• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post

You didn't answer my question. History says we've always been a horrible team without a good QB. What makes you think things will be different now?

Heck, we even drafted Eli at 1 and then traded for Rivers at 4 when we still had Brees on the team. Why wouldn't we use a 6 for a QB now?
    cuz none of 'em are QBs I want, speaking for myself, and def don't think they are worth the 6 overall.

you can draft a Mike Williams, and he might end up being a starting wideout in the NFL, just like you could draft Justin Herbert @6 and he could end up starting for you as well, albeit is he gonna end up a franchise QB worthy of the sixth overall pick ?? eye would be surprised if so.

as have said many times, am an intangibles guy.... Herbert, Tua, Love and Hurts don't really do it for me, and not that they won't have a place in the NFL, it's just that again personally, want to be really high on my QB of choice.... not an easy game, as my last two guys of choice were Stidham and Mariota, and have prolly missed on QBs more than I've been wise to.

and don't think things will be different, albeit again would much prefer Wirfs and either Ruiz or Swift to begin to solidify this team, which from my vantage point will benefit much more by shoring up the lines than drafting a QB cuz I'm afraid we might lose too many games in SoFi, or for whatever your reasoning might be ??

Oline could use as many as five new players, and the Dline @least one and prolly two.... not gonna happen this week, just sayin'....
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

:larry:we've had plenty of bad teams with good quarterbacks
      & drafting a qb at #6 does not automatically grant you a good qb.

The road to the Superbowl on the backs of an exemplary supporting cast is very narrow - every one agrees on that.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Tijuana
        • Send PM

if you guys had been the GM in Miami in 2006, most of you would have gone with Culpepper

Comment

• chargerkdb
          Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

I don't speak for O.P but there really isn't a reason Telesco shouldn't take a QB at six. Unless he thinks all the Q.Bs after Burrow are awful. I don't think there's much of a chance we win with Tyrod if we couldn't get it done with Rivers. Need a rookie QB on this team in the next two seasons
          So which of the QB’s besides Burrow will be better than Tyrod this season? It’s not like the old days where Tyrod starts for 2 years while the kid learns. You get picked @6 there is enormous pressure to start NOW.

I like Tua, loved watching him play but he’s probably going to need a hip replacement by his 30th birthday. I don’t like Herbert because other than Dan Fouts Oregon QB’s bust, sample size big enough on that now for me. the Kid Love could be something but picking him at 6? Not for me. There will be decent QB’s in 2nd that will have less pressure to start now that we can take. Hurts, Fromm, Eason. Brees was a 2nd rounder, he ended up being pretty good.

oh, I think Tyrod will pleasantly surprise you. I’m certainly expecting more than 5 wins this year.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post

So which of the QB’s besides Burrow will be better than Tyrod this season? It’s not like the old days where Tyrod starts for 2 years while the kid learns. You get picked @6 there is enormous pressure to start NOW.

I like Tua, loved watching him play but he’s probably going to need a hip replacement by his 30th birthday. I don’t like Herbert because other than Dan Fouts Oregon QB’s bust, sample size big enough on that now for me. the Kid Love could be something but picking him at 6? Not for me. There will be decent QB’s in 2nd that will have less pressure to start now that we can take. Hurts, Fromm, Eason. Brees was a 2nd rounder, he ended up being pretty good.

oh, I think Tyrod will pleasantly surprise you. I’m certainly expecting more than 5 wins this year.
            The Chiefs picked Mahomes at 10 and let him sit for a year behind Alex Smith. Is the goal to try and go from 5 wins to 8 or 9 wins this year or to find your QB for the next decade plus?

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post

I like Tua, loved watching him play but he’s 1 probably going to need a hip replacement by his 30th birthday. I don’t like Herbert 2 because other than Dan Fouts Oregon QB’s bust, sample size big enough on that now for me. the Kid Love could be something but picking him at 6? Not for me. There will be decent QB’s in 2nd that will have less pressure to start now that we can take. Hurts, Fromm, Eason. Brees was a 2nd rounder,3a he ended up being pretty good.

oh, I think Tyrod will pleasantly surprise you.3b I’m certainly expecting more than 5 wins this year.

1. nice, we'll have 8 years!

2. i'm glad we're taking a reasonable approach to evaluating prospects.

3. and i'm glad we're aiming high!
              G-Ro knows.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

[QUOTE=21&500;n982651]

Based on his injury history you’ll get maybe 4 years played out of 8 in league. This kid is beat up. His playing style not exactly conducive to less wear and tear

Mariotta, Kellen Clemens, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, AJ Feeley. A real murderers row there

We won 5 games last year with an HOF QB. 6 or more would be an improvement. I love Rivers to death but the last few years he has lost games trying to force it and turning ball over.
                QUOTE]

Comment

• Kingcrimson
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

I’ve been back and fourth about this. I genuinely think if we play up to our potential, having Tyrod back there for a year or two, we can go all the way. Like y’all stated at a different thread, if we got a shutdown defense with addition of either Okudah or Simmons, and an efficient run game, we’ll be fine. (As long as we’re not asking Tyrod to do too much).

