Clear All
  • BlazingBolt
    SLAM DUNK!
    • Jun 2013
    • East County San Diego
    • Bolt fanatic
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
    I guess in your mind 3300 yards and 22 TD's is game manager. You basically implied he was a career game manager, rather than the reality of being a talented first year starter who performed extremely well. A potential future hall of famer, but yeah he was dog shit before Norv got a hold of him.

By the way, his numbers dropped his 1st year under Norv, he had less TD's, less yards, and more ints.
    Mis-communication then. I was only talking about his first year starting.

Norv wisely asked Rivers to do more and initially he struggled early but he was playing great by the end of the season. I even remember making a bet with some one early in the year that Rivers would turn in to a pro-bowl QB while they thought he was beginning to look like a bust.

I think towards the end of the 14-2 season he had become a liability, I feel its a big reason we lost to the Pats. By the next year going in to the post season he was a team strength. I also often wonder what would have happened if we kept Brees one more year and had a veteran QB leading that 14-2 squad instead.
    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• sandiego17
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
      What are you comparing it to? You are a Chargers fan.
      I'm comparing the achievement to the missed opportunity. If Norv were there during the down years and built up to those 3 (really 4 if you include 2006) years of sustained success, I could buy into giving Norv credit. He was brought in to get the bolts over the hump, and didn't do it. Marty inherited a shitty team, got the to 14-2 with the needle pointed straight up. Norv inherited that team, didn't get over the hump, and left the team 7-9 and according to his own assessment, shitty (watch the press conference where he attempts to deflect blame and shift it completely to the guy who lost his job for him.) I don't think he accomplished anymore than anyone else would have given what he had to work with. In fact, I believe he accomplished less. Much less. Giving Norv credit is like giving Barry Switzer credit he doesn't deserve for building that Dallas team. Excpet Switzer did get it done, unlike Norval.

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Sports Radio 104.3 The Fan Denver, Colorado | Denver's Sports Station 104.3 The Fan

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

We should have won a Super Bowl in 2006.

Probably would have won one in 2007 if we hadn't gimped into Foxboro with an injured LT/Gates and Rivers with one functional ACL.

Probably would have won again in 2009 if Kaeding "the slit" had managed to kick a FG or two. To this day, I have no doubt in my heart, NO DOUBT, that we would have walked all over Indy the following week. Who the fuck loses to Mark fucking Sanchez????

Fucking depressing thread, man.
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Probably would have won one in 2007 if we hadn't gimped into Foxboro with an injured LT/Gates and Rivers with one functional ACL.

Probably would have won again in 2009 if Kaeding "the slit" had managed to kick a FG or two. To this day, I have no doubt in my heart, NO DOUBT, that we would have walked all over Indy the following week. Who the fuck loses to Mark fucking Sanchez????
            :facepalm:

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Who the fuck loses to Mark fucking Sanchez????
              Ironically, Sanchez has some very impressive playoff stats. Overall: 6 playoff games: 95/157, 1155 yards, 9 TD's/3 INT's. Average QB rating of 97.45. Put up 122 playoff points during 6 playoff games. Average of 20.3 points per game. Career playoff record of 4-2.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Fucking depressing thread, man.
                Turn the page man. Not sure how a thread about Rivers being 1/4 season MVP is depressing. Carrying around all that baggage is why many fans here don't seem to enjoy a damn thing....always worried like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs...always bitching about something. I have been a dedicated fan since i was 9 in '79. I am firmly convinced that this GM, coach, and QB will get us a ring(s). Enjoy the ride.

Comment

• MakoShark
                  Disgruntled
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Alabama
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                  I'm comparing the achievement to the missed opportunity. If Norv were there during the down years and built up to those 3 (really 4 if you include 2006) years of sustained success, I could buy into giving Norv credit. He was brought in to get the bolts over the hump, and didn't do it. Marty inherited a shitty team, got the to 14-2 with the needle pointed straight up. Norv inherited that team, didn't get over the hump, and left the team 7-9 and according to his own assessment, shitty (watch the press conference where he attempts to deflect blame and shift it completely to the guy who lost his job for him.) I don't think he accomplished anymore than anyone else would have given what he had to work with. In fact, I believe he accomplished less. Much less. Giving Norv credit is like giving Barry Switzer credit he doesn't deserve for building that Dallas team. Excpet Switzer did get it done, unlike Norval.
                  This.
                  sigpic

