• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

On Tua, you can’t win from the tub.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Kingcrimson
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post

This type of thinking has never worked for us before, why is it going to work now? Tyrod is a retread and a bad QB to boot. There is a long history of us failing in this situation.

The only time we've ever found success was by trying to put capable QB's behind center.

I think not drafting a QB is a bigger risk for failure than drafting a QB with potential who may fail. While both may ultimately fail, the latter gives us a much higher chance of success. History has proven that.
      I don’t believe in “team history show us...” cuz teams can go 180 pretty quickly. Look at the Chiefs going from one of the best defenses to one of the worst. Or the Broncos going from an all time great offense to all time great defense in a matter of a few seasons. This is a completely different team than what you’re referring to. We’ve had Rivers for more than a decade with a completely different FO and coaching so we have no idea what this upcoming change will look like or how it will play out.

If you really wanna go history, the majority of the teams that made the playoffs this past year had the same blueprint. Strong run game and a strong defense. Titans, 49ers, Baltimore, etc.. What can you say about their QBs? You don’t NEED a great QB. A great QB will only cover up a lot of flaws on a bad team.

Comment

• RollingThunder
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post

I don’t believe in “team history show us...” cuz teams can go 180 pretty quickly. Look at the Chiefs going from one of the best defenses to one of the worst. Or the Broncos going from an all time great offense to all time great defense in a matter of a few seasons. This is a completely different team than what you’re referring to. We’ve had Rivers for more than a decade with a completely different FO and coaching so we have no idea what this upcoming change will look like or how it will play out.

If you really wanna go history, the majority of the teams that made the playoffs this past year had the same blueprint. Strong run game and a strong defense. Titans, 49ers, Baltimore, etc.. What can you say about their QBs? You don’t NEED a great QB. A great QB will only cover up a lot of flaws on a bad team.

I said a good QB not even a great QB. Tyrod Taylor is none of the above. All three teams you mentioned had good QB play during the season and made the playoffs. It took a great QB to win the superbowl though.

I clearly remember that great defense we had back during the Mike Riley years that won exactly 1 game. Boy did that defense keep us in some close games though...

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

[QUOTE=chargerkdb;n982672]
          Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

1. nice, we'll have 8 years!
          Based on his injury history you’ll get maybe 4 years played out of 8 in league. This kid is beat up. His playing style not exactly conducive to less wear and tear

2. i'm glad we're taking a reasonable approach to evaluating prospects.
          Mariotta, Kellen Clemens, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, AJ Feeley. A real murderers row there

3. and i'm glad we're aiming high!
          We won 5 games last year with an HOF QB. 6 or more would be an improvement. I love Rivers to death but the last few years he has lost games trying to force it and turning ball over.
          QUOTE]
          1. Trying to mathematically extrapolate the length of his playing career based off of the injuries he had in college has no scientific or logical basis whatsoever. The injury history is a factor, but you are definitely a glass half empty guy.

2. If you think Oregon can never produce a good QB just because past programs there have failed, somebody better get the Bengals on the line...they are about to make a huge mistake drafting LSU's Joe Burrows....I believe the last successful pro QB to come outta the Bayou was YA Tittle...

3. Got no problem with Tyrod...he might surprise...but he has been around awhile, and when you are picking at 6, and a blue chip francise caller falls in your lap? I know it's risky, and I'm OK if we think it's best to go another route...but what keeps getting to me is....do we really want to be the guys who passed on Tua, and then watch him light up the league in a few years? Yea...the injury risk may well be worth it.
          The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Kingcrimson
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post

I said a good QB not even a great QB. Tyrod Taylor is none of the above. All three teams you mentioned had good QB play during the season and made the playoffs. It took a great QB to win the superbowl though.

I clearly remember that great defense we had back during the Mike Riley years that won exactly 1 game. Boy did that defense keep us in some close games though...
            That team you’re talking about had a whopping 1,062 total rushing yards for the season. Team totals in passing: 19 TDs 30 INTs.. not gonna happen with Tyrod. Our offense as of right now is loaded with borderline Pro-Bowlers, can you say the same for that 2000 team? Lol.

