• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
    I am guessing TT really wanted to upgrade the QB room. Rightfully so..and He didnt want to take Simmons and then see Herbert and Love taken soon after. And not get one of the top prospects.

So he adds the future franchise QB.

Then he gets aggressive to go get another one of his top rated players Murray.

if he knew Love would be there at 23 and he could make that move. I think TT would have done that instead. But he didn't know that. And had to ensure he came away with one of the top QBs.

Or maybe he saw how over hyped he was. Glad we didnt draft Love.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

The problem is not the cast around Herbert, the problem IS Herbert.
      I think Herbert could turn out to be very good with some good coaching. I thin having good receivers will already make him better. Last year Breeland, his TE was his only dependable receiver.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post

A 3rd round pick is a bunch?
        Its a Telesco 3rd round pick.
        Actually, the Patriots only asked for a 4rth, and Telesco was able to negotiate them down to a 3rd.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

We don't have that much salary cap space. $10 mil of what we have is needed for draft picks. We need a couple of millions past that to sign guys to fill in for injuries during the season. That leaves about #9 mill in cap space, which based on the prices in FA this season, is enough for about 1 more player, to get a jump on someone (or two) for next season.

Murray may cover a lot of ground vs the run, but is not a very good pass defender (zone or man). This is a league that is predominantly passing. His level of impact will depend on how fast he develops as a coverage LB. We also still need the DT to improve or he is going to get stuck on blocks all day long.
          $10m of cap space at this time of the year is actually a decent amount. You mention $10m for draft picks - the net value of that is actually about $6.5m since the draft picks on the roster will take the spot of the lower paid players. Second, veterans signed for the veteran minimum might get paid like $1.2m but for cap reasons only count about $750k. Lastly, nobody is really going to get paid anymore. I can see Peters getting a decent contract but nothing crazy

So in view - the Chargers have room for Peters and another veteran. I don't know what role a guy like Tony Jefferson could play but he is a good football player that might be cheaper at this point or in July around when training camps open.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

We don't have that much salary cap space. $10 mil of what we have is needed for draft picks. We need a couple of millions past that to sign guys to fill in for injuries during the season. That leaves about #9 mill in cap space, which based on the prices in FA this season, is enough for about 1 more player, to get a jump on someone (or two) for next season.

Murray may cover a lot of ground vs the run, but is not a very good pass defender (zone or man). This is a league that is predominantly passing. His level of impact will depend on how fast he develops as a coverage LB. We also still need the DT to improve or he is going to get stuck on blocks all day long.
            That would have been a huge problem for Simmons too - no?

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post
              We gave up basically an early 3rd to move up what like 10-15 spots? That’s a good deal to draft a LB who’s a very close second to Simmons late in the first.
              So people can look at it this way. We gave up a Trey Pipkins, Justin Jones, Dan Feeney type prospect to draft a top 10 Elite Impact Prospect..
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

$10m of cap space at this time of the year is actually a decent amount. You mention $10m for draft picks - the net value of that is actually about $6.5m since the draft picks on the roster will take the spot of the lower paid players. Second, veterans signed for the veteran minimum might get paid like $1.2m but for cap reasons only count about $750k. Lastly, nobody is really going to get paid anymore. I can see Peters getting a decent contract but nothing crazy

So in view - the Chargers have room for Peters and another veteran. I don't know what role a guy like Tony Jefferson could play but he is a good football player that might be cheaper at this point or in July around when training camps open.
                We can always sign Peters to a 2 yr deal to lessen this yr cap hit.

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  I think Herbert could turn out to be very good with some good coaching. I thin having good receivers will already make him better. Last year Breeland, his TE was his only dependable receiver.
                  And Breeland was out most of the season with a knee.

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We can always sign Peters to a 2 yr deal to lessen this yr cap hit.
                    Thats true -- and if he plays well and wants to play next year - an option

I have a feeling they have had conversations with Peters. Just waiting for the draft to see how that goes and I keep saying it, but the comp pick thing is a big deal. Chargers are in line for a 3rd round pick next year. I get Rivers needs to stay healthy and play - but that would be a bonus.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Thats true -- and if he plays well and wants to play next year - an option

I have a feeling they have had conversations with Peters. Just waiting for the draft to see how that goes and I keep saying it, but the comp pick thing is a big deal. Chargers are in line for a 3rd round pick next year. I get Rivers needs to stay healthy and play - but that would be a bonus.
                      Probably 2 picks and one of which will be a 3rd but 8-9 picks next year is great. Some OT, OC, EDGE, DB talent on the horizon in 2021.

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• UtahBolt
                        Did we win?
                        • Jun 2013
                        • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                        • Send PM

I actually think Murray is a better linebacker than Simmons. Simmon's strength is his versatility which may not have even translated into our defense when we already have a few tweeners there. Murray to me seems better in the box, shooting the gap and at the POC. He is also very good sideline to sideline, maybe not as good as Simmons but not far behind. Where he is behind Simmons is pass coverage but Simmons is a freak there, almost more of a db.

I just think as a linebacker, Murray might be a better fit and more valuable to our defense than Simmons. This kid is really good and will QB this defense for 10 years.
                        I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• alex8080
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

And Breeland was out most of the season with a knee.
                          i wouldn't be surprised if breeland is brought in to help herbert. honestly i could see him juwan or hos oline to be taken late or udfa. help herbert more comfortable while learning

Comment

Working...
                          X