Comment

• TTK
                    EX-Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • America's Finest City
                    • Send PM

QB Index: Quarter season rankings 1-32

September wasn't a smooth month to be a future Hall of Fame quarterback. The Patriots' offense is caving in around Tom Brady in New England. Drew Brees leads a New Orleans Saints' offense that can't win on the road and is average in points scored. Aaron Rodgers was so out of synch in Green Bay that he was forced to tell Packers fans to R-E-L-A-X.

These are the equivalent of first-world problems at the quarterback position. Let's call them first-tier problems because that's what this week's Quarterback Index is all about: Ranking every quarterback on this season's play alone.

Brady, Brees and Rodgers didn't forget how to play the position, but every season brings new challenges and realities. Nothing is static in the NFL, which is part of the reason we all love it. That's why all three all-time greats are ranked lower than they were in our preseason rankings. There's a note at the bottom of the column about how the rankings are determined but let's get on with the show.

Top Shelf

1. Philip Rivers
                    2. Peyton Manning
                    3. Matt Ryan
                    4. Andrew Luck
                    5. Aaron Rodgers
                    6. Drew Brees

Rex Ryan is right: Rivers is an early leader for MVP, although J.J. Watt would get my vote. Rivers has carried over his sharpshooting consistency from a season ago with a few more deep throws mixed in. His performance in a victory over the Seattle Seahawks was a triumph of patience and precision against a historic defense. So many quarterbacks feel the pass rush more as they get older, but Rivers is still the best at delivering awkwardly under pressure or finding a way to buy that extra second. He doesn't get bothered. And he's done it this year with a lackluster running game and offensive line.

Peyton Manning continues to push the boundaries of what can be accomplished with a weakening arm. The Broncos aren't as explosive this season, but he limits mistakes. He makes greatness a bit boring. ... Rodgers remains this high because his performance against Chicago was as good as any quarterback has looked all year. He can make five to six throws in a game that other quarterbacks can't, even when they are not exactly scripted. Even his "off" weeks don't include many bad passes.

Ryan played my highest graded game by a quarterback this year in Week 1 and added two more very good performances (vs. Tampa and Minnesota). With three starting offensive linemen out, Ryan's improved athleticism outside the pocket will be tested. He's making more plays on the move. ... Luck can get wild occasionally, but he has as much pure talent as any quarterback since Rodgers. His last two games (against poor competition) have been close to perfect. The Colts are finally handing over the offense to him. ... Brees has played well, but he's been just off during some big moments. I wondered if my grading was fair and saw he was ranked 10th thus far in QBR, ESPN's misunderstood and useful stat. The Saints haven't been as explosive.

Next Level

7. Ben Roethlisberger
                    8. Matthew Stafford
                    9. Cam Newton
                    10. Joe Flacco
                    11. Russell Wilson

Stafford's advanced metrics rankings mirror his steady play. He's listed either seventh or eighth by Football Outsiders, Pro Football Focus and QBR. He's making smarter decisions mixed with better movement. He's always been able to take a hit and deliver. Coach Jim Caldwell said his first priority was to improve Stafford's footwork, and it seems to be paying off. But we've been fooled by Stafford's progress before and want to see where this goes from here.

Newton is not adding any running value after ankle surgery, yet he's played well. He's been more consistently accurate and better going down the field. His offensive line, running game and defense have been the problems. ... Flacco looks so much better this season. Even his weak statistical games, like the win over Pittsburgh, included sharp play. It's amazing what an offensive line can do.

Roethlisberger is the same as he ever was, which is a great sign for a player who many expected to decline early. He's completing more safe passes than ever, but still mixes in some deep beauties. ... Wilson still sometimes misses open receivers and leaves the pocket too quickly. He hasn't taken that next step many expected before the season.

