• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

I didn’t like the first pick, I like this pick. Did we pay a lot for it? Yup but did we need LB help in the worst way? Yep. I worry about the ot position but frankly you can’t fill every position. I would have preferred an ot at 6 or Simmons at 6 but if you’re going to going to defer you 1st round pick and accept it won’t impact this season you need to get some sort of impact player for this season if you don’t want to throw it away.

I would have preferred this trade up been for Jordan Love but hey it is what it is.
    I don't think we pay a lot for it at all. We lost the ability to pick a third time in the third round. But that's it. No future pick was given. Also look at the draft values given up and they come out in our slight favor.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

I disagree, they’re all going to want big money and will walk. If they walk it’s highly unlikely we can replace them in the draft easily. It’s hard to find talent like this in the draft, the chargers have a good young core, that are running out of those team friendly rookie deals.
      Having a QB on his rookie deal allows you to have a lot of cap flexibility. We can probably resign all those guys if we wanted to. Remember all the players that the Rams and Chiefs signed or resigned the last few years? You already see the changes with the Rams spending habit ever since they signed Goff to his extension.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

We don't have that much salary cap space. $10 mil of what we have is needed for draft picks. We need a couple of millions past that to sign guys to fill in for injuries during the season. That leaves about #9 mill in cap space, which based on the prices in FA this season, is enough for about 1 more player, to get a jump on someone (or two) for next season.

Murray may cover a lot of ground vs the run, but is not a very good pass defender (zone or man). This is a league that is predominantly passing. His level of impact will depend on how fast he develops as a coverage LB. We also still need the DT to improve or he is going to get stuck on blocks all day long.
        I think the only times that was a problem was 2003 and 2012. Ed has always been good at managing the cap without mortgaging the future despite the chagrin of many posters. Having a QB on his rookie deal gives us better leeway than if we had a QB on his second contract. We should still be fiscally responsible but I see a couple of more years like this year where we splurge a little more in FA.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Consolation prize for those that wanted Simmons. Another PON pick like Herbert. Hope he’s all that. We’re Charger fans, hope is all we got

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I think he may be a better fit for this team than Simmons. Simmons is someone you can (have to) move all over the field. He doesnt have a true NFL position. He has so much talent that you find ways to put him in spots. That is great. But the Chargers already have James who can do all the same things. Super hard to make it work with two of those guys. Murray brings a lot of what Simmons does (although not quite as freakish) but has a true position. Better fit for this defense I believe.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Kingcrimson
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

We gave up basically an early 3rd to move up what like 10-15 spots? That’s a good deal to draft a LB who’s a very close second to Simmons late in the first.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                BetterToday ThanYesterday
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post
                We did not give up two picks, and I wish people would stop saying that (here or elsewhere).

We gave up one pick and upgraded another.

So simple.

Love the player, not sure of when we took him, don't care if he's a solid starter for a half decade.
                Thank you. I keep reading the price was very steep. Huh? Chargers moved up 14 spots for a third rounder and got an elite player off and on the field. Good value to me.
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange...ers/contracts/

I’ll let you do the rest of the work. We can’t pay them all!
                  Good thing there is a draft every year...lol. Im fine losing Ingram and Hayward. Not that Hayward has been bad, he was a great signing but he can be replaced in a draft.....or another FA signing. I wont lose any sleep over losing Melvin.

Bosa, we will see. Would love to keep him but at what expense? Gotta pay him and letting Ingram walk helps do that.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

The problem is not the cast around Herbert, the problem IS Herbert.
                    For crying out loud, they just won the Rose Bowl.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Oh yeah no doubt, it just feels like there’s a real opportunity to compete now with the level of talent in this team for the next year or two. I’m still hoping the kick the tires on Cam over Tyrod, if cam plays motivated he can take a team to the big game, Tyrods ceiling is first round and out.
                      Im thinking we miss the playoffs this season. Would be a pleasant surprise if Tyrod does well enough for us but we do ned one more LT, RB, WR and need to score more points. Just dont think we will be quite good enough this season to be a playoff team.

But we'll see. Dont think Cam is an option for us.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

I saw very little of Murray, but i loved what i saw. Thought that this guy could be a better fit than Simmons: didn't imagine they would get him in a million years
                        Very unTelesco like to move up in the first. God bless the Patriots and that wonderful organization.

Just to toot my own fucking horn, i was the first to point out that it might be Murray (the Oklahoma linebacker comment).
                        All right, i'm petty....

Comment

• Kingcrimson
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post
                          We did not give up two picks, and I wish people would stop saying that (here or elsewhere).

We gave up one pick and upgraded another.

So simple.

Love the player, not sure of when we took him, don't care if he's a solid starter for a half decade.
                          He’s gonna be great. Good guy on and off the field. Have you seen him? He’s built. Physical. Fast.

And the thought of giving up too much is a mental thing. If you’re looking at it this way, it seems like a lot: “we gave up all our day 2 picks to draft one guy late in the first”.

Comment

Working...
                          X