

• Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Once Phil beats Tom in an actual game there can be a discussion.
                  Yards are only one statistical category. Phil 20/8 did own Tom 8/4 in the INT & FUMBLES categories for sure.
                  Phil has never played Tom in an actual game and never will unless someone wants to try Brady and/or Rivers out on defense. Look at the stats to see what the players actually did and consider the circumstances of those stats.

Who is talking about yards? Rivers has had a better QB rating than Brady in each of the past two seasons despite playing in a much worse, much less QB friendly system and the Patriots having the #1 ranked defense in terms of both yards and points allowed last season. QB rating considers yards per attempt (not yards), completion percentage, TD% and INT%.

Consider just how bad a QB like Brady needs to be to complete only 60.8% of his passes in today's NFL in a system designed to offer a less physically talented QB (like Brady) a chance to pile up a bunch of short completions. And yet it is Rivers that completed 5.2% more of his passes despite attempting more difficult passes and it is Rivers that put up 558 more yards despite throwing 22 fewer passes.

If anything, Rivers stats are falsely skewed against him in the analysis because he had turnovers in desperate situations while trying to force a comeback, but without being able to count on any OL protection, having been the "beneficiary" of a below average OL for each of the past 12 seasons while Brady has played in a system that should be very QB rating freindly and he has not been able to come up with the goods in each of the past two seasons--at least not when compared to Rivers.

Brady represents a downgrade from Rivers. The thought that the very mention of the name "Brady" would somehow be the equivalent of waving a magic wand that would wipe out the ineptitude of the OL, the ineptitude of the front office, the lack of a speedy deep threat, RBs fumbling at the goal line time after time, receivers falling down to allow INTs to happen, and injuries is laughable. If the Chargers went 5-11 under the above described circumstances with Rivers, they would be virtually guaranteed to win fewer games with Brady at QB.

As a general proposition, teams do not get better by bringing in worse personnel and Rivers is the better QB at this point.
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

“But Brady made waves Monday by weighing in on the coronavirus outbreak.

He followed that up with a big-time off-the-field announcement which could be an indicator of where he will sign.

I’m excited to announce to the world the official launch of 199 Productions. When I was the 199th draft pick in 2000, I knew I needed to work hard every day to prove myself. Launching a production company is no different and I’m humbled to have the opportunity to partner with @therussobrothers, @agbofilms and @gchopra on our first project “Unseen Football.” I believe in the essence of teamwork, and I have no doubt, our 199 Productions team and partners will create inspiring content to share with the world. Stay tuned.. exciting times are ahead, both on and off the field.

Deadline was the first to report details of Brady’s production company.

Deadline has learned that Hollywood will be part of the long term plan for the record setting quarterback, with the help of the directors of the all time biggest grossing film. Brady is launching 199 Productions, a global multi-platform content company to develop original premium content including documentaries, feature films and television shows. The company has quietly assembled a slate of development projects that include several with Brady on camera, in stories spanning sports, entertainment and health and wellness among others.

Buy Chiefs Super Bowl champions gear: NFL Shop, Fanatics

Brady jumping into film-making could bode well for the Chargers. Los Angeles is one of the teams expected to court Brady after parting ways with Philip Rivers. And don’t forget that Brady is a California native. So his investment in Hollywood could be a sign of things to come in Los Angeles.

As Brady said in his Instagram post, he named the company 199 Productions as a nod to his selection in the 2000 NFL Draft, when he was the 199th pick overall.

Since then, Brady has gone on to win Super Bowl MVP awards and three NFL MVP awards. Not bad for a sixth-round pick.”
                    It could bode well for the Chargers. They just need to be a little bit worse to get to that #1 overall draft position for 2021 and Brady might just be bad enough to downgrade the team enough to make getting the first overall draft pick in 2021 become a reality.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news...e-quarterbacks

INDIANAPOLIS -- After the Los Angeles Chargers confirmed the departure of Philip Rivers earlier this offseason, the veteran quarterback's lack of mobility and the coaching staff's preference for mobility at the position was often cited as the catalyst behind the decision. However, a prominent member of the organization disputed that notion Tuesday at the annual NFL Scouting Combine.

"I've heard that too," Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn said with a laugh. "I prefer a winning quarterback. You don't have to be mobile."

Rivers quite famously lacks the mobility of many of his quarterbacking peers, instead making a career out of dissecting defenses with a quick-passing game from the pocket. That style served him well during his first two years under Lynn, a stretch in which the Chargers went 19-11 in the regular season and 1-1 in the playoffs.

Though Lynn and his staff have shown flexibility in regard to their quarterback -- the Chargers ran pistol option with Tyrod Taylor behind center against the Jacksonville Jaguars last season -- the success with Rivers provides a compelling case for other passers who can't regularly make plays with their legs. Lynn pointed to one such signal-caller as evidence.

"I believe that guy in New England won a lot," Lynn said. "He's not very mobile."
                      That says nothing of the Chargers wanting Brady, just that he isn't mobile and won a lot. And I'll just go ahead and say Lynn isn't Billechick.

It's liars month, people can buy into whatever they like :shrug:

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn dismisses the notion that he needs a mobile quarterback to replace Philip Rivers and cites Tom Brady as evidence.

Los Angeles Chargers' offer

Total years and value: two for $64 million
                        Average per year: $32 million
                        Full guarantee at signing: $64 million
                        Total guarantee: $64 million
                        Two-year payout: $64 million

Kirk Cousins set the precedent for fully guaranteed contracts at the quarterback position two years ago, and in order to lure Brady out of New England, the Chargers are going to have to sweeten the pot.

The Chargers have approximately $47 million in cap space. That does not include the roughly $5 million in additional cap space they will pick up once the trade of left tackle Russell Okung to the Panthers for guard Trai Turner becomes official on March 18, the first day of the league year. The team also has the ability to shed about $11 million in cash with the potential retirement of veteran defensive tackle Brandon Mebane and by moving on from oft-injured linebacker Denzel Perryman, so the Chargers have the financial ability to bring Brady into the fold.

By signing Brady, however, the Chargers likely would have to address the offensive line with the No. 6 overall pick instead of drafting a signal-caller such as Oregon's Justin Herbert or Utah State's Jordan Love as the franchise quarterback of the future.

The Chargers have already re-signed breakout running back Austin Ekeler, but to appease Brady, they would also need to splash the cash to bring back tight end Hunter Henry, who is a free agent. In addition, they could re-sign running back Melvin Gordon to complement Ekeler. The Chargers also have a high-dollar contract extension looming for talented defensive end Joey Bosa, who's in the final year of his rookie deal. It would take some finagling to make the money work to keep everyone.

How could the Chargers appeal to the California native? They can offer the opportunity for a fresh start in Los Angeles, where his family has a home, and dynamic playmakers like Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Ekeler at his disposal. He would also be a draw for fans in the newly built SoFi Stadium and help raise the team's fledgling footprint in L.A. And if Brady can still play, the Chargers would once again be a Super Bowl contender. -- Eric D. Williams

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• SDBORN
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That says nothing of the Chargers wanting Brady, just that he isn't mobile and won a lot. And I'll just go ahead and say Lynn isn't Billechick.

It's liars month, people can buy into whatever they like :shrug:
                          Point is Lynn hasn't explicitly said he doesn't want ''that type of QB''. In fact he said he wants a winning QB, not that he necessarily has to be a certain type (mobile or immobile).

No one knows who is lying or where Brady will end up, but I wouldn't eliminate any possibilities at this point, including the Chargers.

My hunch is still that it won't be the Chargers, but crazier things have happened.

Comment

Working...
                          X