• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I have no confidence in Herbert being able to pull off anything in a gotta have it moment anymore. I see a steady decline. He seems mentally shot. Pretty sad what this franchise has done to him. Saddling the team with an inexperienced and inappropriate coach in his formative years.
    Herbert, Derwin, Bosa, JC Jackson, Davis have all “pulled it off” in the past which is why I’m pointing the finger at Staley and coaching.

As evidenced in KC…a team the Chargers play all the time, they put the defensive players in a terrible scheme for the entire first half.

How can that possibly happen?

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
      Aikman last week critical of Herbert recognition and late on easy walk in TD. And Romo this week critical of Herbert touch when he threw a rocket pass instead of a toss pass.

But I still have to give JH10 a pass this year because he changed Offenses for the 3rd time in 4 years.

I would think the best way to help Herbert have the game slow down for him so he can make a few more plays is to stay in the same system for rest of career. Steichen was his OC in his rookie year. In house promotion to HC would have kept Herbert in same system or simple stick with coach who went 12-4 and won playoff game with old QB while also dealing with LA move and having to force the rookie into action. Reid let Mahomes sit a year. Lynn tried to do same with Herbert. Fans wanted microwave popcorn right now. Injury speed up that journey. Steichen did well with the Rookie. Chargers biggest issue that year was pathetic special teams and OL upgrade needs. Then Spanos pressed the reset button. Two decent seasons and playoff birth and expectations for year 3. But they hit reset button on the offense for year 3.
      So....they have been humbled to 2-4 and offense not clicking in 2nd half and late game situations to close out wins.
      There is no easy button. There is work and commitment.
      Stay together. Figure it out.

Or keep pressing reset and have Herbert on his 4th OC in 5 years and then get upset when it doesn't click year 1 under new HC. And Year 2 fizzles out in playoffs. Grab pitchforks and yell fire everyone. Then hit reset button again. If I'm JH10 agent I'm forcing a trade at that point or maybe sooner.
      Let me help you out. Herbert is broken. No matter how bad or good the defense plays it won't matter until Herbert is fixed. This goes back to last year and continues to get worse
      instead of better. He needs a QB coach in the off season. He's missing wide open receivers which he apparently doesn't see or doesn't have confidence in them. He's making
      bad throws on wide open guys. Pre-snap he doesn't read the defense well. Lots of mistakes when he's under pressure. Interceptions going up, TD passes going down. This
      is a recipe for a last place finish.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Let me help you out. Herbert is broken. No matter how bad or good the defense plays it won't matter until Herbert is fixed. This goes back to last year and continues to get worse
        instead of better. He needs a QB coach in the off season. He's missing wide open receivers which he apparently doesn't see or doesn't have confidence in them. He's making
        bad throws on wide open guys. Pre-snap he doesn't read the defense well. Lots of mistakes when he's under pressure. Interceptions going up, TD passes going down. This
        That wouldn't be the worst thing as long as nobody - especially if nobody is hurt.

That 8 or 9 win team is purgatory and probably buys Telesco and Staley another year
        Both need to be gone

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
          Aikman last week critical of Herbert recognition and late on easy walk in TD. And Romo this week critical of Herbert touch when he threw a rocket pass instead of a toss pass.

But I still have to give JH10 a pass this year because he changed Offenses for the 3rd time in 4 years.

I would think the best way to help Herbert have the game slow down for him so he can make a few more plays is to stay in the same system for rest of career. Steichen was his OC in his rookie year. In house promotion to HC would have kept Herbert in same system or simple stick with coach who went 12-4 and won playoff game with old QB while also dealing with LA move and having to force the rookie into action. Reid let Mahomes sit a year. Lynn tried to do same with Herbert. Fans wanted microwave popcorn right now. Injury speed up that journey. Steichen did well with the Rookie. Chargers biggest issue that year was pathetic special teams and OL upgrade needs. Then Spanos pressed the reset button. Two decent seasons and playoff birth and expectations for year 3. But they hit reset button on the offense for year 3.
          So....they have been humbled to 2-4 and offense not clicking in 2nd half and late game situations to close out wins.
          There is no easy button. There is work and commitment.
          Stay together. Figure it out.

