• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hadl2Alworth
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Send PM

There's no Mahomes in this draft so go o-line first three rounds. That's a commitment to the offense - no matter who the QB is. Sure we'll likely stink this season but at least we'll be building something for the future. Telesco will never do it I know.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

Just saw SB 43
      Late in 4th quarter, C. Warner had a 110 QB rate
      Big Ben had something like 72.
      Who's won that SB ?

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I can understand the concern about accuracy and all that, but come on - Herbert is NOTHING like Leaf. He's smart and hard working and the complete opposite of Leaf. If he doesn't make it in the league, it won't because because he was a lazy piece of garbage like Leaf was.
        agreed about Herbert and the "one who's name I shall not mention". I was more referring to the physical traits. but still Herbert's one -speed arm is not something I'm enamored with. You dont need a canon to be a great QB...look no further than Brady, Manning, Brees, and our beloved Rivers. Accuracy and anticipation I think are much better characteristics to have. after all it's not often that you need to launch a 60 yard bomb if you have 2.5 seconds on avg to throw. I LOVED when Rivers would throw before a WR would get outa his break, and with accuracy. There's VERY LITTLE a db can do with those types of passes.

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
          Just saw SB 43
          Late in 4th quarter, C. Warner had a 110 QB rate
          Big Ben had something like 72.
          Who's won that SB ?
          that SB was BS! They wanted to give Bettis his going away present.

Comment

• Kingcrimson
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

that SB was BS! They wanted to give Bettis his going away present.
            You can say the same about KC vs SF SB.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

J. Flacco is the MVP's 47th SB !
              It's on nfl network right now.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

The problem with drafting a QB is about drafting the wrong one. Sure, I think most draft followers agree that Burrows is probably going to be a pretty good QB. And most would also say that Tua is probably also a pretty good QB if he can stay healthy.

The problem is the rest of them. What makes anyone think that any of the other QB are all that special? Historically, many drafts only have 1 or maybe 2 guys who develop into starting caliber QB. If you remember back to 2013, the top two QB where EJ Manuel (bills 1st round) and Geno Smith (Jets 2nd). 2014 had Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater in the 1st, with Derek Carr and Jimmy G in the 2nd. Everyone thought Jameis Winston and Marcus Marriota were can't miss guys when they went 1 - 2 in the 2015 draft. 2011 was my favorite with Cam going #1 overall, but Locker and Gabbert going in the top 10 and Christan Ponder at 12 (Andy Dalton and Kapernick went in the 2nd, Tyrod in the 6th).

The point is that there I no reason to assume that there is a franchise QB in every draft, let alone more than 1. And for every good one, there is another Jason Campbell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Tavaris Jackson. Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn who is taken and does little to nothing and puts a team behind the eight ball, because they squandered a top 10 pick. We should only take a QB in the 1st round if we are convinced that he WILL become a franchise QB.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  The problem with drafting a QB is about drafting the wrong one. Sure, I think most draft followers agree that Burrows is probably going to be a pretty good QB. And most would also say that Tua is probably also a pretty good QB if he can stay healthy.
                  The point is that there I no reason to assume that there is a franchise QB in every draft, let alone more than 1. And for every good one, there is another Jason Campbell, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Tavaris Jackson. Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn who is taken and does little to nothing and puts a team behind the eight ball, because they squandered a top 10 pick. We should only take a QB in the 1st round if we are convinced that he WILL become a franchise QB.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...?type=position
                  The Raiders were convinced J. Russell will become a franchise QB
                  The Chargers were convinced that R. Leaf will too
                  Shit happens

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

The problem is the rest of them. What makes anyone think that any of the other QB are all that special? Historically, many drafts only have 1 or maybe 2 guys who develop into starting caliber QB. If you remember back to 2013, the top two QB where EJ Manuel (bills 1st round) and Geno Smith (Jets 2nd). 2014 had Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater in the 1st, with Derek Carr and Jimmy G in the 2nd. Everyone thought Jameis Winston and Marcus Marriota were can't miss guys when they went 1 - 2 in the 2015 draft. 2011 was my favorite with Cam going #1 overall, but Locker and Gabbert going in the top 10 and Christan Ponder at 12 (Andy Dalton and Kapernick went in the 2nd, Tyrod in the 6th).

The bust ratio is high but once you hit your set for at least a decade. Lately I would take a flyer until the 2nd or third round unless you run into a can't miss QB.
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Send PM

How about we wait until the 5th round and draft a Tom Brady.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

The Raiders were convinced J. Russell will become a franchise QB
                        The Chargers were convinced that R. Leaf will too
                        Shit happens
                        Actually the only one that wanted Russell was Al Davis and he matters the most. Lane Kiffin did not want to draft him which was one reason for their rift. Al did everything his way.

Same with Vince Young. Owner interference. I do not like Jeff Fisher but he didn't want to draft Vince Young.

I like to think........hope we don't have that type of thing going on.

Comment

• RollingThunder
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

No one disagrees that drafting a QB is not without risk. There is a likely chance of failure. The purpose of this thread was to point out that there is an even bigger and almost guaranteed chance of failure in not drafting or bringing in a quality QB.

I'd rather take a chance and hit and miss on a QB with the potential to be good or great than to go with a merely serviceable QB that will leave your team out of the top 5 picks most years by delivering you just enough to languish in mediocrity. That is the biggest trap I can see.

You still have the other picks to build out your team even if you miss on a good QB prospect. If he happens to fail or not live expectations, well then hey, you're still left with even better draft picks in the process while he fails and then you can try it all over again.

Comment

Working...
                          X