The next level after that

12. Eli Manning
                    13. Tony Romo
                    14. Alex Smith
                    15. Jay Cutler
                    16. Colin Kaepernick
                    17. Tom Brady
                    18. Andy Dalton

This sounds almost condescending, but Eli has been a pleasant surprise the last three weeks. It's been a rare stretch of solid and predictable play from Manning without crazy highs or lows. (Although the first half against Washington was sweet.) ... Romo has been rather different with two poor starts followed by vastly improved play. His performance against New Orleans was electric. He has more support around him than ever. ... Throw out the Week 1 nightmare against Tennessee, and Alex Smith has kept up his second-half surge from a year ago. Against Miami, I charted only one bad pass the entire game. And only one pass over 10 yards. That's hard to do. As Chris Wesseling has said, the more you watch Alex Smith, the more you like him.

Culter remains the ultimate enigmatic "Yeah, but" player, with the current excuse being he hasn't had Alshon Jeffery or Brandon Marshall truly healthy since Week 1. ... Kaepernick has mostly struggled since a sterling opener. Even in the 49ers' win over Philadelphia, he was mostly disappointing. He mixes in a few great plays with head scratchers like when he throws the ball away with no pressure around him or doesn't see open receivers. It looks like the game hasn't slowed down for him.

Brady has played like a quarterback too aware of his teammates' limitations, and his own. The offensive line has been dreadful. It's strange to see the Patriots so cautious and afraid to make mistakes. ... I went back over all my notes to make sure I wasn't been unfair to Dalton. But there's a reason he's No. 21 in QBR; he's not the reason Cincinnati is winning games. His best plays are dumpoffs and screens. He's actually missed a high percentage of mid-to-deep throws that were available. Dalton has done a nice job limiting mistakes, but he needs more than two to three nice plays per game to truly climb.

After Dalton

19. Austin Davis
                    20. Nick Foles
                    21. Kirk Cousins
                    22. Carson Palmer/Drew Stanton
                    23. Ryan Tannehill
                    24. Brian Hoyer

This ranking might look silly in a few months, but Davis has legitimately looked like he's belonged for 2.5 starts. He's made more "wow" throws down the field than we'd ever expect considering his relatively weak arm. ... Cousins struggled to close against Philadelphia, and crumbled when things got rough against New York. We need to see more. ... Stanton, like Palmer, can pull off some gorgeous deep passes. The Cardinals just might be able to contend with him. ... Foles doesn't deserve to be any higher based strictly on his 2014 play. His Week 1 was a nightmare, and he was all over the place in Week 2. He's either missed seeing open receivers or missed them with inaccurate passes. No other player has more misleading numbers. ... Tannehill quieted controversy with a great game against Oakland, but we have no idea what's coming after Miami's bye. ... Hoyer makes just enough throws each week to make you think the next week could be better.

End Game

25. Matt Cassel
                    26. Ryan Fitzpatrick
                    27. Geno Smith
                    28. Jake Locker
                    29. Josh McCown
                    30. Derek Carr
                    31. EJ Manuel
                    32. Chad Henne

Fitzpatrick has cut down on his gunslinger ways just enough to stay out of the way. ... Geno Smith has taken too much blame for the Jets' slow start, and we still believe he will climb out of this tier soon enough. (Right after he stops the three to four mind-numbing decisions that sink each game.) ... Locker still can't throw straight or stay healthy. ... McCown turned back into McCown from his previous decade. ... Carr showed some promise considering the circumstances. ... Manuel's benching was an act of mercy. The same goes for Henne.

Too early to rank: Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater and Mike Glennon: Why weren't these guys starting in Week 1 again?
                    On the rankings: I watch as many games as possible on Game Rewind during the week. It winds up being at least three out of every four games played. I chart goofy things like bad passes, completions under pressure and big plays. I have a wildly imperfect and largely subjective grading system. I try to account for opponents, mix that all up in a stew, and then adjust for sanity. Of course this is all subjective, like any power rankings or opinion. It's meant to be made in a vacuum of a quarterback's play for this year only.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

September wasn't a smooth month to be a future Hall of Fame quarterback.
                      What kind of statement is that when your #1 QB is Rivers? As always, Rivers is the most underrated player in football.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                        What kind of statement is that when your #1 QB is Rivers? As always, Rivers is the most underrated player in football.
                        As much as I love 17, is he making the HoF yet?

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

He's a HOF qb if he wins the SB. Which is stupid because one game does not make a career.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X