Or keep pressing reset and have Herbert on his 4th OC in 5 years and then get upset when it doesn't click year 1 under new HC. And Year 2 fizzles out in playoffs. Grab pitchforks and yell fire everyone. Then hit reset button again. If I'm JH10 agent I'm forcing a trade at that point or maybe sooner.
          Some good points. Cant help a young QB learning the NFL to have 3 new OCs in 4 years. Bad management 101.

Now that the Spanos family has invested huge money in Herbert as their future I wonder if they are smart enough to see that the coaches and GM they have hired are causing him to regress

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Broken is a really bad description, unless you are referring to his finger. He is top 10 in yards passing per game, TDs, average completion, and QB rating, all while learning a new offense and playing behind a really bad offensive line with no Mike Williams and a gimpy Ekeler. Yes he has had a couple of bad games while playing hurt against 2 of the best pass rushing teams in the league but he will be just fine.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Some good points. Cant help a young QB learning the NFL to have 3 new OCs in 4 years. Bad management 101.

Now that the Spanos family has invested huge money in Herbert as their future I wonder if they are smart enough to see that the coaches and GM they have hired are causing him to regress
              Nope - they are clueless dolts who have no basis of reality when evaluating their football team

But hey, we are worth a billion more than 6 years ago - so go have some cake!

Comment

• Boltx
                Dominate the day
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Broken is a really bad description, unless you are referring to his finger. He is top 10 in yards passing per game, TDs, average completion, and QB rating, all while learning a new offense and playing behind a really bad offensive line with no Mike Williams and a gimpy Ekeler. Yes he has had a couple of bad games while playing hurt against 2 of the best pass rushing teams in the league but he will be just fine.
                So he can only beat bad teams. Got it.
                ​​​​​
                ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

Russell Wilson has comparable statistics to Herbert right now. Wilson has a 99.0 rating to Herbert's 97.1. Kirk Cousins has a rating of 100.6. Watching the games and looking at them objectively will tell you none of those three has played well this season.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Shit we can't even argue with Acho right now. Even when Herbert used to have splashy stats it means fak all if you can never beat a playoff caliber football team

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

He is 14th in yards, 15th in average completion. 8th in TDs, 9th in ratings. So not sure what you're looking at. But here is the thing. He is getting worse not better.
                      The offense is sputtering. 0 2nd half points against the Raiders, 3 against the Cowboys, 0 against the Chiefs. Has not played at a high level all year. Has had
                      multiple games where he could have won the game but failed. He's not seeing the field, missing wide open receivers. Making bad throws. Pressure getting to him.
                      Has not come through in the clutch.

You shouldn't be making excuses for him. Palmer is doing just fine. Run game was OK yesterday. Ekeler should not have been playing. Lots of 3 and outs when
                      we needed a score.

At this point in time he is broken. You can't watch the games and tell me otherwise.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Herbie is the dude, its the world around him that is flawed.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

He is 14th in yards, 15th in average completion. 8th in TDs, 9th in ratings. So not sure what you're looking at. But here is the thing. He is getting worse not better.
                          The offense is sputtering. 0 2nd half points against the Raiders, 3 against the Cowboys, 0 against the Chiefs. Has not played at a high level all year. Has had
                          multiple games where he could have won the game but failed. He's not seeing the field, missing wide open receivers. Making bad throws. Pressure getting to him.
                          Has not come through in the clutch.

You shouldn't be making excuses for him. Palmer is doing just fine. Run game was OK yesterday. Ekeler should not have been playing. Lots of 3 and outs when
                          we needed a score.

At this point in time he is broken. You can't watch the games and tell me otherwise.
                          Sure I can, and I did.

He is 7th in yards passing per game at 265.3 yards per game (most of the guys ahead of him have played 7 games to Herbert's 6 which is why he is 14th in yards). He'd be higher on the TD list with another game as well. He is 6th in average yards per attempt at 7.6. He is 9th in ratings, all of which fall into the top 10 like I mentioned.

He has played a couple of bad games while dealing with his broken finger against 2 really good defenses. He'll be fine and is the least of the things I worry about on this team.

Comment

Working...
                          X