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

cuz none of 'em are QBs I want, speaking for myself, and def don't think they are worth the 6 overall.

you can draft a Mike Williams, and he might end up being a starting wideout in the NFL, just like you could draft Justin Herbert @6 and he could end up starting for you as well, albeit is he gonna end up a franchise QB worthy of the sixth overall pick ?? eye would be surprised if so.

as have said many times, am an intangibles guy.... Herbert, Tua, Love and Hurts don't really do it for me, and not that they won't have a place in the NFL, it's just that again personally, want to be really high on my QB of choice.... not an easy game, as my last two guys of choice were Stidham and Mariota, and have prolly missed on QBs more than I've been wise to.

and don't think things will be different, albeit again would much prefer Wirfs and either Ruiz or Swift to begin to solidify this team, which from my vantage point will benefit much more by shoring up the lines than drafting a QB cuz I'm afraid we might lose too many games in SoFi, or for whatever your reasoning might be ??

Oline could use as many as five new players, and the Dline @least one and prolly two.... not gonna happen this week, just sayin'....
                    You say you are an intangibles guy and yet you dont see Tua, who has generational intangibles, decision making, accuracy, leadership, instincts, lightning quick release......as an "intangibles" guy???...
                    I agree with you that the intangibles are way more important in a QB than physical attributes like a cannon arm and huge size...... the intangibles are what make Tua the top QB in this draft who is already great but will only get better over time..... the following video breakdown shows what a great QB Tua is and those elements are exactly what is missing from all the QB's in this draft (and most QB's in general) after Burrow and Tua:

This week’s film breakdown analyzes Miami Dolphins Quarterback Tua Tagovailoa from the University of Alabama. Tua possesses an advanced understanding of the ...

There are many videos that show clearly why Hebert is likely going to be a typical big strong bust...he is no where close to Burrow or Tua and there is no need to waste a draft pick on Hebert because 4 years of game film has shown clearly why he will be a bust:

This week’s film breakdown analyzes Los Angeles Chargers' Quarterback Justin Herbert from the University of Oregon. Herbert was taken 6th overall in the NFL ...

TT has already re built the OL with a pro bowl right side which will be protecting a left handed QB's blind side....

Until we add a great QB, we will be wasting the careers of all the other players on the team...... almost ever super bowl winner has been a HOF QB and all repeat winners or repeat SB osers have been HOF QB's......

Defense does not win championships.....Defense keeps you in the game, but it is elite, clutch QB play that wins championships........ in SB, usually both teams have good to great defenses, but the team whose QB plays best usually wins.....

Right before every draft, there are always media types who want to create interest by stupidly downgrading players who were best in country for years (like what happened to Bosa before in his draft)..... propping up QB's like Hebert who were never great in college..........

This year the media wants Chargers to get stuck with a bad QB like Tua or Love..... and they would love Tua to drop far enough that the illustrious patriots can trade up for him and continue that dynasty.....

TT did not do what media wanted and take Ramsey, instead he did the smart thing and took Bosa who was best player in country for 2 years....... I'm expecting/hoping that TT has had Tua as his number one player the past 2 seasons (very likely since TT likes consistent production from major programs).... and everything he has done since last season indicates he is setting this team up to be able to trade up for Tua if needed.......

Tua is a generational player which means that there is no guarantee that Wash will not take him at 2, or DET at 3, or Giants at 4....... or a long list of teams could be trying to trade up for those spots......

You can draft a lineman or LBer or RB in any round and coach them into being serviceable..... but that is not true for QB's..... a QB either has it or they do not......

it is also
                    very possible there will not even be an NFL season this year so we may end up having 2 drafts to build players around a generational rookie QB like Tua before he plays a real game.....

Comment

• RollingThunder
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post
                      I’ve been back and fourth about this. I genuinely think if we play up to our potential, having Tyrod back there for a year or two, we can go all the way. Like y’all stated at a different thread, if we got a shutdown defense with addition of either Okudah or Simmons, and an efficient run game, we’ll be fine. (As long as we’re not asking Tyrod to do too much).

This type of thinking has never worked for us before, why is it going to work now? Tyrod is a retread and a bad QB to boot. There is a long history of us failing in this situation.

The only time we've ever found success was by trying to put capable QB's behind center.

I think not drafting a QB is a bigger risk for failure than drafting a QB with potential who may fail. While both may ultimately fail, the latter gives us a much higher chance of success. History has proven that.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                        Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The Chiefs picked Mahomes at 10 and let him sit for a year behind Alex Smith. Is the goal to try and go from 5 wins to 8 or 9 wins this year or to find your QB for the next decade plus?
                        Or the 3rd option, Whiff with the 6th pick on either a kid with a scary as hell medical history or another in a long line of the next great Oregon QB’s who did squat in the NFL

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

[QUOTE=chargerkdb;n982672]
                          Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Based on his injury history you’ll get maybe 4 years played out of 8 in league. This kid is beat up. His playing style not exactly conducive to less wear and tear

Mariotta, Kellen Clemens, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, AJ Feeley. A real murderers row there

We won 5 games last year with an HOF QB. 6 or more would be an improvement. I love Rivers to death but the last few years he has lost games trying to force it and turning ball over.
                          QUOTE]
                          I disagree that he lost games by forcing it. I’d say he didn't come from behind to win games at times because he had to throw the ball too quickly because the OL couldn’t keep the D off of him when we were trying to come from behind to win.

TT wasted the last years if our HOF QBs career by deciding that Rivers could compensate for shitty OL play.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X