Comment

• chargerkdb
              Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Hotter than hell, Georgia
              • Send PM

[QUOTE=Lone Bolt;n982814]
              Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post

1. Trying to mathematically extrapolate the length of his playing career based off of the injuries he had in college has no scientific or logical basis whatsoever. The injury history is a factor, but you are definitely a glass half empty guy.

2. If you think Oregon can never produce a good QB just because past programs there have failed, somebody better get the Bengals on the line...they are about to make a huge mistake drafting LSU's Joe Burrows....I believe the last successful pro QB to come outta the Bayou was YA Tittle...

3. Got no problem with Tyrod...he might surprise...but he has been around awhile, and when you are picking at 6, and a blue chip francise caller falls in your lap? I know it's risky, and I'm OK if we think it's best to go another route...but what keeps getting to me is....do we really want to be the guys who passed on Tua, and then watch him light up the league in a few years? Yea...the injury risk may well be worth it.
              No math but the kid is beat up. He would easily be worth the 6th pick without his injuries but he has a history. Even if he has no new injuries he is at risk for arthritis or other join degeneration. He didn’t just dislocate the ball socket hip he broke the connecting pelvis. Pretty fricken big red flag especially when you see the other injuries he’s
              Last edited by chargerkdb; 04-20-2020, 05:16 PM. Reason: That was a HUGE brain fart. Especially since I went to Auburn game to watch Cam...haha

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post

Or the 3rd option, Whiff with the 6th pick on either a kid with a scary as hell medical history or another in a long line of the next great Oregon QB’s who did squat in the NFL
                That would suck. So would drafting any player at 6 that doesn't pan out. Since there is only a 53% chance that the first round pick is successful, that could happen with anyone we pick.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post

That team you’re talking about had a whopping 1,062 total rushing yards for the season. Team totals in passing: 19 TDs 30 INTs.. not gonna happen with Tyrod. Our offense as of right now is loaded with borderline Pro-Bowlers, can you say the same for that 2000 team? Lol.
                  So you're saying with Tyrod and this borderline Pro-Bowl talent, there is a chance we could win more than one game?

Comment

• chargerkdb
                    Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

That would suck. So would drafting any player at 6 that doesn't pan out. Since there is only a 53% chance that the first round pick is successful, that could happen with anyone we pick.
                    QB has a pretty high Whiff rate. Mush higher than 47% I read somewhere recently it was a 20-25% chance of success. You want to swing for the fences you have to expect to strike out a lot. I don’t have an issue with that as long as we aren’t swinging at fouls.

Rich I’m not against taking a QB at 6 I just see a huge risk with Tua and Hebert. Less risk to team taking one of the guys in 2nd and using 6 for Simmons or an OL

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

[QUOTE=chargerkdb;n982823]
                      Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

No math but the kid is beat up. He would easily be worth the 6th pick without his injuries but he has a history. Even if he has no new injuries he is at risk for arthritis or other join degeneration. He didn’t just dislocate the ball socket hip he broke the connecting pelvis. Pretty fricken big red flag especially when you see the other injuries he’s had.

Was Cam Newton before YA Tittle?
                      Cam Newton played for Florida, Blinn College, and finally Auburn.
                      The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Kingcrimson
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

So you're saying with Tyrod and this borderline Pro-Bowl talent, there is a chance we could win more than one game?
                        Lol we’ve established our stance about this before. I know how you feel about Tyrod. I don’t think we’ll be a 12-4 team with him. The outcome of this upcoming season heavily depends on how our defense fares.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SoDak
                          • Technology Director
                          • Send PM

If Tua was there, I'd be very happy. Yes, he's risky. The talent is too tantalizing to pass.

If Herbert is there, and they take him, I can live with it. He's a bigger gamble than Tua...I don't doubt Tua's ability, I just wish Herbert had been more consistent.

I'd love Simmons as well.

Otherwise, I'd like a trade down.
                          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                          X